Post #106349th Aug 2005 12:10 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Laughing

Post #106359th Aug 2005 12:12 am
BN

England 

The reset may not solve a problem, it resets the system. By doing this the dealer may not be able to read your system errors.Therefore if you have a breakdown and reset the system, your dealer is powerless to assist, even if it helps you out at the time. If a problem ocurrs again, it could delay a knowledge base update on such a fault.

The reset is not a vital piece of information, but useful under certain circumstances. I will consult with the other members before going any further.

Post #107879th Aug 2005 7:00 pm
jzk

United States 

Like perhaps if I drive up to "Top of the World" in Moab, then get a suspension fault which limits me to standard height. Rather than banging the bottom of the vehicle over the ledges I could reset it so that I could drive home.

Besides, if the problem is real and persists, I will get another fault eventually. Except preferably it will be when I am driving on normal streets.
 LR3 HSE
http://www.pbase.com/jzk/lr3 

Post #107989th Aug 2005 7:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

jzk wrote:
Like perhaps if I drive up to "Top of the World" in Moab, then get a suspension fault which limits me to standard height. Rather than banging the bottom of the vehicle over the ledges I could reset it so that I could drive home.

Besides, if the problem is real and persists, I will get another fault eventually. Except preferably it will be when I am driving on normal streets.

jzk, to put your mind at rest, if you are at the top of MOAB, I can absolutely assure you, that you could NOT possibly carry out this reset, because it requires a certain amount of driving, but that is all I can say at this point.

There is no way I would divulge any data like this, unless Martin and at least 2 others on the site agree 100%. One has already suggested (by pm) that it be withheld in the last 10 minutes. If he wishes to add the endorsement to this, post, that is fine by me.

Post #108109th Aug 2005 8:07 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

BN,

Could be possible with enough of a run off the top... if you know what I mean... mind you one part of the procedure will be rather hard if your in mid air Wink

-s

Post #108149th Aug 2005 8:16 pm
BN

England 

simon wrote:
BN,

Could be possible with enough of a run off the top... if you know what I mean... mind you one part of the procedure will be rather hard if your in mid air Wink

-s

Thats for sure. Now we understand it more, I must confess it is not a good fix to make public and we don't know what would happen if it was put in incorrectly, sorry guys.

Post #108199th Aug 2005 8:35 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

well I for one would not release it 'into the wild' for two reasons,
1). resets do not repair electro-mechanical defects, and in most cases will erase the 'history' from the vehicle, thereby removing the cause of the defect and preventing defects from being engineered out of future versions of hardware and / or software
and
2). Unskilled users (drivers) may, and probably will, use the reset procedure inappropriately, in the belief that it is a 'cure - all' and put their own & their passengers lives at risk. The small group 'in the know' may be held responsible by the ambulance chasers representing the suvivors for releasing information without the potential users of such information being aware of any consequences due to their inability to correctly evaluate the situation they are in at the time they consider a 'reset' necassary and cause vehicle systems to ignore a hardware failure.

all of the above is unlikely, but possible, in the interests of safety, I would say the best course of action is to allow the dealers to perform any reset / diagnostics neccassary, thereby assuming responsobility for any risk, however inconvinient it may be at the time.....

Cheers,

10forcash

Post #108219th Aug 2005 8:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Thanks 10, that puts my mind at ease. I must say sorry to all, but at the time the reset sounded easier and more basic until I met the guys on Sunday. Then the implications were discussed as I said on site and all agreed it was best kept to official level, i.e dealer.

I certainly am not going to use it on my errors of today in the D3.

Post #108239th Aug 2005 8:41 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

10... you can be so sensible when you want to be... but we won't let this ruin your rep online.

By the way... completely agree with you too.

Clearing errors will not help the dealer report back to LR on what a customers cars have stored as errors.

This is the best way to improve a product. Put it in the real world, gather the data, assess and hopefully fix issues.

We NEED to provide LR with good feedback in order to allow them to fix bugs. The dealer network seems to be the only way to do this (unfortunately in some cases).

In my case the damn thing keeps saying 'low coolant level' when I can see under the hood that it is fine. As long as the system logs errors and also I tell them when they appear and in what circumstance... In theory they can diagnose the issue for me and for others.

-s

Post #108259th Aug 2005 8:48 pm
BN

England 

Thanks guys. 10forcash can be so articulate on occassions can't he? Hadn't got a clue what he was on about last night though, but thanks 10 Confused

Post #108299th Aug 2005 8:51 pm
10forcash

WOW, I am nothing but, your humble servant Shocked
Ifangyew!! Wink

Cheers,

10forcash

Post #108339th Aug 2005 8:55 pm
BN

England 

10forcash wrote:
Ifangyew!! Wink

Cheers,

10forcash
as Arthur Askey used to say Wink  
Post #108349th Aug 2005 8:57 pm
10forcash

BN wrote:
10forcash wrote:
Ifangyew!! Wink

Cheers,

10forcash

i seem to remember me grandad telling me about him Wink

Cheers,

10forcash

Post #108369th Aug 2005 8:58 pm
BN

England 

10forcash wrote:
BN wrote:
10forcash wrote:
Ifangyew!! Wink

Cheers,

10forcash

i seem to remember me grandad telling me about him Wink

Cheers,