Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

ID required for council tips
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

This isn't actually a bad Idea..

I watched a program last year, a lot of migrant workers use tips.

Apparently, to gain a UK National Insurance Number, you have to do one day of paid work..

The people bringing the migrants into the country have a process whereas the newbies in the country go and collect Scrap for a day, take it too the tip.. and Bingo.. they now have an NI Number and are able to claim from the benefit system..

So maybe it's something to do with combatting that?
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #20908249th Oct 2019 8:35 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I got asked at weekend if I was 'trade' as I had a boot full of carpet in the back of my RRS. Asked him why he assumed that and he said "you have a lot of carpet" (two bedrooms worth). Pointed out a 69 plate RRS isn't your usual traders vehicle of choice.......

They have challenged me previously trying to claim that an RRS is a 'van' as in a commercial vehicle as in "please sign here and give us some money for a licence" Rolling Eyes

I also had a few bits and bobs I was getting rid of with the carpet including two, good condition, bed-side lamps that I thought could be up-cycled/charity shopped (that part of the facility was closed on entering). Asked the woman sat eating her lunch (in a tip work area, yuk!) where I could leave them and she paused, took one off me, perused it for a few seconds before dismissing it with a "nah, no good to me, chuck them in the small electrical's skip" before returning to her lunch......

The staff there are keen to get off their Censored if they see anything they think they, personally, can salvage and often shout "oi, wrong skip" from 50 yards without going over to discuss/help and I also ended up helping a woman with some garden waste as a worker stood and watched her just 'advising' her "yes, love, that skip".

I know it's not their job to 'do everything' but they generally just seem an obstructive bunch of unhelpful people really......

And as to opening times - 10.00am to 3.00pm, while everyone is at work Rolling Eyes

Post #20908279th Oct 2019 8:44 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

The Highland Council one is use is 10am - 5pm with half an hour for lunch. It’s a one man thing.

The Inverness one is 9.30am - 8pm, no lunch break, but it’s further away and normally very busy.

Strange how opening hours are so different around the country.

Post #20908309th Oct 2019 8:50 am
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Most Herefordshire tips open 0800 to 1800 hrs 7 days a week except Bank holidays. "If you wish to use a commercial type vehicle or a trailer larger than 1.3m in length to deposit your household waste, you will need a permit to use the household recycling centre, please use the link in the list below". That said only single axle trailers and the permit valid for 12 visits per annum. I gather in Worcestershire next to the West Midlands ( Birmingham) border. proof of address required. I have never had a problem with my D3 or my Series One LR Station Wagon.

Post #20908359th Oct 2019 9:10 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Browny90 wrote:
This isn't actually a bad Idea..

I watched a program last year, a lot of migrant workers use tips.

Apparently, to gain a UK National Insurance Number, you have to do one day of paid work..

The people bringing the migrants into the country have a process whereas the newbies in the country go and collect Scrap for a day, take it too the tip.. and Bingo.. they now have an NI Number and are able to claim from the benefit system..

So maybe it's something to do with combatting that?

You can't get an NI number without an DWP interview:

Quote:
The interviewer will ask you questions about your background and circumstances and ask to see all your official documents, including your passport and any other proof of identity documents, such as national identity card, residence permit, birth certificate, driving licence, marriage or civil partnership certificate. You should take the original documents with you to the interview.

The right to work has to be confirmed by the employer.

Not sure what this had to do with tips specifically though Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #20908389th Oct 2019 9:16 am
CongoBoy

Zimbabwe 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

This is correct.
My son recently turned sixteen and, even though he has a British passport, he wasn't on the system and wasn't given an NI number.
Apparently because we do not claim any child benefits.
Anyways, to get his NI number, to do part-time work, he was called for an interview and had to bring his British passport, etc along with him.
 2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey (UK)
2008 D3 HSE Izmir Blue- South African Spec. (Zimbabwe)
2005 FFRR SC V8- Java Black
1995 D1 300 Tdi Blue - (Sourced from the UK, shipped to Namibia, driven by me to RD Congo, then Zambia, now retired in Zimbabwe) 

Post #20908409th Oct 2019 9:24 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

L319 wrote:
"If you wish to use a commercial type vehicle or a trailer larger than 1.3m in length to deposit your household waste, you will need a permit to use the household recycling centre, please use the link in the list below". That said only single axle trailers and the permit valid for 12 visits per annum.

Here in Norfolk, they charge by the number of axles on a trailer! If you went in with a 10' x 8' single axle trailer loaded with rubbish, it would be cheaper than a 6' x 3' twin axle trailer, with a toilet seat in it!

When I did our bathroom a couple of years ago, I had to take the bath, toilet, basin and cistern to 3 different recycling centres in sequence!
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #20908449th Oct 2019 9:35 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ref commercial vehicles I also kept getting that when they said my D3 was one and needed to pay

I simply said it has windows, isn’t a pick up, has seats in the back, , under 2m high , so where do u get the commercial bit from, after a few times they gave up

Here’s some of our local rules as a comparison

https://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_...licies.pdf

Vehicles allowed without needing vouchers

To gain access without vouchers the below vehicles must be less than 2 metres in height (including any fixtures e.g. roof boxes, lights or roof bars), with a maximum gross vehicle weight (GVW) of less than 3.5 tonnes.

Cars and estate cars with windows all the way round and seats throughout
People carriers, 4x4s and minibuses (excluding open backed vehicles) with windows all the way round and seats throughout (maximum 9 seats)
Taxis and sign-written cars with windows all the way round and seats throughout.

Soil, Rubble and Hardcore
From 3 June 2019 charges apply for the disposal of soil, rubble and hardcore:
• £4 per bag/item
• Limit of 5 bags/items per day
• Any bag up to the size of a standard black sack may be used
• Part bags will be charged as per whole
• Payment by card only. Receipts are available

Plasterboard
From 3 June 2019 charges apply for the disposal of plasterboard:
• £6 per bag/sheet
• Any bag up to the size of a standard black sack may be used
• Part bags/sheets will be charged as per whole

Tyres
Tyres are charged at £2.50 per tyre and limited to 5 per visit; car and motorbike tyres only. Tyres are accepted at all Kent Household Waste Recycling Centres.
Household Waste Recycling Centres accept card payments only. Please request a receipt.

Post #20908569th Oct 2019 10:03 am
gstuart

rrhool wrote:
L319 wrote:
"If you wish to use a commercial type vehicle or a trailer larger than 1.3m in length to deposit your household waste, you will need a permit to use the household recycling centre, please use the link in the list below". That said only single axle trailers and the permit valid for 12 visits per annum.

Here in Norfolk, they charge by the number of axles on a trailer! If you went in with a 10' x 8' single axle trailer loaded with rubbish, it would be cheaper than a 6' x 3' twin axle trailer, with a toilet seat in it!

When I did our bathroom a couple of years ago, I had to take the bath, toilet, basin and cistern to 3 different recycling centres in sequence!

rules here in Kent

Trailer size
You can bring trailers as well as a car as long as you're not bringing more than 5 bags/items of soil and rubble or exceeding the limit on tyres and asbestos.
Trailer bodies must comply with the following:
• Not more than 2.05m in length
• Sides of trailers must not be built up to allow for more capacity; as this is unsafe, access will not be granted to site.
• Trailers must not be overloaded and must be within the vehicles towing capacity.
• No agricultural trailers or horse boxes are permitted.
• Trailers cannot be used with restricted vehicles as outlined in the ‘vehicle
restrictions’ section of the operating policies.
• Conformance with all other HWRC policies.

Post #20908579th Oct 2019 10:05 am
Rmacaul

Scotland 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Angus council; you need a permit to take your trailer in, only 12 times a year, You apply for your car.
I get challenged all the time about the D2 being commercial......

Post #20909299th Oct 2019 1:51 pm
gstuart

Got another reply from the council , well chuffed that they’ve listened

Gives me faith in human society again Thumbs Up

The management of commercial services who run the Swanley facility on behalf of the Authority will take all steps to assist any customer disabled or otherwise who have difficulty in disposing of their waste due to the steps at the site - t here is no payment required for this service.

It is a serious concern that a payment has been requested and this behaviour will not be tolerated by either Commercial Services or the Authority. Three members of staff have recently left commercial services in conjunction with the recent change of management to improve the service received by our customers.

If you ever experience this behaviour again, please contact us immediately with a description of the staff member and we will investigate thoroughly.

Yours sincerely

Waste Management

Post #209249515th Oct 2019 1:44 pm
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Our local tip has all been redeveloped so you now drive up a ramp to the bin height and throw it over a 3ft wall Thumbs Up

Need a permit for any trailer bigger than a lunch box Thumbs Up
 MY2023 Discovery 5 R-Dynamic 3.0
MY2020 Discovery 5 Landmark 3.0 - SOLD
MY2005 Discovery 3 V8 4.4 HSE - SOLD
MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - LR Replaced !
MY2005 Discovery 3 S 2.7 - SOLD
MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD
MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD 

Post #209251015th Oct 2019 2:49 pm
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up nice reply from Commerical Services, sometimes it does pay to complain Thumbs Up
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #209251115th Oct 2019 2:51 pm
Rnclayton

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Moved into the Bath and NE Somerset council area 15 yrs ago.

Got challenged the first couple of times, as 'they didn't recognise me'.....

They then set up a system where we had to apply to use the facilities. you registered your details and car reg no.

They then put an ANPR system at every site. Any car not recognised was stopped and turned away.

That went on for a couple of years. They then stopped that.

They are back to 'recognising' people, and speaking to any new faces. The kit is still in situ, but obviously not used any more, as I haven't registered the D4.

They are very hot on vans and trailers.

They have spoken to me a couple of times with the D4, but not due to the size of the vehicle. Mainly for the contents. They didn't like me taking off cuts of 'new' timber in there. It implied I was a builder. Also, not too much old plasterboard, for the same reason.

It seems to be the younger/newer staff. Obviously had the rules drilled into them by the management. The old hands just let them get on with it.

If I've ever taken some old copper down, I've always asked where the bin is. They now say, 'cant do that anymore'. Not trying to get them caught out or anything.

I therefore say 'I'll put this down here then, because I'm not sure which skip it goes into....' Smile
 MY07 Freelander2 SE Santorini Black - Gone
MY10 D4 XS Buckingham Blue
MY06 D3 HSE 

Post #209251615th Oct 2019 3:22 pm
Grianaig

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Haven’t used local Durham one for some time but used to be you pulled up at any skip, opened the Disco hatch and blokes would empty it.
 2014 MY Discovery XS Indus Silver. Sadly gone. Second last LR of forty eight years continuous ownership.  
Post #209252915th Oct 2019 4:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >