Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Hitachi Compressor - Rebuild or Replace
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
fusion158

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
Hitachi Compressor - Rebuild or Replace

My compressor is starting to have issues. It starts to over heat pretty quickly, 90°C in about 90 seconds and shuts off. I can also hear the motor slow down before it shuts off and gives an error code.

So my question is, given the symptoms is it worth my time trying a rebuild or should I bit the expensive bullet and replace it? My car just turned 16 and has 169,500 miles.

Post #220188413th Jan 2021 9:09 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hiya

Must admit when mine started to go I fitted a new hitachi dryer kit , that came with new filters , silica , metal end cap , then when that didn’t cure the issue I cut my loses and bought a new one

Also if u don’t mind me adding, plse don’t leave it otherwise the silica within the compressors dryer turns to dust and can cause havoc throughout the system / air valve blocks etc and then it’s like a snowball effect , plus plse don’t be tempted with the cheap Chinese copy compressors

Sometimes have to cut the pipes by the dryer so may also need some pushfit couplings

Before I forget, if u have an hitachi compressor and wish to replace it like for like , check ur bracket and the bushings including the clips that secure the bracket to the chassis , also ideal time to paint behind the compressors bracket when it’s off , new compressor will also come with a new relay

There’s also the AMK that u can buy as a complete kit , but of course all depends what route u decide to go with

If u change from a hitachi/ dunlop to an AMK will req a software update

Apologises I’m rambling Laughing

Hope that helps Thumbs Up

Post #220189713th Jan 2021 9:43 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If you have the ability, time and tools it is well worth removing and examining the compressor as it can be a comparative simple fault that is causing it to overheat, but try as I may I have never successfully made a long term repair. AMK seem to be more reliable and running on their own software operate at a lower pressure than Hitachi, Hitachi will not run on AMK software.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #220190913th Jan 2021 10:25 pm
fusion158

Thankfully I do have the time and means so after the 3 day weekend over here I will pull it out and tear it down. The rebuild kit I am looking at contains all parts necessary to rebuild the compressor and dryer and comes with a metal cap for the dryer filter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GXGS2...3240e894a8

And thankfully I shouldn't have much on a rust issues. Car has been in California it's whole life and is pretty much rust free, tiny bit of surface rust where paint was scratched on the chassis.

Post #220191513th Jan 2021 10:44 pm
garrycol

Australia 

Just rebuild your Hitachi - piston glide ring, desiccant and filters, new aluminium desiccant cap - clean the central valve block.

The rebuilt kits work great - most replacement Hitachi compressors are junk and fail in short order.

The AMK is not a better compressor and rebuild parts are hard to find.

Post #220192213th Jan 2021 11:11 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

fusion158 wrote:
Thankfully I do have the time and means so after the 3 day weekend over here I will pull it out and tear it down. The rebuild kit I am looking at contains all parts necessary to rebuild the compressor and dryer and comes with a metal cap for the dryer filter.

And thankfully I shouldn't have much on a rust issues. Car has been in California it's whole life and is pretty much rust free, tiny bit of surface rust where paint was scratched on the chassis.

Hi

Will be a great result if it’s not to far gone , also if it helps I used some plumbers silicone grease for the O rings etc

Plse let us know how things go Thumbs Up

Post #220194114th Jan 2021 4:44 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I did the whole rebuild (piston, etc) a couple of years ago and still going good. The only thing I did was change the 60 amp fuse to a 70 amp fuse.

Post #220236915th Jan 2021 9:23 am
fusion158

gstuart wrote:
fusion158 wrote:

Hi

Will be a great result if it’s not to far gone , also if it helps I used some plumbers silicone grease for the O rings etc

Plse let us know how things go Thumbs Up

I did the rebuild Saturday and so far it's been running perfectly. No more errors Very Happy

The silica was white and there was traces of it turning to white powder but the filter had kept it from escaping into the rest of the system. Replaced the silica, filters, all o-rings and piston glides and even a new end cap on the filter dryer.

Post #220552126th Jan 2021 3:55 pm
charlietortoise

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Kit

Too tips thanks. Just ordered the rebuild kit off Amazon. I did the desiccant and cap about 2 years ago and that kept it running ok. I have the iverheat and shut down problem now so I am following your rebuild route.
 Discovery 4 3.0 HSE 2010 year. I like it a lot. Now with winch 😂  
Post #220560626th Jan 2021 8:40 pm
charlietortoise

Loose compressor fittings

Hi all, just cleaned up the rear two unions the ones that are usually seized. I can work the pipe within the fitting and also work the clamp ring in and out.

So from you experience does it look like I will be able to uncouple them ok. I would like to if I can but have in line couplings if I have to cut the pipes
Post #221203319th Feb 2021 4:58 pm
fusion158

I can't give you a good answer on this as I have the unfair advantage of having a Land Rover that has lived in a very dry California so I don't have to deal with the rust issues.

My suggestion would be to give it a spray with WD-40, let it sit, then give it a try.

Post #221211519th Feb 2021 9:11 pm
charlietortoise

Wobbly bits

Hi all, to answer my own question. Yes I was able to take out the pipes no problem at all, I worked them a lot last week with plus gas to help free them up. The pipe wobbled inside the ring and with a bit of forward and back pushing I got the rings to move as well.

Did the job this week and all came apart like a dream. I modified the slot on the top bolt and this meant there was no effort in getting the bracket back on either.

Even all the mounting bracket bolts came out with no effort involved.

Happy camper now!
Post #221410827th Feb 2021 5:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >