DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Hybrid module.. TV on the move?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
gregd

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Hybrid module.. TV on the move?

Hi Folks

I'm new to the site and in the process of speccing up a Disco 4 (GREAT site by the way!). I'm considering the Premium Nav upgrade and Hybrid TV tuner on an XS and have a few questions for you knowledgeable people please Smile

Has anyone tried the workaround as per this thread on the D4 yet? Does it work? Obviously this would only be for off-road driving!

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic41394.html

Is the Premium Nav / TV on the D4 the same as the latest full fat RR? ie can the passenger watch the TV whilst the driver sees the sat nav on the same display whilst on the move?

Can Ipod video be played back via the Premium Nav (on the move or stationary) either with or without the TV Tuner?

Just weighing up whether I need the TV Tuner and/or the rear seat entertainment.. gadget boy that I am!

Greg

Post #5766328th Jan 2010 10:54 am
The Turnerator

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

Have just located the 'secret' button to activate the diagnostic mode on the touchscreen for D4.

Activate the TV tuner and channel

Go to the home page

Touch and hold the 'home menu' text in the grey title bar at the top of the screen and the code screen appears

Enter the same code as D3 = 753 and diagnostic mode appears

Touch the video input test

Touch the TV/DVD icon and the TV is displayed full screen (couple of icons remain) and TV can be viewed whilst on the move same as D3

You can't seem to change anything however in the diagnostic mode. It does show past diagnositc codes and what has faulted via the DTC history

I have found that the diagnostic mode does not activate every time you touch the 'home menu' text when you exit from it and try it again- seems like you have to switch the car off and try again

Ipod video does not run through to the screen on mine and believe this function is not supported

Personally I would go for both RSE and Hybrid TV if you can afford it. I think RSE gives the option to run DVD through front screen and gives you a CD changer. I only have Hybrid TV and am looking to fit LR DVD changer to add 6 disk changer flexibility and so I can play DVD's through screen

The other option you have is to fit a NAV TV unit after and include their TV. I have already contacted them recently about DVD integration and they have told me they are developing a solution for D4 now.

Post #5771268th Jan 2010 8:49 pm
gregd

Many thanks, really helpful info! I would love to add the RSE but I'm trying to keep the OTR price under £40K.. I could lose the 20" wheels I guess which makes up half the £2K. That makes sense ref iPod video playback.. I can see how this would work via the composite input on the RSE but not via the stereo iPod connection. Haven't checked out NAV TV yet.. From experience in my Merc / BMW days a factory fit solution is always cleaner but £2K is a fair chunk to pay for the rear DVD.. may just have to make them a kiddie friendly iPod playlist instead to entertain them!

Good news ref the TV playback on the move at least.. are the icons that remain intrusive? How do you find the reception generally?

Greg

Post #5771848th Jan 2010 10:00 pm
The Turnerator

Picture and reception is excellent- analogue and digital. I would go for the factory fit Hybrid TV every time, I have fitted a few after market TVs and they never get proper reception. Factory solution gets the best install for ariels etc.

There a 3 icons left- they are not really intrusive, positioned on the far RH side of the screen in the middle- I would live with them

RSE is expensive- don't have to worry about the kids entertainment now, they have flown the nest, but I do want the DVD player through the front screen. I have a mate who is a designer for LR and he is checking out the install requirements with LR factory team to retro fit the DVD player as a stand alone without the head rest screens. Failing that I will get a NAV TV video integration kit when available and install that and an Alpine DVD changer

Factory RSE is neat and if my kids were still around I would go for it because I'm a bit of a perfectionist. (19inch alloys look better than 20s and are more practical- so don't go for the alloys Wink ). You could always try an agent to supply the car instead of dealer- I did and saved £6k- no problems and delivered to my door (the car was actually sourced through a UK LR dealer anyway)

Forgot to mention that the D4 screen is not like the FFRR- it is not dual view (pity)

Cheers

Post #5772758th Jan 2010 11:14 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

The Turnerator
Hi thanks for the info on the hidden screen, I asume form your post that you already have the TV fitted as factory fit. I do not on mine and have tried to access the hidden screen to see what info is there but this option does not appear to work on screens without factory fit TV. can you just confirm that you have to turn on the TV section first and then select the home screen before pushing the heading at the top. If you have any pictures of thsi as you do it it would be appreciated.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #5774759th Jan 2010 9:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Turnerator

I have put some photos on my gallery (can't figure out how to put on this posting) take no notice of the signal quality in picture, where I live even the main telly on the house with a giant ariel has problems.

Accessing the diagnostic mode seems to be hit and miss and once accessed you can't activate again unless the car is switched off and back on. I wonder if stumbling over this isn't a one off. There must be something under the 'home menu' text because I have noticed that whilst pressing here and pressing elsewhere activates phone or satnav even off the screen tab for these (I've probably got a duff screen Laughing ). The other thing I have noticed is once you exit from diagnostic mode the screen tabs lock Shocked then you have to switch off the car.

Quote:
can you just confirm that you have to turn on the TV section first and then select the home screen before pushing the heading at the top.

I did not have to turn on the TV before activating the diagnostic screen
I do have the factroy fit Hybrid TV

Would be interested if anyone else can access the mode like this

Thanks

Post #5777249th Jan 2010 6:27 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

The Turnerator
Thanks for that, I have a HSE without the TV and have tried to access this screen but as yet cannot. Big Cry

Has anybody else been able to access it.
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #5779169th Jan 2010 10:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Turnerator

Update on accessing diagnostic mode on touchscreen

Hi folks

Update on accessing the touchscreen....

Press the centre of the grey title bar at the top of 'home' screen for 6 seconds

Then press between the 'home menu' text for 3 seconds and diagnostic code bar appears

Before I must have just found it by luck.... it now comes up every time I do this and you can access the video test screen to allow you to view the screen on the move Thumbs Up

Hope it works for you all

Cheers... Chris

Post #57827310th Jan 2010 3:45 pm
gregd

Many thanks for all your help on this chaps!

Post #57886711th Jan 2010 12:06 pm
2DISCO3ORNOT

No joy for me on that, it just doesnt seem to be an active part of the screen Question 08HSE Hybrid factory fitted.

Post #57888511th Jan 2010 12:40 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thats caus its a D4 thred ..its different on the D3
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #57889411th Jan 2010 12:46 pm
2DISCO3ORNOT

Embarassed

Post #57892211th Jan 2010 1:28 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

The Turnerator

spot on Thumbs Up I can also access the screen with your method. Not a lo for me to change though as I do not have the TV fitted. What is the section about DTC or DTS codes, sorry cannot remeber which it was off hand.
Need to look a bit closer to see if there is anything else that I can access that may be of use. Thumbs Up
D4 camera club 

Post #57940512th Jan 2010 8:30 am
The Turnerator

Hi Russell,

Mine is the same, can't really change anything apart from viewing options on TV and when you go into DTC codes it shows history of faults, but best to ignore these as it's a bit scary and reading through mine I think these are from PDI set up- maybe useful if you get any warning lights on though because it does show some text on possible causes and you could feedback to dealer (and sound knowledgable Smile )

Cheers...Chris

Post #58000712th Jan 2010 10:00 pm
dukeofplwmp

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi were did you buy your new car to get 6K off the price?

Post #60665619th Feb 2010 11:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >