Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Impending puppy - latest thoughts on dog transport...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
wizbongre

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Impending puppy - latest thoughts on dog transport...

On Saturday we will be picking up a very young Labrador puppy, soon to be know as Obi, to extend our family of 2 adults and 2 kids.

We already have a full height dog guard for the back of our D4, however I'm keen to understand what the latest options are for something that offers enough space for a full grown lab, whilst retaining the maximum storage space. We don't need access to the 3rd seats but do go camping/glamping regularly and hence need to cram a lot of stuff in. I'm already using a roofbox prior to the dog and would prefer not to have to upgrade to a trailer!

Recognising TransK9 are often recommended but the prices are eye-watering (£85 for a 12v fan?! Shocked ) I'm looking for other options.

Ideally I'd just go for the LR vertical cargo divider and dog gate, however this removes 50% of the boot space.

What are the other options we should be looking at?
 Cheers,

Gareth

'57 D3 2.7 TDV6 HSE gone and soon to be forgotten!
‘15 D4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Luxury
'64 Audi A6 3.0BiTDi Quattro S-Line Black Edition with lots of toys 

Post #218781818th Nov 2020 12:57 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

I have the travall half height dog guard and divider.

the divider comes with 2 different foot options, one that slots into the gap between seats 6 & 7 when they are collapsed and one that sits onto a flat surface.

this means you can have the boot as 50/50 or with the other foot have it at any size you want.

I have a Springer Spaniel, but regularly carry my sons adult Labrador and my Springer in the half compartment, and ive even had them and an adult Collie all on one side. There is a pic in my gallery of the boot with dogs, although they decided they wanted a side each on this occasion Laughing

I think the Travall divider will fit to an original LR dog guard but ive no way of checking.
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #218782118th Nov 2020 1:05 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I have had the same Trans-K9 for more than 10 years a great product - my Flatcoats have been happy & very safe in it.

From time to time I have used a fabric cage in lieu of the Trans-K9, when for instance my dog is going to sleep indoors at my destination & the proprietors or hosts would prefer him to be in a cage at night.

I normally have the cargo barrier in place so that things can be stacked high in the space alongside the cage.

Good luck & enjoy your puppy.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #218782218th Nov 2020 1:08 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

How big is your lab likely to be ? You may well find, if it's going to be big, that when fully grown there is not a lot of room in the boot for much else, if you want the dog to be comfortable on a long journey.

Whilst it's a pup some sort of cage will probably be necessary. Also beware that many pups get car sick - something they almost always grow out of but could limit you for the first few months - maybe best at that stage to just put it on your kids knees in the back if it has a tendancy to get sick (much less likely to happen that way).

As the dog gets older you'll have to decide whether to spend money on a travel cage or not. You'll find if you trawl through posts here on the subject that there's a sharp split between those who insist on one and those - like me - who think that they are a waste of money if you have a properly trained dog.

Post #218782618th Nov 2020 1:37 pm
Duc750

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

added benefit in the last post that you can use your off spring to protect the car upholstery

Downside is that a puppy flying around in an accident is spectacularly bad news so would still need some sort of restraint.

I don't think I've met a lab yet that wouldn't be perfectly happy with 50% of a d3/4 boot.

Multiple dogs also "pack up" into the same space as one dog quite happily provided they get on with each other. The steam produced when wet appears to be disproportionate when wet to the amount of dog in the space
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #218783818th Nov 2020 2:21 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
Downside is that a puppy flying around in an accident is spectacularly bad news

"Rule 57 of The Highway Code states: “When in a vehicle, make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.”

You won’t get penalised for disobeying the Highway Code. But you will get penalised for driving without proper control of your vehicle.

If police catch you driving with an unrestrained dog in the car, they’ll most likely claim that you’re driving without due care and attention. The fines for this offence are severe. You could face a fine of up to £5,000. And if your case goes to court, you could get up to nine points on your licence.

What’s more, if you’re involved in an accident caused by an unrestrained dog in the car, your car insurance provider is very unlikely to pay out. So on top of the hefty fine, you might also have to think about a huge repair bill. "

NJSS

There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #218784218th Nov 2020 2:35 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

based on what the OP has said above and on another post in the overall general thread, I would say the Travall half height guard with divider are his best, cost effective option.

I know some reckon a cage is best but really only in the case of worst case scenario of a major accident resulting in the dog(s) escaping onto the highway. For the 99.9% of all other times guard + divider do the job more than adequately IMO
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #218784518th Nov 2020 2:47 pm
Duc750

NJSS wrote:
Quote:
Downside is that a puppy flying around in an accident is spectacularly bad news

"Rule 57 of The Highway Code states: “When in a vehicle, make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.”

You won’t get penalised for disobeying the Highway Code. But you will get penalised for driving without proper control of your vehicle.

If police catch you driving with an unrestrained dog in the car, they’ll most likely claim that you’re driving without due care and attention. The fines for this offence are severe. You could face a fine of up to £5,000. And if your case goes to court, you could get up to nine points on your licence.

What’s more, if you’re involved in an accident caused by an unrestrained dog in the car, your car insurance provider is very unlikely to pay out. So on top of the hefty fine, you might also have to think about a huge repair bill. "

NJSS

forget all of that being hit in the back of your head by your 10-15kg beloved pup is not going to be a fun experience.
Restraining dogs in cars is one of those laws that is there for a bloody good reason but sensible people should have it sorted anyway
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #218784818th Nov 2020 3:01 pm
NJSS

Quote:
Restraining dogs in cars is one of those laws that is there for a bloody good reason but sensible people should have it sorted anyway
Thumbs Up

Sadly every day I see people loading or unloading dogs from cars in which they are not restrained.

Many years ago someone local to me was killed by being hit on the back of the head by a small dog travelling at speed from the rear window shelf where it travelled.

Happily all the people I shoot with know how important it is to restrain dogs, and luggage.

NJSS

Post #218784918th Nov 2020 3:15 pm
Duc750

on a related note.

The biggest flaw I can see in the full height cargo barriers that LR make is escape from the boot after an accident.
The one in our sport has a drop hatch that would make a sausage dog think twice.
The one in the D3 has nothing - I've seen a few modified dividers with the wire removed from the lower section which seems sensible but i think if i was buying again I'd buy a Travall but ultimately the best answer is a transk9 crate and a draw system underneath so everything is nicely "in a box" so to speak and the best use of the massive amount of space in the boot is used
It depends how much of an excuse for spending on the car you can turn the little slipper muncher into.
Having turned up at an accident last year where a D5 was causally lying on its side. whilst the occupants where able to scramble out of broken shattered windows it left the dog in the boot. we did manage to get the tail gate open luckily but I was left thinking what I'd need to break to get him out
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #218785518th Nov 2020 3:31 pm
wizbongre

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks for all the options so far.

For the short term, whilst he's still a smallish puppy, we've got a soft/collapsible travel crate which we'll use from the moment we bring him home. We'll have a 2 hour journey back and hence don't want to start off dog life with him bouncing around on someone's lap. SWMBO will sit in the back alongside him, with the travel crate restrained on the back seat.

This will likely be migrated to the boot for a while to get him used to car travel.

Longer term, something like the Travall gear looks like an option. 40-50% of the boot for him and 50-60% for luggage will have to be the sensible compromise - I may need a bigger roofbox then. Actually, this could help justify that Prospeed roofrack I've fancied for a few years... 8) (For the luggage, not the dog.)

I'm assuming an animal constrained to the boot (whether half or all of it) behind either a full or half-height dog guard is classed as restrained? I'd prefer not to go down the route of having him on a seat with one of those seatbelt clips for his collar.

And as for egress following an accident of some sorts - I already find the full height LR dog-guard awkward as it doesn't allow any through-boot access from the cabin, so think Duc750's point is a very pertinent one.

Guess what? Just whilst typing this I'm coming back round to the idea of a TransK9 cage!!
 Cheers,

Gareth

'57 D3 2.7 TDV6 HSE gone and soon to be forgotten!
‘15 D4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Luxury
'64 Audi A6 3.0BiTDi Quattro S-Line Black Edition with lots of toys 

Post #218785618th Nov 2020 3:43 pm
Duc750

so having had the electric tailgate fail on our sport in 40 degree heat and knowing the slightly moody history of D3/4 tailgates I can attest to the fact that you can, with some degree of sweat and a few choice words remove a full height cargo divider very quickly when your pooch is rather on the panting side in a hot car boot.
I would rather not do it again though hence why I would go trans k9 or travall next I would want the drasw as well though as otherwise you do lose a ton of space in the boot
Actually having had a draw system in my d2 its very much on my list in the D3 - much more use than an overhead shelf

{ I guess I should add that the boot was at about 19 degrees when we turned the car off but its amazing how quick the temperature climbs in a car boot with no aircon running}
Metalian Camper trailer 

Last edited by Duc750 on 18th Nov 2020 7:00 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #218786218th Nov 2020 4:11 pm
LaserTam

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I have the Trans k9 crate and yes new they are expensive and I too briefly looked at the fan (crazy price), a crate suits me and my bearded collie. I'm an angler and take way too much gear, so the 2nd row of seats are down regularly, which rules out a fixed barrier and I just load some gear inside the crate.

I does take up half the boot space though but you can load things on top of the crate and there are some slots to attach some straps if needed.

I picked up my crate 2nd hand, they do come up on here from time to time.
 MY2012 D4 HSE Nara Bronze with some extra stuff  
Post #218786318th Nov 2020 4:16 pm
Duc750

transk9 actually promote some second-hand ones on their site
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #218786618th Nov 2020 4:26 pm
NJSS

Also:-

https://www.gumtree.com/

& eBay

NJSS

Post #218787218th Nov 2020 5:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >