Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

"In car" bicycle carrier.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bontempi

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
"In car" bicycle carrier.

I am looking for experience with bicycle carriers that fit inside the car, like the Thule 822

http://www.prolineracks.com/thule-822-bed-rider.html

Is anyone using this device, or something similar? I do not want to carry bikes on the outside of the car.

Thanks,
Bontempi

Post #3460924th Dec 2005 8:42 pm
Ocsid

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I carry two Hybrid [700mm wheeled] bikes in the Disco and have studied the options including the Thule 822. These devices hold both bikes the same way round, ie, with front forks both at the rear of the car, and if you leave the handle bars insitu they need to be wide apart. thule also require 100mm of clearence from any bit of the bikes to the car which I found took up too much space. The Thule needed floor fixings that are not present in the Disco; The Delta Stable,[see www.wiggle.co.uk "car racks"] uses a more suitable telescopic cross tube.
I chose to make my own carrier to hold the bikes across the vehicle on the folded second row of seats. I have done this as this arragement leaves the whole of the normal luggage compartment free. I carry mine facing opposite diresctions, this takes much less room up. The carrier is simply fixed to the two tie-downs in the seat backs using quick release Thule straps and its construction is simply two 19mm ply pads [ backed with carpet off-cuts] joined together by a piece of 50x25 mm oak. I made the fork clamps but now know these are available again from Wiggle as "Delta Hitch Pros". I do have to remove the handle bars leaving all the cables connected to achieve the compactness I require. I also take the two saddles off as these inhibit the view of the interior mirror. The rear tyres are strapped to two blocks also mounted on the ply pads.The two front wheels stow just behind the bike frames actually droppinging into the "gap" between the 2nd & 3rd row of seats.
It all works well, and is very stable with no risk of vibrating against the interior. For what I need I still believe its the best option I know of.

Down side:
you need the doors open to get them out, one coming out one side one the other, so you cant do this if parking in a tight space.Just have to pull back whilst you get them out.
Visibility is reduced but not seriously.
It takes about 5 minute at each end of the journey to stow and remove the two.
I have no pictures to hand but if you need help ask and I will try to give you more specific details.

Post #3466125th Dec 2005 10:41 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Seems like a lot of work compared to an external bike rack. The Pendle rack that fits to the tow bar is solid as a rock, holds up to 4 bikes very securely, takes minutes to fit, and leaves the inside of the car avaiable to carry all of the riders and their gear.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #3466225th Dec 2005 11:42 am
bontempi

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for your description Oscid! I get the basica idea, and will likely construct something similar when my Disco arrives.

Wrt external racks, they are useable for short journeys with bikes that aren't to valuable. I rely on having a bike in perfect condition (and still there), when I travel to a race. You'd be amazed how much dirt can be sucked on to a bike that sits outside the rear of a car...

Regards,
Bontempi

Post #3466425th Dec 2005 12:09 pm
Ocsid

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Unfortunately the subject is specifically addressing "in-car bycicle carrier". I can well understand the reason for the question and it was that I was trying to help with.

In some ways it is easier just to stick it on the back. I have been there, but I now both cant and chose not to use an external one for a lot of reasons, including it being "easier" overal.

Will not fit in garage, but this way I just drive in no bikes rack, and towbar to get off. They live in the car all summer.
Ferry surcharges.even with the caravan they wanted to charge me extra vehicle length!
Dont want the fixed towbar, to me its a problem.
Dont want to carry and fit a trailer board.
Bikes are far too valuable to leave in the weather, salt, security of all its fittings etc
Car only just fits in the Park & Pay car park slot as it is.
Gets in the way towing a caravan, particuarly reversing.
Need to use the tail gate.
To me travelling abroad where the bikes have to come everywhere I take my vehicle its far far less hassle with them inside.

Post #3466525th Dec 2005 12:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >