Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

I was going to buy an MY10 D4, until I read this...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
doubledoom

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I have three cars (family) - all from new - and tend to change one each year. I have no favourite brand and will go where the quality is. In the last 6 years I have had BMW, Audi, Landrover and Jaguar.

The two Audi's we had were dire on quality and issues. I had an S5 which was in to the dealers about 15 times over 2 years with various faults. The A3 had a fault from day one which they couldnt fix and couldnt really be bothered to fix either. The Jaguar had no faults in 2 years apart from a key fob issue which was easily fixed. The BMW has had no faults but havent had that long although the Mini is 6 months old and has had a fault since the first month that has occurred 6 times and couldnt be located until recently and has been fine since. The Discovery 4 is now 13 months old and has had no faults. Although the Ipod cable was replaced at service as the connector was wobbly and the sound could drop out. That was an accessory fault rather than the car.

You should never use the comments of one person to dictate what car you should have. You should also be wary of internet sites making incorrect claims. Even those like Which? (consumers association). They said you shouldnt buy a D4 as it is unreliable but all their data was based on the D3, which was actually unreliable (but loved).

Post #8453519th Oct 2011 9:33 pm
Walkzinho

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Ive got some interest in my Z4 so as soon as that goes its all systems go. Ive got a 52 TD5 to rock around in until I find the right deal and I'm certainly not rushing into anything. It'll be interesting to see what prices do over the next few months, with one thing and another (double dip anyone) so I think I'm prudent in selling the Z4 whilst i can get a good price for it. As we all know, the first thing to take a hit come recession is luxury car prices. I'll be a cash buyer, so I'm going to consider my decision over the next month or two, I might even wait for the influx of 60/11 plates coming in due to people changing to MY12's.

I don't need an O-licence, my business is registered at a home address. Ive been stopped by VOSA before in the Navara and all they require is the tacho (which I'm also having great difficulty in finding a suitable location for) and the info to be downloaded yada yada yada.

Post #84649711th Oct 2011 11:38 pm
Dan_NL

Does anybody ever check the comments on this site : http://landroverhell.com/article/3564

Quote:
Land Rover Azur Cars
My name is Francesca, and I recently moved to Antibes, France with my daughters, Chiara and Allegra. We are English and chose our new car three years ago from Land Rover Azur Cars

I tried to find 'Azur Cars' or even 'Landrover' near Antibes... they do not exist... Should check on old satnav disk
if they are on there as a dealer... If you read the articles on that site : they are all the same style, use the same abbrevations and spelling errors it seems.. They all have the same faulty "spell check" in their system.. It looks to me that someone holds a grudge and expands on it hugely...

Post #84650212th Oct 2011 1:12 am
dantheman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
I don't need an O-licence, my business is registered at a home address. Ive been stopped by VOSA before in the Navara and all they require is the tacho (which I'm also having great difficulty in finding a suitable location for) and the info to be downloaded yada yada yada.

The rules are changing on the 4th dec!! See other thread. Chances are the D3/4 will be exempt but VOSA dont really know for sure. Whistle Keep an eye on 'O license' thread for info.

Post #84683512th Oct 2011 11:05 pm
addicted to nurburgring

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

In my experience, both of our Discovery's (D3 owned for 4 years/43k miles and D4 owned for 1.5 years/13K miles) have been far more reliable the the German marques I have owned in recent years. Our D3 had a problem with a parking sensor that was fixed under warranty. A number of close friends run Land Rover products and none have reported major issues.

In comparison, My Audi B7 RS4 suffered suspension failure after 1,500 miles. The dealer took 6 weeks to and 3 visits fix. It also had a number of other major issues such as carbon build up and it didn't make anywhere near its stated BHP output. our Cayenne had a number of issues during my ownership as did my previous 911. I have not owned a BMW or Merc for a number of years however, speaking to owners and reading posts from owners on Ph, they all have their issues.
 Current:
2014 RRS 3.0 HSE
Porsche 997 GT3
BMW 118d SE
Past:
D4 HSE 3.0 TDV6 Auto
D3 HSE 2.7 TDV6 Auto 

Post #84815416th Oct 2011 11:26 pm
koen_dr

Belgium 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Hi Guys, I had my share of problems too with my 50.000km's Disco 4 3.0TDv6 HSE, but I never wanted to excplicitly throw my guts out on forums, because I'm a member and do follow up and hate it when people only log on to spill out there frustrations.

So nevertheless I wanted to inform everyone about my day to day life with my 2010 Disco 4.

I can inform you that different engine parts are refitted to my car after different breakdowns and "low power" limp modes without even giving fault codes, so they had to dig deep but alle was blamed to a faulty valve between the 2 turbo's and a loose inlet trajectory. These problems went on over a period of 1.5 - 2 months and are now sorted for about a month. I also had the steering wheel wobble, which comes and goes, but for now it's mostly gone, but never the less I will have this further examined when the D4 goes in for service.

I would like to say that I still love my car after 2 years, 50.000km's and the short comings that went by. Overall the quality is top notch, Notting rattles, everything works like it should, radio, touch screens, all electronics. The car feels very solid, build quality is really impeccable!

We manufacture high-end interior products with very technical parts and also work extremely hard to deliver perfect materials to every house or building we deliver too, but it's just not possible to have 0% service popping up...

It's just not fair to blame Land Rover so hard, BMW M V10's blow up too, Audi RS4 V8's eat their camshafts up too, Nissan's GT-R's gearboxes gets it's teeth thrown out with launch control, Lambo's and Ferrari's burn down to ashes, and so on!!!!!! Go figure, you buy a +€275.000 Lambo and go for a spirited drive to only pop marshmellows half way down your exiting drive Mr. Green
 2015 Discovery SDV6 HSE Fuji White with Black pack
Old:2010 LR4 Discovery 3.0TDV6 HSE Full Spec 

Post #86050018th Nov 2011 4:54 pm
Reginald Molehusband

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

You pays yer money and you makes yer choice.
 2016 D4 Landmark SDV6 (Euro6), Zanzibar (late run D4)
2009 D4 HSE TDV6, Bali blue (first run D4)
2007 RRS TDV8 HSE, some blue

http://www.lothian4x4response.org 

Post #86051218th Nov 2011 5:22 pm
mr.t

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR4

Speaking with a busy Land Rover Service centre last week details the following recurring issues with D4's...

1, Squeaky rear brakes.
2. Err nothing else.

...I must have been unlucky to have a dicky rear wiper switch.

(61 Plate, 10000 miles in 5 months)

Thumbs Up

(Previously had a late model Shogun with a £1300 recurring fuelpump issue - 'microfilters' ....and a Late Cherokee Jeep that could warp a set of front discs in 3000 miles that Jeep used to just swap until it they ran out of cash for discs!
An L200 blew up on the M6 within 1 hour of me selling it, was perfectly serviceable before that and I had actually driven it to the buyer to look at twice, 150 miles each time)
 LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 Alaska White
LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 Nara Bronze (Gone)
D4 Landmark SDV6 Black(Gone)
Velar 240 S Eiger Grey
FLTRXST

Post #89778716th Feb 2012 9:10 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

doubledoom wrote:

The two Audi's we had were dire on quality and issues. I had an S5 which was in to the dealers about 15 times over 2 years with various faults.

Ditto with my A6 Avant....so much so that I "rejected" it 18 months into ownership (55 plate,from new)....basically it was in the dealers again and told them it could stay there till it rotted.....most unreliable car I have ever had.They finally agreed to buy it back from me,saying it must have been a "Friday" car as Audis are known for their reliablility Rolling Eyes
There is no car that is "bombproof".....
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #89779616th Feb 2012 9:34 am
MadJax

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I remember the days I used to get a new company car every couple of years. OK they were only Astra's and Vectra's. Boy were they all a bag of Censored And don't mention the dealers, just did not give a Censored

One Vectra kept stalling as I aproched roundabouts, straight from the showroom. I went straight back and the service man asked 'Do you know how to drive a manual' Only thing that saved him was my Karate Training Exclamation

Eventally I was given the oppertunity to take a monthly cash allowance and allong pooped my Freelander. Yes it had problems, probably cost more than it needed to, bt it was all sorted out and fun to drive.

I changed my D2 6 months ago. I had the oppertunity to look at the opposition and with all the grief I get from the Landcruiser Prado community thought about changing. Well for about 3 seconds. Wife wanted me to look at the Toyota Kluger, ruled that out as it petrol and you could get a 2 wheel drive version. Thank goodness.

Got to test drive a 6 month old D4, never looked back. Yes I will get problems, but I'll live with them. The car is just fantastic to drive and as long as we don't have a fire ban this weekend I'll be getting it dirty.

Somtimes you just have to go with your heart. Land Rover for me, bring on the D5......... until they stop me driving Thumbs Up
 Discovery 4 2.7 SE
Defender 130 TD5 - Daily Drive
2.7t Caravan
Java TD5 HSE - Gone but not forgotten.
Java V6 Freelander - Had fun in it. 

Post #89781516th Feb 2012 10:30 am
adam

United Kingdom 

MadJax wrote:
I remember the days I used to get a new company car every couple of years. OK they were only Astra's and Vectra's. Boy were they all a bag of Censored And don't mention the dealers, just did not give a Censored
:

I had the pleasure of years of Vauxhall ownership - apart from one 1988 Cavalier - all a total bag of c**p, not starting, breaking down, gearbox failure, rattles. Dealer(s) - nightmares - lost count of repeated visits

Had issues on D3 and 4 - but pleasure far outweighs pain

Post #89782116th Feb 2012 10:42 am
alltnaha

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

My 1992 FFRR broke down once a year for 6 years. I reluctantly ( haven driven Defenders in the Army ) thought never again LR so bought an Isuzu , which never broke down but got stuck off road where the FFRR would not have done.

So I decided to give LR one last chance and bought one of the first D3s - never let me down and now D4 in 2 weeks. Without doubt best car I have ever owned.

John

Post #89783016th Feb 2012 10:56 am
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

well as a previous german all the way man myself and now in a D3 id say go for it. i had two A6 from new and they were faultless and i mean no so much as a bulb failure but compare to a D3 they are sooooooooooooooo boring Yawn

my work colleague had exactly the same as me and tore a clutch out at 9000 miles and got told to whistle for the warraty repair as it was considered wear and tear £1300 later Shocked other A6 owner on a 3 year old one i know had a turbo failure £1500 so there all fallable.

Are landrovers generally as reliable as the big german marques NO are they 10 times the fun to own and make you smile everytime you walk back to the car park BIG YES Thumbs Up whats the worst that can happen you get a dud and sell it on there are plenty of loonies like us that will but it Thumbs Up
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #89785016th Feb 2012 11:44 am
Discotwinturbo

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Check this one out.....seems Yotas have even more problems

www.ohwhatalemon.com/

Thumbs Up

Brett....

Post #92516626th Apr 2012 2:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top