Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

should I buy one (Disco 3)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mad85

Malta 
should I buy one (Disco 3)

I am currently a happy owner of a late model Freelander 2... in my opinion it is one of the best (probably the best) soft suvs out there... its spacious, robust, very reliable, comfortable and quick on the road. It can easily acomodate 4 adults and a child on a short road trip. Perfect for a family of 4 but it has one thing missing... no low range gearbox means I cannot go everywhere I want so I will have to part it for something that does.

Naturally my eyes fell upon the mighty looking Disco 3 tdv6, a 2007/2008 model perhaps. There is no doubt in my mind on how comfortable it is and on its off-roading capabilities, what worries me is its reliability. There seems to be very mixed feelings on that. Some same to avoid like plague, others say it is decent.

What is the general opinion here? any models that should def be avoided. Is it common for a Disco 3 to leave you stranded in the wild? Is it hard to work on (normally do most of the work in my garage)?

Looking forward to your replies.

Mark

Post #18349588th Jul 2017 11:05 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Mad85

Welcome.
I too have a Freelander 2 (probably a bit older than yours) - my younger daughters car which I look after 56k miles.
Also a 10 year old Disco 3 HSE - which is a daily use vehicle 120k miles.
So I can make valid comparisons.
Freelander 2 - a scaled down, lighter version of a Disco 3. Brilliant, usable vehicle with comfort for four grown ups, large cargo carrying, economical.
Disco 3 - to me the epitome of what LR were about....SUV's....a new page from what went before, in which LR got thier sums "right". 4/5 passengers in stretch out, long distance comfort, cargo carrying with little compromise, off road capabilities that other vehicles are measured by, massive easy to use towing capability that doesn't depend on electronic trickery. Style (if that's a factor) that my be 10 years old....depending on the owner / users taste STUNNING.
Ownership of a D3 - this is a heavy duty, quite complex vehicle that needs regular maintenance, neglect can be costly. However most of what can be nasty are "knowns".
Buy a good one that has its vital things checked out, realistic miles, a service history, invoices, a trusty source - a wise purchase.
The obvious changes stepping up are it's a massive piece of kit, not a small car built to provide what you see, lots of capability that's built in.
Care can include "doing it yourself" dependant on how keen & skilled you are, finding & using an independent ("indie") which should be more cost effective than a dealer.
The under car bits - suspension & drive train - although robust do wear out. Upkeep costs that can't be ignored.
Engine. Dependant in miles & some essential bits sorted like oil pump housing & belts, EGR valves MAF sensor are a viable long term proposition with users on here going way past 200k miles.
Economy. Expect mid 20 to low 30's (dependant on journey & driver) mpg. This won't drop that much working hard. In excess of legal limit cruising fully laden isn't an issue.
Transmission. 6 speed auto can give issues because of LR mistake in thinking it's "sealed for life" - it isn't. Dependant on miles & use may need TC sorting, you may escape with a flush out & a dose of additive.
Brakes. These just wear out (a bit to quickly) expect to invest in renewal parts. An upkeep cost.
Reliability. Dependant on all above - in my case no issues & my vehicle has worked hard for its living.

A good D3 isn't a living time bomb - to stay away from - just the opposite.

It really does depend on what you expect & "buy into"...that's under your control.
Look about, ask those who know local to where you are that you can trust....ask before you buy.
Beware of low cost "bargains".

When you get to short list ask on here again with vital statistics of what your considering.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #18349709th Jul 2017 4:02 am
gundogman
D3 Decade 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

^^^
Wise words Thumbs Up
 Original Owner.

Mods:
RRS modded grill- Narpy.
De tango'd lights- Beanie.
EGR's blanked -Flack
LED's allround.

282,000+ club (miles) 

Post #18349779th Jul 2017 8:13 am
autobiorob

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

You will probably moan at times when you have it about how much it costs but there is nothing to match it in my opinion

Post #18349799th Jul 2017 8:15 am
trev 1

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

We have always had a Land Rover in the of family of one form or another for the last 40 years, sold my sorted Disco 3 GS 2 years ago and bought a Freelander 2 manual, did not like it for towing so bought a sd4 auto, briliant car but just did not feel the same as the Disco, wife got fed up with me going on about how I wish I had kept the Disco 3, she said (for God sake you will never be happy with a Freelander I dont know why you dont just go get another Disco) so thats what I did but this time a 4 HSE SDV6 and we both love it. Just come back from a week in Norfolk 170 mile each way with caravan on the back without a stop and got out as fresh as when we set off no problem at all, like people say keeping up to it is the key, dont and it will bite you. if you can't afford the servicing and upkeep costs dont buy one if you can, go for it but look at a few dont buy the first one you fall in love with. We are just about to change our caravan and it's nice not to have to look at what they weigh and know we can tow any they have in stock.
 Serbian Silver 2011 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6 8 speed auto  
Post #18350089th Jul 2017 9:24 am
mad85

Malta 

Thanks for all your replies. i do not tow anything, so the freelander 2 is good enough for me. I use it as a daily family car and to go in holiday and has been 100% reliable, never missing a beat. Honestly if it werent for the lack of a low range gearbox, there is very little that could pull me out of my freelander. For me, the new car has a very high standard to compare to.

What sort of maintenance costs am I looking at with a Disco 3? Is it worth looking at a Disco 2 which generally seem to be more reliable?

Post #18350169th Jul 2017 9:55 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

If you don't need the cavernous interior and the 7 seats, you should also consider the RRS. All of the Disco's off road ability in a slightly smaller, arguably more stylish, package. Depending on budget, the RRS also gives a greater choice of engines. If you think you'll want to add off road bits, stick with the D3 - the RRS isn't well served in this regard.

Just thought I'd add that to give an additional option... Thumbs Up
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #18350509th Jul 2017 11:51 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Any car well looked after should be reliable, but you cant tell that from the shiny outside and the stamped up FSH.

Post #18350629th Jul 2017 12:31 pm
mad85

Malta 

I love the looks of the RRS but I do intend on doing some offroading and more importantly I can get a 5 seater Disco 3 commercial. Where I live that means around half the costs for taxation and insurance... Leaves me some cash for the maintenance 😁

Post #18350679th Jul 2017 12:49 pm
mad85

Malta 

This is what I have in mind Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Srsly, a reliable car is very important since i intend on going on greenlaning/offroad trips overland. I would also rather have spring suspensions,manual parking brake and a manual gearbox, just for added reliability

Post #18350759th Jul 2017 1:37 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

Backward Step...

mad85 wrote:
Thanks for all your replies. i do not tow anything, so the freelander 2 is good enough for me. I use it as a daily family car and to go in holiday and has been 100% reliable, never missing a beat. Honestly if it werent for the lack of a low range gearbox, there is very little that could pull me out of my freelander. For me, the new car has a very high standard to compare to......

OK the D3 is a package you buy into....all or nought
Air Suspension....D3's came with either - the lower spec models people bought & used I've never experienced.
Low Range.....unless you go off-road or use it in a harsh winter...you have to decide whether it's a deal breaker. Go to an experience centre & you'll see D4/5 alongside DiscoSport (aka FL2). Both do the same thing - but the larger with low range & air ride chassis more capably.

What's the quest for a low range box actually for ?

Cargo space.....most use it...saves hiring vans
Towing capability.....some use it others don't don't...... but it's there itvwasnt an option it's built in with some very clever features
Split Tail Gate....again standard for the D3/4....has to be used to experience its virtues....simple idea that just works.

D3 - It is a big solid piece of kit.....an SUV....heavy chassis.
FL2 - much lighter in build more a car......monocoque

[quote="mad85")....What sort of maintenance costs am I looking at with a Disco 3? Is it worth looking at a Disco 2 which generally seem to be more reliable?[/quote]

Disco 2....I've had a few - step forwards from Disco 1.....considerable difference to even a low spec Disco 3 & unless you're lucky you'll be buying an older vehicle with age issues.[/quote]
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #18350769th Jul 2017 1:39 pm
BLFarrar

Errr...

mad85 wrote:
This is what I have in mind Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Srsly, a reliable car is very important since i intend on going on greenlaning/offroad trips overland. I would also rather have spring suspensions,manual parking brake and a manual gearbox, just for added reliability

Can't be sure but the challenge Discos......I don't think came with springs, manual handbrake, or manual transmission others will confirm this.
If your going off road - auto is a a virtue as it's less likely to stall.
Have you done much greenlaning or off-roading ?
Gets some research done before you spend.
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #18350789th Jul 2017 1:49 pm
mad85

Malta 

I have done some offroading and greenlaning, both in my freelander 2 and in a defender. The Freelander is capable of a lot but steep hills in rough terrain will break it. I have had the clutch smelling for days since slipping the clutch is the only option I have. A low range just makes it much more controllable. I showed you the picture of the Challenge to show you that offroading capabilities are important to me.... And because I like how it looks Very Happy

About spring suspensions, I have seen that some models came with those and it is also possible to fit them, as many people do with the Disco 2. But that is a separate discussion

Post #18350829th Jul 2017 2:30 pm
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It is a good idea buying one with a bike on the roof then when it breaks down you have something to get home on Whistle
Go on buy one you will love it Thumbs Up
 The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the best of everything they have. 

Post #18350839th Jul 2017 2:31 pm
G7jtk

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If you offered enough money I might consider allowing you to buy mine. Whistle

Post #18350889th Jul 2017 3:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >