DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Idiot's guide to connecting to FBH
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bracechenko

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Idiot's guide to connecting to FBH

Hi guys,

I thought I'd write up this short guide to help others who may want to connect to their FBH using Webasto diagnostics but are put off from the seemingly confusing wiring and connectors needed to hook this up. Any wiring immediately puts me off, I'm sure it's simple for many but I also suspect there's a few like me who just want to plug something in and connect. I've managed to connect to my FBH using Webasto's software and also now have a fully working FBH as a result and my route to this was relatively simple so if that interests you then read on....

I bought my Disco 3 TDV6 back in June 2021 and ever since owning it the FBH hasn't worked. Someone once confirmed that it had a glow plug fault and suggested I just change the whole FBH, another garage plugged it in and told me they got it working (charged me £60) but then when it was next cold enough it didn't work. All very annoying but never enough to take more time out of my life for further spending/fixing. Whilst I am relatively mechanically minded (strip down motorbikes etc), I just don't have the time, space or inclination to do a huge amount of DIY on the car. As this wasn't a terminal issue, it was low down on the priority to get sorted.

Anyway, here's what I did, hope it helps and thank you to all of the content creators for the various links that I'm sharing as they have done the hard work Bow down

Worth mentioning that these instructions are for a Disco 3 TDV6 that doesn't already have the red WBUS wire in pin 2 (most don't)...

1. You'll need to buy a connecting wire that goes into pin 2 on the Webasto FBH loom. This can be sourced from here - https://fnltd.co.uk/shop/fbh-connector-pin...o-p41.html

2. Once sourced, you'll need to fit the wire into the loom and a great video to help with this is here - &list=PLjVfs9bEb-BYIrnhD8gvxXF97EwiU_yIF&index=1

3. Now you'll need an interface to connect the FBH to your laptop (which will run the webasto diagnostic software). This is the bit that seemed messy and off-putting to me but I found someone who supplied a plug and play bit of kit. You just connect the yellow croc clip to the newly installed WBUS wire and then red and black to the battery terminals. You can find it here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224716522951

EDIT : I paid £30 when I bought mine but at the time of writing it's now £72! There are other's on ebay sourcing similar products such as https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402000354925?gc...jAQAvD_BwE but I can only vouch for the one that I bought.

4. Install the Webasto software on your laptop. You can find files here - https://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/Fuel_Burning...t_Software

5. Once you've installed the software, you'll need to ensure that the various Serial COM settings are within range for the software and are set to the right port. A very helpful video explaining all of this is here - &list=PLjVfs9bEb-BYIrnhD8gvxXF97EwiU_yIF&index=2

There you go, if all goes well you should be in business. For what it's worth, my experience was that I used this method to successfully connect and communicate with my FBH. I ran the 'Auxillary Heater' control programme and I did start to see a little bit of smoke from the FBH but initially it failed to start and I kept getting fault codes telling me what I already knew (no start). However, I tried this a few times, cleared the faults between each time and noticed that the smoke was getting thicker and the cycle was running for longer with each attempt.

My thinking was that it was 'trying' to start and getting better with each attempt. It hadn't run for years so was probably a bit coked up and maybe fuel lines weren't primed properly. I ended up repeating this process about 4 times and then it eventually fired up properly. You could hear the flame ignite in full force and the amount of smoke bellowing out from the car was alarming to neighbours who thought I was on fire! Whistle

Eventually the smoke cleared and the FBH was running as it should. I shut it down, stopped the diagnostics and then left the car overnight for everything to cool. The next day, I hooked it all back up and fired it up 1st time without any issue. The smoke was far less as clearly it was initially having to burn off whatever crap was laid dormant for years. I've since checked it a couple more times and it fires each time....wish I'd have done this before winter but at least I'm prepared for our next one.

I hope this helps someone at least - I'm glad that I might finally have a car which warms up as the temp gets low...kind of useful to have heaters when there's young kids in the back and it's -7 outside! Big Cry

Last edited by Bracechenko on 20th Feb 2023 2:46 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #232733820th Feb 2023 11:36 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks. I'll have a go at this. I bought the wires and the plugs a while ago, but never tried to install the kit!
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #232734720th Feb 2023 12:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >