Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

I got stuck today...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
freeflytim

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
I got stuck today...

While driving on the airport property today in high grass at a conservative speed the front of the Disco slams into a unseen ditch.
Crap.
Back and forth in all the modes didn’t work.
Truck is in ‘extended mode’ with the front left wheel hanging in the air and because of the angle I was in the hole the rear wheels were not getting any traction either.
Crap.
I walk back and get one of the airport maintenance guys and a very large tractor. We hook up a strap to my rear recovery point and the tractor pulls, pulls, and pulls some more. Im helping but Im not going anywhere. The 4 foot tall tyres on the tractor are actually turning but Im not going anywhere. He tries low. Nothing. He is just spinning his tyres.
Crap.
The tractor is not going to be able to pull me out so Ive gotta do it myself... We move the tractor to the other side as an anchor for my winch. I hit the winch, the cable tightens and tightens and tightens and FINALLY I start to move and drag my ass over that thing.
Whew!
After 4 ‘good’ off roading trips with lots of water, rocks, boulders, climbs and mud, where do I get stuck the first time? In a grassy field!

crappy pix but look at the tyre marks on the opposite bank.
 Wa Hoo
-Tim
Chattanooga Tennessee USA
D3 V8HSE7HD
D1 kitted trail truck.
A Hummer is just a Hummer. A Land Rover goes all the way. 

Post #1181814th Aug 2005 2:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nasty,

Any damage (apart from your pride) ?

-s

Post #1183114th Aug 2005 10:08 am
jzk

United States 

Beware going fast through tall grass! I hit a stump once:)
 LR3 HSE
http://www.pbase.com/jzk/lr3 

Post #1184214th Aug 2005 4:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Tim,

I got stuck on a gentle uphill snow covered grassy road side verge yesterday while having a play.

I was with a bunch of Landy owners in Defenders, Rangies and Discos and was the only D3.

I was thinking I'll be smart and take a different line and track through some fresh snow and then as I ran out of forward progress I backed back and hit it again numerous times until I was slipping off into the bushes. I tried all the TR settings and eventually gave up and reversed back out onto the road (after a bit of more slip slidding across the culvert). The All Terrains couldn't even save me on grass/mud.

At no time did I have any wheels in the air but the damn traction control even with the DSC off still prevented me following eveyone else.

I think grass and wet clay are a real problem for the D3 with AT tyres. Both times in these conditions I've been stuck. Maybe it's me as well.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1200915th Aug 2005 3:41 am
BN

England 

Grass, the worst stuff in the world to get a grip on. You can even get stuck on dead level surface with grass underneath, 4x4 or nothing, it is a great leveller of 4x4 skills. Seen a few funny things on grass, such as a couple of guys, parking on a grass slope, get out close the door and the cars slip down the hill sideways.

Oh and as Tim found, you just don't know what his hidden in it, thats why we covered a lot of grass on our fun Sunday last week to see how the guys drove in it. It was only when we got to a gully, they may have realised just how dangerous it is.

Post #1202215th Aug 2005 8:15 am
freeflytim

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

I pushed the door open, got out and shut/pushed the door (air conditioning was on Wink ) and the lower trim snapped off...I later kicked it back into place.

My business partner said he knew of a KIA Sportage that was 'for sale' that might help me next time. Evil or Very Mad

simon wrote:
Nasty,

Any damage (apart from your pride) ?

-s
 Wa Hoo
-Tim
Chattanooga Tennessee USA
D3 V8HSE7HD
D1 kitted trail truck.
A Hummer is just a Hummer. A Land Rover goes all the way. 

Post #1231316th Aug 2005 2:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >