DISCO4.COM > General

Should I buy a Disco 3 ??????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
StillThinking...

United Kingdom 
Should I buy a Disco 3 ??????

Dear All,

I have just registered to your site, I am in the process of deciding which car to buy next...

I am thinking of getting a 'D3' V8 HSE (second hand one)

I have never owned an off-roader before and (if im honest) a bit nervous about buying something ive never had experience of living with.... will i like it?

I enjoy owning a drivers car and would appreciate anyone on here who moved from a saloon to the D3 and give their advice on if they miss certain aspects of driving a sports saloon? Do you regret buying a disco? or would you now never buy anything else?

I currently drive a BMW 330i im also slightly concerned about a discos performance.... I would only be interested in the V8 (as i dont pay for the petrol thank god!)

I am going to the Paris Motorshow this saturday so i will be have a sit inside a D3 for the first time! Smile and possibly booking up a test drive after....

Any advice on if i should buy one would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Lee

[/b]

Post #9335912th Oct 2006 3:02 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
Re: Should I buy a Disco 3 ??????

StillThinking... wrote:
will i like it?

Daft question, course you will. At the mention of V8, Mossy will be along shortly to tell you of the delights of burning the light stuff!

PS Welcome! Thumbs Up

Post #9336412th Oct 2006 3:08 pm
jkp

Scotland 

I went from an Mitubishi Evo to the D3. Best thing I've ever done and will not be going back. I would struggle to run around in one of those small car now.

If you know how to drive...and I mean quickly, smoothly, not just clutch gear accelerator pedal then the D3 is quite rewarding to drive. Not galatic speeds or cornering, but suprising none the less.

V8 Shocked nice, but try a diesel at the same time. Mr Royal Dutch Shell will be sending you loyalty bonuses for being a good customer Laughing

Post #9336612th Oct 2006 3:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco

I have had 530 and 330 and D3. If you want something that drives more like a BMW get an X5 - I selected D3 above Range Rover (including sport, X5 Tuareg (can't spell it) and do not regret it one bit.

I would be nervous about buying a very early D3 and would have the diesel over the petrol any time whoever pays for the fuel and if you are buying the car the diesel will hold its value far better. D3 is not a sporty drive but is one hell of a car. Get Auto.

Post #9336812th Oct 2006 3:13 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I went from a V6 alfa to a TDV6 D3. It is a different style of driving ... more relaxed, however the D3 is capable of shifting when needed, and to be honest when I drive 'normal' height cars now they feel rather mickey mouse and you feel like noddy in his car. Laughing

I would suggest you get onto your local dealer, pretend your in market for a new one and ask if you could have one for 24 hour test... worth asking. Wink

once youve made your mind up you can then go find the second hand one you want. Very Happy
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #9336912th Oct 2006 3:13 pm
StillThinking...

United Kingdom 

thanks for the jkp, surprising that you owned an evo before, as that is also one of the cars on my short list.... the 2 couldn't be much different..

I will proberly have a look at the diesel, although 11seconds to 60 doesn't sound great, although you dont buy a D3 for speed i guess... thats why the V8 will proberly suit me better as its 8 seconds to 60 is more resonable.

thanks

Post #9337012th Oct 2006 3:16 pm
StillThinking...

United Kingdom 

24 hour test drives????

do you if that is something that Land Rover do as a general standard, or would i purely be trying my luck?

Post #9337112th Oct 2006 3:18 pm
dylansdad

If a dealer wants your business and you are asking about a fully loaded D3 you should be able to pull it off.

re 0-60 times.... for the TDV6 dont forget you cah use turbochip etc. to have the 0-60 bought down to about 9 secs and this also allegedly improved the MPG too.
Post #9337412th Oct 2006 3:22 pm
StillThinking...

United Kingdom 

thanks dylansdad, getting a turbochip would definatly be something to think about should i decide to get a D3.

i like the idea of a discovery because as i will have to keep the car for 3 years (lease) it would suit what situation that may come up in that time (kids, dare i say it) and more importantly it can go off road! women wouldn't understand the appeal of that i dont think! lol

I doubt ill be able to get a 24hr test drive as dealerships dont like to take me seriously, im 24 and they seem to think i could never afford a car like that, the hassle i went though to get my hands on a test drive for my current 330i was ridiculous in the end!

worth a try though.

Any news when the TDV8 will be released?

Post #9337812th Oct 2006 3:33 pm
dylansdad

check out your insurance too then. you might be pleased vs an evo Laughing

tell them youre lookin at a cash buy and purchasing either D3 or Merc. discount the RR as its too old fashioned and tell them you need 7 seats for shooting Laughing

If youre open and say you dont know what you want they will think theres less chance of a sale and will be less interested. Giving them a specific option to sell against is always good, as is telling them youre having a Merc for 24 hours to try it out.
Post #9338212th Oct 2006 3:40 pm
StillThinking...

United Kingdom 

fortunatly insurance and economy isn't an issue.... (within reason) (although i imagine an evo insurance might now fall within that 'reason')

thanks for the help, lets just hope that the LR dealership in tonbridge isnt reading this! Laughing

do you (or anyone) know why LR only supply 5 seats in base trim? I have no need for 7 seats but would like a HSE, cand the third row be completely removed? (as i need to have a big boot for all my guns for shooting off the working class on my estate!) Razz

Post #9338612th Oct 2006 3:49 pm
disco

Buy the seven seat with roof mounted DVD. Fold the middle row flat and you can sit in 6 and 7 with Mrs Stillthinking eating popcon and making the family you have planned.

Do it parked on the top of a hill with the sun setting and you will wonder why you ever contemplated an Evo.

Post #9338912th Oct 2006 4:04 pm
DickyH

The 2 additional seats in the back are not removable - there is no need. They just magically dissappear into the boot floor and you basically can't tell they are there. They have no effect on load carrying capacity whatsoever. Very clever Smile

Post #9339012th Oct 2006 4:05 pm
StillThinking...

United Kingdom 

disco.... sound like your talking from experience there mate!! Wink

as long as its not X factor or strictly come dancing or any other celebrity reality based rubbish im all for it!

thanks for answering my question about the seats, maybe once ive had a test drive i might invite myself along to one of your gatherings and be a gooseberry for the day and nose around everyones cars. Would my BMW have stones thrown at it though in the car park? Wink

Anyone that wouldn't mind a pasenger next time DISCO3.CO.UK organise an off-road day id be very gratefull.

Thanks
Lee

Post #9339312th Oct 2006 4:14 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

StillThinking... wrote:
... can the third row be completely removed?

True ..they don't come out at the drop of a hat....but the rear seats can be permanently removed via releasing the 8 or so securing bolts...it takes about 1/2 an hour. This gains you around four\ six inches in depth x width and length of the seats.

Its not an even platform though because the rear seat retaining beam runs down the centre. You could fabricate a lockable cover for this area for your guns perhaps? Remember to re-instate the seats at resale time as values will be affected Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #9339912th Oct 2006 4:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >