Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

HS2 - not quite to plan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

promoted as the greenest project in construction ever,,,,,seeing the amount of steel and concrete being used there have a laugh on us....clear to see in tv coverage

Post #225768718th Oct 2021 11:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64421566.amp

Thud
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #232430327th Jan 2023 9:33 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The entire thing is a typical British White Elephant that will fail to meet any of the original proposals.

It's trashing a swathe of the countryside between London and Birmingham and causing mayhem for those unlucky enough to live near the route. I visit places around Aylesbury and the effect is terrible - roads closed meaning diversions, a huge corridor of destroyed countryside. This is the case all along the route - I've been to a few places along the route for work and shooting so have seen a good stretch of it. I also live reasonably near to the route (although as luck would have it, I tend not to head in that direction so often) and know people directly affected.

I wouldn't be surprised if passengers never travel on the line and it ends up being used for freight.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #232430727th Jan 2023 10:09 am
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Crazy as it seems, moving freight onto trains onto lines that don't have passenger trains would help current passenger timetables to be kept, freight trains not having to run at night keeping thousands awake who live near to the tracks.

Not to mention taking thousands of truck movements off our overcrowded motorways.

Seems like a good idea to me.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #232430927th Jan 2023 10:22 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Freight on the rails is a great idea but this line was never intended for it so even if they use it for that, it'll be of limited help. As I said, it's a White Elephant.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #232431827th Jan 2023 11:18 am
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It should have been started in the North (Leeds/Manchester) and built heading south, that way the benefits (if there are any?) would have provided to the North of the country first rather than being London centric which seems to be the plan of every Westminster government...
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #232432727th Jan 2023 12:18 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Like that... stand for Parliament. They need people like you...
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #232432927th Jan 2023 12:21 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I did apply to the Diplomatic Corp once but the miserable bunch of lying, Censored Censored wouldn't have me! Thumbs Up
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #232433527th Jan 2023 1:22 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

nigethecat wrote:
It should have been started in the North (Leeds/Manchester) and built heading south, ...

And would then have been finished at some point as London wouldn't get anything from it until it was completed. Said that from the start.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #232433727th Jan 2023 1:46 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

nigethecat wrote:
It should have been started in the North (Leeds/Manchester) and built heading south, that way the benefits (if there are any?) would have provided to the North of the country first rather than being London centric which seems to be the plan of every Westminster government...

An excellent idea. Which is probably why it never happened.

I think that there never was an intention to take it through to the north - I think that was just a sop to get relevant MPs on board when votes were needed in the House.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #232434227th Jan 2023 2:53 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I supported the idea in principle but not the costs thinking more localised train services would be a better use of the money and some key inter-city link routes.

The thing that really gets me is the carnage to the landscape, it just seems so OTT. From Kenilworth to the M6 and beyond (the bit I see most) has razed the ground about 1/2 mile across where the line is going to run. Why???? The track plus some clearance surely needs a ‘strip’ about 40-50 foot wide at most not the felling of hundreds of thousands of trees a couple of hundred yards either side???

Post #232436127th Jan 2023 5:01 pm
Leon

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Astonbuiilder, have noticed this side of Kenilworth is the same and totally agree, why so much damage for two railway lines.

Post #232440127th Jan 2023 10:13 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Perfect example in this drone footage:

Some of this stretch is going to be a tunnel but they're digging it all out in order to put concrete tunnel sections in place and then backfill over it. The idea is that eventually it'll all be green and lovely again, apparently. Well, apart from the bits with viaducts across them, of course.

Ah, found this video which is from Chalfont up towards Brum.

You can see that some tunnels are dig and fill and some are TBM.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #232441127th Jan 2023 11:33 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It will end up like the nuclear power station that was half built when it was stopped and abandoned by Teresa May, the country wouldn’t be in the state it’s in if they had completed that project before starting another one that only benefits a few that like travelling on trains.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #232442228th Jan 2023 5:41 am
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Perfect example in this drone footage:

I actually found that quite theraputic to watch so thanks!

A slightly different perspective to most recent posts on this:

I recently travelled from Madrid to Barcelona on their fast train and it was fast, efficient and relaxing. Much more straightforward than hiring a car and taking on the Spanish road network. To me, even as someone who is unlikely to ever use HS2, I can see that we need to invest in our infrastructure for the long term.

Some years ago I was called as an expert witness to a case where the contractors building part of the Channel Tunnel Rail Link were being prosecuted by the EA for silt contained in runoff contaminating a watercourse during a very heavy and intense rainfall event. The witnesses from both sides had argued to and fro, so I was called in as an independent. In this particular case I suggested that my evidence as a hydrologist was actually pretty irrelevant as the contractor had built a containment system which had been approved by the EA - the issue was that the rainfall event exceeded the target threshold which the EA had set. Case dismissed.

From what I could see in the video things have certainly improved over the past 20+ years so far as major civils projects are concerned. Plenty of drainage channels, clearly defined, together with copious amounts of settlement ponds etc. The reality is that if the path of the tracks has to be cleared to accommodate a tunnel so that the ground can be reinstated then there is a huge volume of material that will need to be stripped back in layers, graded and stored in separate areas - all of which requires space. The alternative - a traditional cutting, may have less of a short-term impact but will a long-term scar on the landscape.
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE and 2013 MY D4 HSE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #232445128th Jan 2023 10:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >