I can't imagine.......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

MacLeod 313 wrote:
NeilD wrote:
That bloke doesnt look like Jason Laughing

(off now to hide away UNDER the sofa! - Only a joke Jas!)

Evil or Very Mad I got only 3 medals Neil, and ALL my Grandads to which I am allowed to Parade on the opposite side to mine.

Saw it a while back in the News, each to their own, he obviously had a reason but the punishment should also have been doing his community service in a Garrison Town......the jibs and ridicule would make him see sense.

I think he must have either been a wannabe or he has some kind of mental issue Shocked .

TBH honest the work the forces do is the bravest of all and the UK troops are 2nd to none - if you have medals I expect the feeling is quite sick when you seen someone like that parading around Bow down
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #57990112th Jan 2010 8:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

What most dont realise is that my British awarded medals have your Name/Number engraved around the edge.....

Thinking outside the box too, he still is Parading earned Medals, whether they are his or not, still represent a relevent campaign/war taken part by the person whose name should be on the medal edge

Post #57990812th Jan 2010 8:23 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Why have your medals got my name on them? I'm confused. Embarassed
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #57992212th Jan 2010 8:36 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

ND

I think Jase went all posh and started talking third person.

If your medal is issued by the British Govt and bears the Queens head it will have your name/rank and number engraved on the edge. That way it means a lot more to people. Also when times are hard when the Govt turn you over a collection from 1 person is worth a bit more.

If it's issued by the UN/IFOR/UNPROFOR etc it is normaly a bronze colour with no name inscribed on it. But means just as much to the person issued it.

EDIT

To add pic to show engraving on the side of my medals

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #57994112th Jan 2010 9:01 pm
shellshock

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

slightly Off Topic

Until I read this thread I didn't realise you could wear a father/grandfather's medal. Would this apply only if you were in the forces yourself - what are the rules/protocols?
 ALTERNATIVES...............No alternatives for off-road capability.
If you want Surrey plush, go for a Range Rover. If you want Manchester bling it's the Range Rover Sport. But if it's a seven-seat, go anywhere 4x4, it's time to Disco.
(Daily Telegraph 08/08/09) 

Post #58002112th Jan 2010 10:16 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Nope, your grandfather earned his medals, and as a relative, you are definately allowed to Parade HIS medals. Why would'nt you, its a mark of respect to your Grandfather tbh. For you it would'nt be a case of falsely claiming the medals yourself, but if you are proud of his acheivments definately GO FOR IT Thumbs Up

Post #58002312th Jan 2010 10:20 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

I can wear my Grand fathers medals on the right side of my service dress. Mine go on the left. For formal military parades I've never seen a soldier wear two sets of medals. And that's after just over 23yrs of service.

It all depends on the function that you are attending. A black tie dinner would be acceptable to wear medals IF the function is military orientated. I have a black tie function at Gatwick in a couple of weeks with the Round Table. I wouldn't dream of wearing my miniatures.

Quick Explanation.

Full size medals are worn with No2 Dress. The khaki green uniform you see when the soldiers are taken off the Herc at Lynham.

Miniatures are worn on Mess dress. For my Corps this is Black trs and a black waistcoat with a red jkt. Other Arms and Corps have different colours. They are also worn on a Tux if so inclined
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Last edited by MARKW on 13th Jan 2010 10:18 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #58002812th Jan 2010 10:24 pm
shellshock

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I was just out of interest really. My father served in Suez - something we talked about when I was in my teens 25+ years ago. After he died, we found one medal (last seen AFAICR when I was still a junior school). Never saw him wear it but I know he was proud of it (it was kept safe with other "important stuff") but essetially a very modest person. With hindsight would like to have seen him wear it (on appropriate occasions, obviously) but I wouldn't think of wearing it really.

Thanks for the responses Mac and Mark (for the explanation Thumbs Up )
 ALTERNATIVES...............No alternatives for off-road capability.
If you want Surrey plush, go for a Range Rover. If you want Manchester bling it's the Range Rover Sport. But if it's a seven-seat, go anywhere 4x4, it's time to Disco.
(Daily Telegraph 08/08/09) 

Post #58004412th Jan 2010 10:41 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

MARKW wrote:
Full size medals are worn with No2 Dress. The khaki green uniform you see when the soldiers are taken off the Herc at Lynham
That's a C17, traditionally flown out of BZN but currently operating from LYN for repatriation flights - might have changed in the last 2 years, thankfully out of both sandpits now Thumbs Up  
Post #58012712th Jan 2010 11:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

MARKW wrote:
ND

I think Jase went all posh and started talking third person.

If your medal is issued by the British Govt and bears the Queens head it will have your name/rank and number engraved on the edge. That way it means a lot more to people. Also when times are hard when the Govt turn you over a collection from 1 person is worth a bit more.

If it's issued by the UN/IFOR/UNPROFOR etc it is normaly a bronze colour with no name inscribed on it. But means just as much to the person issued it.

EDIT

To add pic to show engraving on the side of my medals

Click image to enlarge

Bow down Good set of Gongs there Mark, hats off fella.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #58016813th Jan 2010 12:43 am
Hassle

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

MacLeod 313 wrote:
What most dont realise is that my British awarded medals have your Name/Number engraved around the edge.....

The chocolate coin from Marks and Spencers or was it the Queen came with no writting on Whistle

Post #58017013th Jan 2010 12:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >