DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

HUD on New D5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Case1

Ireland 
HUD on New D5

Hi all
I haven't posted anything since I purchased D4 about 3 years ago as have been really happy with it. I have however ordered a new 2.0sd4 HSE as have 80000 miles on d4. It's going to be an investment as we in Ireland no longer have N1 classification on Discoverys, meaning as a company you could reclaim all VAT on purchase price and lower duty rate. Price jumps by at least €20000.
But hey it's only money!
A couple of queries to all you experts.
I was thinking of opting for HUD but am wondering if you need to program in a destination for it to operate on windscreen or does MPH show up automatically when you drive mimicking speedo?
Also does panoramic roof add to quality of cabin.
Finally I know it has been debated a lot on this forum but will new 2.0l be equivalent to previous 3.0l?

Post #176439616th Jan 2017 7:59 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Link to the owners manual

HUD info

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/documen...c/G1797165
 Peter  
Post #176440616th Jan 2017 8:12 pm
APL

France 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
Re: HUD on New D5

Case1 wrote:
Hi all
I haven't posted anything since I purchased D4 about 3 years ago as have been really happy with it. I have however ordered a new 2.0sd4 HSE as have 80000 miles on d4. It's going to be an investment as we in Ireland no longer have N1 classification on Discoverys, meaning as a company you could reclaim all VAT on purchase price and lower duty rate. Price jumps by at least €20000.
But hey it's only money!
A couple of queries to all you experts.
I was thinking of opting for HUD but am wondering if you need to program in a destination for it to operate on windscreen or does MPH show up automatically when you drive mimicking speedo?
Also does panoramic roof add to quality of cabin.
Finally I know it has been debated a lot on this forum but will new 2.0l be equivalent to previous 3.0l?

Have you seen the full Irish price list? I too am hoping to order shortly, in Ireland........
 2016 Discovery 4 Commercial
2019 Discovery 5 HSE 

Post #176453216th Jan 2017 11:32 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

On full fat and D sport HUD shows speed without destination.

Certainly found it a very useful aid though you can apps on your phone that can reflect onto screen though not great in daylight
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #176453316th Jan 2017 11:43 pm
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

We've got HUD on works cars and I never ever use it, well not anymore since the windscreen was replaced by one that doesn't reflect it back? Our fault of course not theirs as we failed to tell them it had HUD.........
when it did work it was ok but barely noticeable, that's why they are so good I suppose as they are discreet, it showed turn by turn signals and a distance countdown bar I think?
I won't be speccing one on my SE.
And as for the pano roof, SVR ordered without one despite the clever peeps at the SVR section it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference....... then when he drove it he changed his mind.
Personally I don't like glass roofs,
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #176453616th Jan 2017 11:52 pm
ashields

United Kingdom 
How does it compare to BMW

Has anybody on here experienced both the JLR HUD and the BMW Hud?

I have a deposit for a May build slot. This car is to replace both my daily drive D3 and the BMW 640D that spends most of it's time in the garage (I don't use it if it's raining as I don't want to get it dirty, whereas the Disco is already dirty as it rains nearly every day).

The HUD on the BMW is very very impressive. It shows junctions with road names/numbers (matching the colours you'd see on the road sign), when you approach a roundabout it shows a diagram of the roundabout, when you approach a junction on a motorway it shows a picture of the road ahead with the required lane highlighted. The biggest disappointment is that it's so good and I can't show it to my passengers! This is on a car that was launched in 2012.

So far all the only "information" I've been able to find out about the HUD on the Disco 5 is a single photograph on the web site and one page in the on line manual, both of which show something like looks like an old fashioned LED segmented display that can only show basic direction arrows, speed and a couple of fixed indicator icons.

Is this really the case?

Post #177834813th Feb 2017 10:27 pm
60DISCO

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Get the dealer to demonstrate it and see if it mets your expectation, had this on a Toyota a few years ago, not really vey good. but technology moves on, so they say! Try it out.

Post #177838913th Feb 2017 11:26 pm
Ken

HUD is a waste of time and money if you have Polarized Glasses Thumbs Up

Post #177842514th Feb 2017 6:46 am
LIAMMCL

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

^^ As above. I got a RRS courtesy car and the coating on the windscreen created a rainbow effect when wearing polarised glasses.

Post #177843314th Feb 2017 8:06 am
jimbg

United Kingdom 
Re: How does it compare to BMW

ashields wrote:
Has anybody on here experienced both the JLR HUD and the BMW Hud?

I have a deposit for a May build slot. This car is to replace both my daily drive D3 and the BMW 640D that spends most of it's time in the garage (I don't use it if it's raining as I don't want to get it dirty, whereas the Disco is already dirty as it rains nearly every day).

The HUD on the BMW is very very impressive. It shows junctions with road names/numbers (matching the colours you'd see on the road sign), when you approach a roundabout it shows a diagram of the roundabout, when you approach a junction on a motorway it shows a picture of the road ahead with the required lane highlighted. The biggest disappointment is that it's so good and I can't show it to my passengers! This is on a car that was launched in 2012.

So far all the only "information" I've been able to find out about the HUD on the Disco 5 is a single photograph on the web site and one page in the on line manual, both of which show something like looks like an old fashioned LED segmented display that can only show basic direction arrows, speed and a couple of fixed indicator icons.

Is this really the case?

I have just sold a BMW 5 Touring with HUD and as you say it is very good. I am not sure why Land Rover cannot do something similar as it is basically a computer screen being displayed.

I have a D5 coming next month and it has HUD, like you I am hoping it is better than the current information implies.

Post #177844614th Feb 2017 8:34 am
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Ken wrote:
HUD is a waste of time and money if you have Polarized Glasses Thumbs Up

Landrover HUD is laser not LED so maybe be ok ?
 Peter  
Post #177846514th Feb 2017 9:06 am
Case1

Ireland 

Just a little word of warning. As HUD requires infrared windscreen, your normal windscreen insurance might not cover a replacement in the event of a stone crack etc. I was going for it but this put me off.

Post #177848214th Feb 2017 9:59 am
APL

France 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

And you will have great difficulty finding any dealer in Dublin, let alone Ireland, who will actually be able to explain everything to you re all the new tech........speaking from experience!

Did they give you an estimated arrival date?
 2016 Discovery 4 Commercial
2019 Discovery 5 HSE 

Post #177851114th Feb 2017 10:51 am
DiscoStu

England 

My Jag one, presume LR will be the same? Shows limit in area (read from road signage), cruise speed/adaptive distance, current speed, direction instructions from Sat Nav and gear on gear change. I find it very useful, don't have to take eyes off of road at speed. It's not great with polarised glasses, but then neither was the D3/4 stereo. Or petrol pumps.

Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #177852314th Feb 2017 11:20 am
Case1

Ireland 

Ordered last September and have a build slot confirmed for 16th March with delivery 2 weeks later.
Went for 2.0sd4 HSE as should be a little bit more light footed than current 3.0 with 211hp especially given lighter build.
Dealer drove last week in Spain and said only noticeable difference between 2.0 and 3.0 is the sound which I'll miss but will get used to.
What surprises me is how come its taken so long to see any magazine or online reviews given it was launched last October/November?
This drip feed of information and views on this forum is tiresome.
My guess is that motoring journalists will give it fairly good reviews, but will temper it with a criticism (correctly imho)of lack of hybrid which is really disappointing give how far technology has advanced over last 4/5 years.

Post #177858514th Feb 2017 1:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >