Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

should I buy one (Disco 3)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
I haven't heard...

mad85 wrote:
I have done some offroading and greenlaning, both in my freelander 2 and in a defender.
The Freelander is capable of a lot but steep hills in rough terrain will break it. I have had the clutch smelling for days since slipping the clutch is the only option I have...

Ok all defenders have low range & the way I was instructed (N.I. Govmt instructor) was using gears & momentum....a skill to be acquired.
A manual FL2 clutch slipping is another matter entirely.

That's the benefit of an Auto box on LR SUV's - Infinite control of speeds forwards & reverse + immediate access to hill descent system in both Disco 3 box ranges.........only available in low range in a Disco 2 so to get to hill descent you've got to get to low range.

mad85 wrote:
....About spring suspensions, I have seen that some models came with those and it is also possible to fit them, as many people do with the Disco 2. But that is a separate discussion

Reason why Disco 2's get modified from standard is:
Higher spec ones had active ride at the front end (complex) & air suspension at the rear.
Good system for on road use...surprisingly agile in use.....but there were handbook warnings about its limits in rapid cornering - the laws of physics took over.
When these systems failed the cost of upkeep made lots revert to standard springs, I've three work colleagues who've done this.....it's the lower cost easy fix.

Disco 2 - Radically different situation than the Disco 3

I'd be very surprised if anyone downgraded from Disco 3 standard air suspension with "all its got" off road wise with extended & super extended possibilities to get coil springs.
It also means the vehicle maybe isn't then suitable for seven seats fitted as standard, which may be an issue.

Maybe some "keen modifier" will do or has already done this...someone in here will know
.....however if your eventual purchase to double as a family vehicle that'll pass MOTs etc you ought to check out.

The whole point with a Disco 3 "as standard" is the low-range box, air suspension, selectable off road options in an integrated system...for the majority of uses you don't even need to select the off road options, that's the capability of the whole lot. Awesome.
In another league altogether to a Freelander.

Whatever you get you can "paint orange" & make it look like you want.
Years back some of the surplus to the event G4's were sold off at lower prices.
Look here:
http://www.g4ownersclub.com/images/Resourc...overy3.PDF
There is a G4 challenge owners club....
http://www.g4ownersclub.com/index.php?lang=en
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #18351089th Jul 2017 5:43 pm
mad85

Malta 

Thanks for all the comments.

Quote:
Ok all defenders have low range & the way I was instructed (N.I. Govmt instructor) was using gears & momentum....a skill to be acquired.
A manual FL2 clutch slipping is another matter entirely.

A Freelander, with its high gear ratio and no diff lockers is not capable of slowly going over objects, especially when you are going uphill. If you do not want to slip the clutch, the only way is to gain just enough momentum to be able to keep going... at around 6mph - way too fast if the road is very rough.

A question about off road capabilities of a Disco 3... Do all Disco 3 come with the same off road capabilities? Do they all have diff locks for instance?

Post #183528710th Jul 2017 9:07 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

mad85

My Disco - which is totaly bog standard HSE
Has centre & front diff lock
The rear was an optional extra....even though the infotainment screen shows it. It's not fitted

Disco 3's have:
Low ratio box.....on an auto switched to manual mode there is gear hold, hill descent on high & low
Air suspension (except for pretty basic ones) which is selectable height, self levelling, massive wheel articulation - with extended & super extended modes for getting out of things.
huge wading capability increased when in off road height
4 wheel traction control - one wheel with traction will drive you out of mud, snow, sand etc
Tow Assist (may not becright name) - where a system takes over &'slows you down when on road your trailer through speed "pushes" the Disco

Mines got auto transmission which has self learning, command shift etc..

The off road capabilities are awesome....maybe even legendary.
You don't have to switch or select anything - the vehicle in "road" mode will cope & adapt
Then on top of this you have the special programs.
These are displayed on the sat nav screen with a pictograms of the wheel articulation & steering position.

If you haven't driven or had one shown to you - it's worth doing.
The systems are more or less the same as those on RRS 1 & 2, FFRR, with many enhancements on the 5.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Last edited by BLFarrar on 12th Jul 2017 11:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #183530210th Jul 2017 9:35 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Quote:
My Disco - which is a big standard HSE

If it's a standard vehicle, it doesn't have a front diff lock.

Quote:

A question about off road capabilities of a Disco 3... Do all Disco 3 come with the same off road capabilities? Do they all have diff locks for instance?

They come with a centre diff lock which is automatically controlled by the Terrain Response (TR) system, it's not driver selectable other than by choosing the TR setting.

Rear diff lock was available as an option. It was seldom chosen so vehicles with rear diff lock are very rare. The rear diff lock us also fully automatic in operation.

The diff locks both use the same principle of a multi plate clutch activated by an electric motor operating through a ball ramp mechanism. This gives variable locking capability with preload as determined by the TR system.

To be honest, you don't need the locking rear diff. Except for certain, limited situations, tyre choice is more important. Get any 4x4 on slippy wet grass and it'll struggle, but for laning etc. the standard setup is excellent and more than good enough.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #183531110th Jul 2017 10:01 am
mad85

Malta 

yes i agree, the center diff is enough for what I have in mind. thanks for confirming it though

Post #183531210th Jul 2017 10:06 am
BLFarrar

Oh didn't realise that....

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Quote:
My Disco - which is a totally bog standard HSE

If it's a standard vehicle, it doesn't have a front diff Sheep

Backtracking through posts - didn't realise that
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #183627012th Jul 2017 11:31 pm
mad85

Malta 

thanks for all the posts. I am still looking to sell my Freelander. Apparently it is harder to sell at a decent price than I expected Sad Anyway, was still doing A LOT of research about the discovery 3, and one thing that I come over and over again is that there are quite a few reliability issue, chief among is the sudden crankshaft bearing failure.

This would basically mean that a (well maintained) engine can suddenly die while you are in the middle of nowhere. From what I understand there are no warnings that it is going to happen and there is nothing you can do to prevent it. Obviously, it is impossible to fix in a field. Is my understanding right? how serious and common is this?

Thanks
Mark

Post #187292927th Oct 2017 3:19 pm
HS66

United Kingdom 

mad85 wrote:
This is what I have in mind Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Srsly, a reliable car is very important since i intend on going on greenlaning/offroad trips overland. I would also rather have spring suspensions,manual parking brake and a manual gearbox, just for added reliability

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Might want to buy a Landcruiser then Razz , I swapped my RRS for one a few months ago after getting a particularly bad RRS that kept going wrong and it hasn’t skipped a beat, I fully admit though that when they’re working Land Rovers are the nicer car, and having had 3 FFRRs before that never caused me any major problems, not all LRs are unreliable, in fact I expect I will be back at some point but would get a D3/D4 with a manual box to avoid the risk of the auto packing up.
But if you’re talking about doing expedition type stuff miles from anywhere that you’d want a G4 spec one for- I’d have a Toyota.
I’d not get a D3 on springs though, they ride much nicer on air and for the cost of an airbag or compressor needing replacement I’d prefer to have it than not.

Post #187348029th Oct 2017 7:13 pm
mad85

Malta 

yeah, the land cruiser is tempting but it is extremely hard to find one with less than 150k miles. Also, licenses for discovery 3 (5 seater commercial) is around 100-300eur a year. There are no 5 seater commercial land cruisers so that means 500-1500eur a year license alone.

Post #187360030th Oct 2017 12:33 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

A bag of Censored on the eye mind

Post #187360230th Oct 2017 12:45 am
HS66

United Kingdom 

I’d not be worried about buying a Landcruiser with 150k on to be honest.
I don’t think the 80/100 or 120 Series ones look too bad, the newer 200 Series though is pretty ugly.

Post #187369630th Oct 2017 1:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >