Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Should I Trade In My D3 for a D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
fishinmad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Should I Trade In My D3 for a D4

In Spain we can buy a brand new D4 ‘S’ auto in white for Euro 39,000 (£32,000 for those of you that still have a real currency).

As I am not worried about the gizmo's, leather etc so the S model it would do me fine.

I love my 55 plate D3 auto and am not worried about fuel economy (I buy mine in Gibraltar where it's only £1 a litre), a new plate or looks but at that price it the D4 is 7 years newer and it a lot of car for relatively little money.

While a great price, before I make my mind up to buy I would like to ask people on here have owned both a D3 and a D4, are there any real advantages to the D4 or should I just keep my present D3. i.e. are the more reliable than the D3, I have had some large bills on my D3 and just had the timing belts done (on age)?

Also is the D4 as good/better off road? From what I have seen the D4 has the appearance of being is less rugged than a D3 on the underside and I hit a lot of rocks on my fishing trips over here.

Post #99404425th Oct 2012 1:28 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Ive had a D3 TDV6 an MY10 D4 TDV6 and now got a MY12 D4 SDV6

the D4 is a much better car.

it has more power, the 8speed box makes is quicker and smoother than the 6 speed 3.0TDV6 - it is much better as a tow car, and thats saying something as the D3 is fantastic.

its also better on fuel economy, but, its more blingy and styling is softer. the interior i think is more FFRR style and so not as easy to clean as there is more stiching on the trim.

as for offroad, ive only used the D4 once and it seemed just as good as the D3 (difficult to tell exactly as D4 was on road tyres)- some of the electronic gizmos tweaks in theory should make it better.

the big downside of the D4 is the front bumper is too rounded so you cant put your cup of tea on the bumper and there is too much silver bling in the cabin so the sun reflects in my face off the EPB switch !!! plus I hate the colour coded wheel arches but couldnt be bothered to change them.

my advice would be however, dont change the D3 for a D4 just for the hell of it !!! - even a 6 year old D3, in my opinion, is still a £30k-£40k car in modern money Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #99405625th Oct 2012 2:04 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

As Dunc said Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #99407125th Oct 2012 2:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

I'm lucky enough to have both and I echo what Dunc and Russell have said. I have however, extensively off roaded a D4 before getting the D3 for this purpose. The D4 is AMAZING off road and the gearbox is brilliant and it is an even more comfortable interior but at the expense of a little bit of the "utilitarian" feel of the D3. Less cubby holes for stuff, less grab handles etc. But if that is of little consequence to you then I think it's a pretty easy choice. I love them both and despite some mockey, the FL2 is brilliant too! Laughing
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #99411525th Oct 2012 4:05 pm
fishinmad

Is the D4 more reliable than the D3?

I think read a lot of the protection steel plates on the underside have been removed on the D4 (to save weight I guess) is that correct?

In the Spanish base model I am looking at they still have the ‘old’ type black wheel arches which I much prefer they are also much more practical for Spain (I don’t think there is a car within 50 miles of me that isn’t scuffed on all 4 corners so colour coded one wouldn't look nice for long! Even my neighbour who has a Lamborghini Diablo scratched his within the first month!).

Here is a link to it:

http://www.landrover.com/es/es/lr/finance/offers/discovery-4/

Like steveraspberry I also have a FL2 which I think is a great vehicle and sadly I am more confident in taking this over to Morocco than my D3

Post #99412025th Oct 2012 4:23 pm
DiscoDunc

the underside of my D4 seems to have more protection than my D3

as for reliability i would say they are the same. I found the D3 very reliable and so was the MY10 and the MY12.

the problems i had with the D3 were as a result of continuous offroading and items i would expect to wear out sooner.

remember also that if you take the car offroad, you need to adopt the Arduos Service Schedule - not the standard road service shedule.

had the My10 for two years (only covered 30k miles) with no problems and have had the My12 for 4 months with no problems
 Duncan
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD

Post #99413225th Oct 2012 4:39 pm
GlosBoy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I had D3 SE now have D4 XS

D3 was manual D4 is auto. This is SWMBO car. I have driven auto's for 12 years for my car

To be honest I preferred the manual D3 but then I am purely in the minority, I liked the D3 practical feel and the dash. I'm a Luddite I guess

I used to make every excuse to take the D3 out. Now rarely take the D4 out.

Our D4 is tdv6. I think gearbox is rubbish compared to my own 8 speed Audi Smile

Plus our D3 gave an average 28 with 31 on a run. The D4 averages 24 and on a run have given 26

Just one version .Smile
 D4 HSE - Aintree Green
D4 Orkney my13 - gone
Stornaway D4. Gone, Didn't like it at all
D3 silver manual. Loved my first LR

Post #99429925th Oct 2012 9:52 pm
DiscoDunc

yes, you are a ludite Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
 Duncan
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD

Post #99431325th Oct 2012 10:21 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I've had a D3 HSE and now D4 LE. Although I love the sweet D4 3.0 engine there's a few things I miss from the D3 like:

Better designed cubby holes and more of them.
Seats felt more comfortable on long journeys.
Cup holders were in a more convenient place.
Terrain controls were in a more convenient place.
I could control the radio without turning off the NAV display.
Somewhere to hang your car keys!
black bumpers and wheels arches felt more resistant to marks.
You could buy it with black carpets irrespective of seat colour.

I suppose I do like the clock on the D4, and the LED rear lights, but if I'm honest... it's all about that lovely 3.0 SDV6 engine... which is why I haven't thought of going back.
Thumbs Up

Last edited by crews control on 25th Oct 2012 10:56 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #99432425th Oct 2012 10:54 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have my original 7 1/2 year old D3, owned from new. I went to by a D4 to replace her and decided that the £40K cost of change was not worth it so put it in my pension.

My D3 does everything the D4 can do. Maybe the engine and gearbox aren't as good and the interior's not as plush, but is the difference really worth £40K? Sorry, but i don't think so. Just think how much you will lose in depreciation and any finance you have.

No, my old bus is brilliant. I look after her well and she looks after us. I think I'll wait until the D5 arrives.

Post #99433925th Oct 2012 11:17 pm
DiscoDunc

you miserable old git Laughing
 Duncan
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD

Post #99434325th Oct 2012 11:19 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

True, but I'm £40k + tax relief better off and don't feel I'm missing anything. Laughing

Post #99436226th Oct 2012 1:18 am
fishinmad

Thanks everyone for your replies, the only reason I am even considering changing is because of the current low price in Spain.

I am going to test Drive the D4 tomorrow, but it will take a lot to persuade me to change I love the utilitarian and rugged good looks and feel of the D3, if I had wanted ‘luxury’ and ‘colour I would have bought a RRS or FFRR instead of the D3.

Like moo above I felt the same about my BMW 5 series, I went to trade it in had the test drive was about to hand over the check in an thought, hold on why I doing this when the new car felt no different to my old car which had 110k miles on the clock and had not had single thing go wrong with it since new, so what was I gaining other than the new reg plate and making BMW £25,000 better off, so I kept with the existing car and sadly put the money in my pension (must be an age thing). The car now has 240k miles on and is still going strong (if only LR were that reliable!).

The other thing I like about the D3 it just sort of ‘fits in’ any of the shooting/fishing events I go too, be it with my local syndicate or expensive corporate day, where as I am not sure I would feel like that D4.

Post #99440526th Oct 2012 9:16 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Moo wrote:
True, but I'm £40k + tax relief better off and don't feel I'm missing anything. Laughing

Are you 40K better off......................... you have put it in your pension Whistle

D3 is a great car, MY10 D4 is a better car, MY12 D4 with rotary gearbox is an even better car, I was lucky and managed to change with very little cost to me so went for it. However if it was going to cost me lots I might not have changed to the MY12.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #99470826th Oct 2012 9:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Moo
D3 Decade 

[quote="Russell"]
Moo wrote:

Are you 40K better off......................... you have put it in your pension Whistle

I have a SIPP that has performed very well. I've just turned 46 and can retire before I'm 50 should i choose and live a very good life. Thumbs Up

On that basis, yes i am. Very Happy

Post #99476026th Oct 2012 11:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >