Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

I just got back from an Offroad Wonderland....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
jzk

United States 
I just got back from an Offroad Wonderland....

(On the other site I called it "Disneyland" but I know how you chaps frown on Disneyland. Me too really, as where I went is the real Disneyland.)

I went to the Solihull National Rally in Leadville, Colorado. Prior to that we did a couple of days in Idaho Springs, Colorado, and afterwards, a couple of days in Moab.

The LR3 performed amazingly. The Disco 2 people were really amazed at how well it crawled up things and how well the independant air suspension responded to the terrain.

Colorado was wonderful with endless trails and unlimted views. But Moab is the offroad jewel.

The galleries:

http://www.pbase.com/jzk/colorado_utah_trip_2005

In Moab, it was just me, my seven year old daughter, and my 13 year old nephew, so much of the photography is by them. Had we more time, I could have captured better what the LR3 was up against.

In Idaho Springs we did Lanmartine/Saxon Mountain, Guenella Pass, Georgia Pass, Yankee Hill, and Kingston Peak. In the mornings, my brother joined me in is Range Rover which he had never taken off road before.

In Leadville we did McCallister Gultch, Ptarmington Pass, Lilly Lake, Slide Lake, Wurts Ditch, Mosquito Pass, and Mt Bross.

In Moab we did Klond**e Bluffs, Tower Arch, Gemini Bridges, saw Dead Horse Point, Fins N Things, Lion's Back, and Top of the World.

The Colorado Trails we did were mostly "Moderate" in the Wells book, and we did many "Difficult" Spurs off of them. The Moab Trails were all "Moderate" with the Exception of "Fins N Thins" which is listed as difficult.

The LR3 had absolutely no problem with any of the Moderate trails or the difficult spurs. With the moderate trails, I never had to spot or even get out of the vehicle to pick a line.

Fins N Things required me to pick lines, but we made it through everything. We even attempted some more difficult side climbs. We made one, and couldn't get up another. I was about to give up on another, but one last try a little bit on an angle allowed the LR3 to climb up.

Lion's Back was moderate, but heart pounding. As many have described before, the climb isn't too hard, just that the sides drop off hundreds of feet. Turning around at the top was like a 6 point turn. The off camber parts were really a rush. I haven't been that nervous in quite a while. We did it alone without anyone to follow. I took some pics going down out the front window.
 LR3 HSE
http://www.pbase.com/jzk/lr3 

Post #100435th Aug 2005 6:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

It sounds a little more adventerous than our coming Sunday, but the lads will learn and you never know we could invade the USA for a trip off road big style.

Like the name Soilihull, home of the Land Rover of course.

Fantastic pictures.

Last edited by BN on 5th Aug 2005 6:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #100445th Aug 2005 6:05 pm
nigelpugh

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

JZK,

That looks cool, buts whats wrong with Disneyland, personally I love the US ones having been to them many times, its the crap one we have over here in France that no one likes Wink

Personally the one place I want to drive netx is the Moab and the Lions Back, your photos look cool.

Thanks for sharing.

Nige.
 Nige - 2014 Disco 4 TDV6 HSE Luxury - Scotia Grey  
Post #100455th Aug 2005 6:08 pm
nigelpugh

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

SoilIhull Eh?

Something to do with digging perhaps?

Or poss bowel control issues!!!

Laughing

Nige.
 Nige - 2014 Disco 4 TDV6 HSE Luxury - Scotia Grey  
Post #100465th Aug 2005 6:10 pm
freeflytim

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Re: I just got back from an Offroad Wonderland....

What! Pictures of JZK without mud!! Laughing

Moab=Cool!
 Wa Hoo
-Tim
Chattanooga Tennessee USA
D3 V8HSE7HD
D1 kitted trail truck.
A Hummer is just a Hummer. A Land Rover goes all the way. 

Post #100475th Aug 2005 6:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

nigelpugh wrote:
SoilIhull Eh?

Laughing

Nige.

At Victor Meldrew , sorry, BN's age, bowel control is always an issue Shocked

NOTE TO BN
Bring a spare bag on Sunday Thumbs Up

Cheers,

10forcash

Post #100515th Aug 2005 6:49 pm
BN

England 

10forcash wrote:
nigelpugh wrote:
SoilIhull Eh?

Laughing

Nige.

At Victor Meldrew , sorry, BN's age, bowel control is always an issue Shocked

NOTE TO BN
Bring a spare bag on Sunday Thumbs Up

Cheers,

10forcash

I will, a body bag for you Twisted Evil

Post #100545th Aug 2005 6:56 pm
10forcash

BN,
Nice thought, do you have my size?

Cheers,

10forcash

Post #100835th Aug 2005 7:41 pm
BN

England 

Of course I do

Post #101155th Aug 2005 7:56 pm
Pelyma

England 

They had a great video on LROI of a Chevvie (?) coming down the Lions Back and the brakes failing Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked and they survived!!! Big respect to you for doing it, don't think my sphincter would take it Wink
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #101695th Aug 2005 9:58 pm
10forcash

BN wrote:
I will, a body bag for you Twisted Evil

Mrs. 10 says she'll send a pre - paid postage label with me on Sunday Shocked Shocked
hope it's not too hot or the postie will give her s Censored t

Post #101715th Aug 2005 10:01 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

John,

That lions back looks like pretty scary stuff. I wonder if anyone is game to try it if it's wet. Maybe just the foolish ones.

Nic pics anyway.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #102016th Aug 2005 2:30 am
jzk

United States 

People can do, and have done Lion's back when wet. The first part is a little steep, but nothing that can't be done wet. It isn't that it is all that hard, it is just that a mistake is very costly. Imagine a sidewalk connecting two highrise buildings. You can walk a sidewalk without falling off, right? But can you walk one with a drop of hundreds of feet on each side? I might be crawling in that situation!

Lions back is really just a stunt. It was right there, so I thought I would give it a try.

The real fun is the other trails like Fins N Things, top of the world and about 50 that I haven't even done yet!
 LR3 HSE

Post #102026th Aug 2005 2:40 am
BN

England 

jzk wrote:
People can do, and have done Lion's back when wet. The first part is a little steep, but nothing that can't be done wet. It isn't that it is all that hard, it is just that a mistake is very costly. Imagine a sidewalk connecting two highrise buildings. You can walk a sidewalk without falling off, right? But can you walk one with a drop of hundreds of feet on each side? I might be crawling in that situation!

Lions back is really just a stunt. It was right there, so I thought I would give it a try.

The real fun is the other trails like Fins N Things, top of the world and about 50 that I haven't even done yet!

Somwwhere on the net I have seen a video with a Chevvy falling off, but cannot locate it now, dodgy.

Post #102066th Aug 2005 7:46 am
jzk

United States 

I have seen it and have a copy of it. Also, some toyota fell off and landed in a tree. It was there for a while.

This guy's site has a link to the video:

http://www.viladiu.com/moab.html
 LR3 HSE

Post #102426th Aug 2005 2:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >