Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

My Very High Very Low Mileage Discovery 3 Commercial
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
disco-nut

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
My Very High Very Low Mileage Discovery 3 Commercial

Well.... I have been naughty. Today I bought another Discovery 3. I still have the dead blue one and the Green one that is having a rebuilt diff fitted, but while I am poorly again, I was going through facebook market place, and this 2008 Discovery 3 Commercial came up.

It has an MOT, but has some issues. 276000 Miles. Gearbox rebuilt, I am convinced that the engine has been changed as it runs very smoothly. Battery was knackered, but with a jump, it fired straight up.

According to the seller, a mobile mechanic has said that the NSF driveshaft is broken. So I am taking a chance on that. It has middle row and front leather seats but no boot seats, I only went to view it to get it out of my head, BIG mistake. It is being delivered tomorrow afternoon Whistle Rolling with laughter

I also discovered that my current insurance company won't touch it as it is a van. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I am looking forward to getting stuck into it though.

Last edited by disco-nut on 21st Feb 2023 11:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #22945796th Jun 2022 7:30 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Barely run in. Enjoy.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #22945836th Jun 2022 8:08 pm
disco-nut

Thanks.

Here are some pictures of the newest addition...

The Freelander is also mine Rolling with laughter I know, I have a Land Rover problem Rolling with laughter

Post #22945986th Jun 2022 10:26 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I think more of an "addiction" than a problem Rolling with laughter

Best of luck with the new one Thumbs Up
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #22946267th Jun 2022 9:27 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Glad I’m not your neighbour! Very Happy Very Happy

Post #22946617th Jun 2022 1:56 pm
Devon Z

England 

Ah yes FB market place can be a bit addictive 😬 a rebuilt auto box is worth a few quid 😁
 Steve

*2005 RR Sport 2.7tdv6 HSE. Current project.
*98 Volvo V70R FWD, owned 14 years, future project.
*99 BMW Z3 30k miles owned from new. 

Post #22946807th Jun 2022 4:38 pm
disco-nut

I honestly don't care about the neighbours opposite as they are parasites Rolling with laughter the neighbours next to me are fine with my cars, but I don't have all my vehicles here. Only a few, my cars are spread across Sussex, Kent and London Laughing and soon I take over a yard where I can start putting them mostly in 1 place.

Anyway, the discovery arrived idling and being towed on an a frame Shocked I shouldn't be surprised really but was told it was going on his Uncles truck, although that was a small transit and probably couldn't handle let alone legally take it anyway.

But I managed to get it onto my drive using low range, but because the back is sat on its backside, I couldn't tuck the car over properly.

But in the space of 20 minutes, I can confirm that the driveshaft is well and truly knackered, battery knackered, handbrake not working properly, warning lights on on the dash, some really faint either from knackered battery or from being lit so long Rolling with laughter Side steps bent, electric seats that have been fitted aren't working to adjust and presumably not wired up, and needs 5 tyres.

Anyway, I am going to say this right off the bat, this is currently the biggest POS I have ever bought only marginally beaten by the dead blue D3 I bought Rolling with laughter I think what is going to end up happening is I will end up breaking the blue one and using the good parts off of that for this one.

Forgot to mention that this has got more rubbish in it than the local tip and there is half eaten food EVERYWHERE, even mashed potato on the dash and door card Laughing

I actually think just to get the interior clean, that I will need to take the seats out.

But step one of this project after cleaning the rubbish out is to buy a driveshaft and battery. I am going for a used driveshaft this time because I am unsure if this is worth saving just yet, just need to get it running and driving properly under its own power, then a new battery.

Not sure if I am excited and or worried with this one.

Post #22947347th Jun 2022 10:51 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I thin I'd be terrified Shocked
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #22947447th Jun 2022 11:29 pm
disco-nut

Well, I am much happier today with my decision to buy this beast. £25 driveshaft and a new battery, the car fired up, and at first the suspension kept screaming inactive, then suddenly, it just came to life and the van went from go kart to smooth race van, this actually feels a lot faster than my manual D3.

After the test drive, I had to get on with sorting 2 of my other cars. But now feeling more relieved about this one, however when I started the 1 mile test drive, the fuel gauge read between quarter and half, and when I was just reversing on to my drive, I notice the needle had dropped to below the red and the fuel light was on Shocked Really hoping it doesn't have a fuel leak, but couldn't smell any fuel anywhere or see anything obvious. But this is ultra smooth, very fast and very quiet. Not what I was expecting from something with 276000 miles Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Sadly it is now parked up again as I haven't got it insured properly yet and it is still a rubbish dump and bio hazard site inside.

I also need to get the drivers electric seat working, blank the EGR valves, replace the wheels, deep clean inside and outside, find out why the coolant was low when I got it, work out what is going on with the fuel gauge, secure the trims on the outside, change bulbs and maybe upgrade the lights too.

Really enjoying getting stuck into this. Sad it wasn't a car, or it would have been insured already.

Post #229543312th Jun 2022 9:08 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Well the exterior looks pretty tidy, let’s hope the POS over the road doesn’t vandalise this one Thumbs Up
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #229543712th Jun 2022 10:09 pm
Nyrad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

276k! beast Cool
 Zambezi Silver '05 SE, loved work truck and family outings Smile *Sold, Nooooo*
-Looking for next one soon I hope.- 

Post #229634219th Jun 2022 6:54 pm
disco-nut

Between my health, work, me in the middle of taking over a company and sorting new insurance, I haven't had a lot of time to do anything more with this beast, sadly not even cleared the rubbish out of it yet from the previous owner Laughing Anyway, 15th July it will be insured, but hoping to get it fully valeted before then. In fact I have been soo busy that I agreed to buy another Discovery 3 Rolling with laughter

I have a bad habit of collecting bargains, I remembered that I have at least 3 sets of different style alloys in my garden, so today as plans got cancelled because the A21 and M25 were closed, so started painting a set of genuine RR wheels which a VW owner painted a whole multitude of colours, I have decided to make them silver again. I plan on putting this set on the D3 Commercial.

I am after an aftermarket grill and wind deflectors for this next too.

Post #229721125th Jun 2022 2:45 pm
disco-nut

3 Bin liners is what it took to clear the rubbish out of this Discovery Shocked Cleaned the dash and door cards, screwed the side step trim back on and was knackered after that, so parked it back up and left it, already coming with low coolant as well, so that's another thing to sort. Wiring under the drivers seat is shocking too, so I will have to set aside an afternoon to redo the wiring and get the seat working again.

Post #229736326th Jun 2022 7:28 pm
disco6

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
your d3

got a seat of rearboot tan leather seats if you want them....??????

Post #229746427th Jun 2022 12:00 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

disco-nut wrote:
3 Bin liners is what it took to clear the rubbish out of this Discovery Shocked Cleaned the dash and door cards, screwed the side step trim back on and was knackered after that, so parked it back up and left it, already coming with low coolant as well, so that's another thing to sort. Wiring under the drivers seat is shocking too, so I will have to set aside an afternoon to redo the wiring and get the seat working again.

Blimey Shocked You don't half take some cars on. You sure theirs money in that?
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder