DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 4

Importing a car from Switzerland to EU - short guide
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
TomekW

Poland 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Importing a car from Switzerland to EU - short guide

Hi Folks,

I have received a few requests on PM to explain how I imported the car to EU from Switzerland.
Maybe this will be of help for others.
The story is as follows:

1. I found my dream car on www.autolina.ch
2. I called the seller (it was company in my case) explaining that I am interested and asked to send me the car VIN and copy of the service book; I got them in few hours.
3. having VIN I checked the car configuration; here: https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/v...s7gblr2010
you need to register; it is free of charge
4. from the service book I found the dealer which serviced the car; in Switzerland typically it is Emil Frey; I called the dealer explaining that I want to buy a car serviced by them and I need the service history records to check major repairs and so on; I got it as well Smile repair history was clean so I decided to go further and paid the deposit
5. I called LR Switzerland, homologation department, asking for Certificate of Origin and Certificate of Conformity; they checked VIN, confirmed that the car is "Swiss" car so they can issue the documents I need; in few days I got a letter with the docs Thumbs Up you need them to import the car to EU
6. I wanted to drive the car from Switzerland back home; so I asked the seller to help me with the registration of the car on my name; I had to send my passport and driving license to him; and this was the trickiest part of the story... alternatively you can go to the office in Switzerland and register the car by yourself; it takes 20 min; together with registration you need to buy the insurance; in my case it was paid by the seller
7. once the car was registered I took the plane to Zurich to pick-up it
8. everything was OK so I took car keys and start driving towards Germany via Thayngen/Singen border
9. I wanted to make customs clearance in Germany and pay German VAT, which is lower than Polish (19% vs 23%); at the border I parked before the border control, at the petrol station and I walk to customs agency Cortesi Zollservice, which is on the German side Very Happy
10 . Cortesi knows well what you need; It took me 5 min there but I called them few days in advance and emailed them the necessary documents (car registration, invoice); they will ask you to get the Vollmacht for EUR1 document from the seller; this is very important - only having EUR1 document you will get 0% customs duty, otherwise it is 10%; my seller signed the Vollmacht and emailed to Cortesi; actually Cortesi called my seller and explained what and why the Vollmacht is needed
11. with the papers from Cortesi I went to customs officers: first Swiss, then German; Swiss was 10 seconds, one stamp and done
12. German customs officers check the documents then asked me to bring the car to show them, so I drove to the place they showed me; all was OK; quite nice experience, very friendly and professional
13. after few minutes I got documents and request to pay VAT (19% from from the gross invoice value); you can pay in cash or credit card at the counter in the same building.
14 after paying you are done and your car is legally imported to the EU; important: do not lower the value of the car on the invoice! they are checking the value with Eurotax and if the difference is substantial you will pay penalty
15. then you need to follow your country rules for registering the car
16. done; enjoy your dream car Thumbs Up

Cost:
- purchase price
- registartion and insurance in Switzerland: got it covered by seller but you can google for detailed costs
- Cortesi services: EUR100 in total for customs documents and EUR1
- customs duty: 0% of purchase price if you have EUR1; otherwise 10%; some people says that Certificate of Origin from LR Switzerland shall be enough to avoid customs duty but I pushed to be safe and had EUR1
- German VAT: 19% of purchase price

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Tomek

PS. it shall be posted rather in the General section Embarassed
 1971 SIIa LWT
1985 ExMOD 110 ST 3.9 V8 + Sankey
2003 Defender 110SW Td5
2004 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
2011 Discovery 4 V8 HSE 

Post #18340075th Jul 2017 9:36 pm
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thank you Tomek, great guide!

Enjoy your new car!
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #18340776th Jul 2017 7:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >