Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Do I need the Plastic Spare Wheel cover?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Tonga57

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Do I need the Plastic Spare Wheel cover?

I'm in the process of replacing the spare wheel stolen from my MY16 (adblue). I have a replacement wheel (thanks LT) and protector (thanks RLD) and now have a couple of questions and hoping you can help:
1. Which winch do I need? There seem to be several different types on ebay, but I'm not sure of the correct type. The existing (broken) one on my car has a loop/hole rather than a nut inside the boot. Could anyone point me to a link showing the correct part?
2. Do I need to replace the plastic cover? These seem to be very expensive and not sure if it serves any purpose beyond cosmetic? Will the winch be effected without it?
Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Post #18646814th Oct 2017 1:27 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

the later winch was the loop one but nut type is easier to make a mod to so you can lower the wheel without emptying the boot IMHO.

as for the plastic cover ... I've considered getting one (probably not LR though if I can find something cheap to do the job) so that when wheel is lowered to the floor it should be easier to drag out from under the car.

Post #18646904th Oct 2017 1:45 pm
al cope

England 

you do need it as your spare is shiny face down, so without it you are going to make a right mess of the wheel face when dragging it out. I think the center tube for the winch is also part of the plastic cover.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #18646994th Oct 2017 2:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It is that that holds the wheel up Whistle
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #18647024th Oct 2017 2:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tonga57

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

So does that mean that the plastic cover and winch are a single part or 2 seperate parts? Forgive my ignorance but I have never got the chance to look at how this all hangs together before it was stolen Evil or Very Mad

Post #18647074th Oct 2017 2:40 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Two separate items. The end of the cable fits into the plastic cover. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #18647114th Oct 2017 3:07 pm
al cope

England 

yes, the winch is bolted to the car, and then hooks into the the wheel carrier tube/fitting, which on the MY16 car is also part of the plastic cover.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #18647124th Oct 2017 3:08 pm
Hardware

spitting hell !!!

quick look at eBay and it's £90 for the winch and £204 for the plastic cover !!! how can that be right ?

Post #18647134th Oct 2017 3:14 pm
Hardware

Ray ... i'm guessing your protector for the later cars doesn't actually rely on the plastic cover ?

and as for cheaper ones on the bay ... the first one I found looks incredibly like someone broke through it to nick the wheel. wonder if it's the owner selling or the Censored that took the wheel? someone posted a while back he'd seen a pile of the covers at the side of a road somewhere.

Post #18647154th Oct 2017 3:20 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

the Ad blue one needs this to hold the wheel up
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #18647174th Oct 2017 3:31 pm
al cope

England 

One of the guys on here had his hacked through, but had a protector so didnt get the wheel, so buy a damaged one (as long as its not too damaged). Nobody is going to see it underneath.

This one would do - £45 quid

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DISCO...SwFBRZbKbA

Put the cut out bit furtest away from the rear - job done.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #18647624th Oct 2017 5:45 pm
Washwipe

England 

I’d hazard a guess but I’d say the eBay one above, that someone has tried to get the spare off then found a protector the other side, the cut out on the ebay one looks the same as this attempted theft.

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic152791.html?

Post #18648014th Oct 2017 6:49 pm
Tonga57

Many thanks for all the replies. All very clear what I need now. Slight dilemma on buying a damaged cover as it has almost certainly been damaged during a theft or attempted theft (might even be mine, who knows) but at a fraction of the cost of a new one is very hard to turn down.
It never ceases to amaze me how helpful people are on this site, so thanks again.

Post #18648164th Oct 2017 7:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >