Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Info required on 5 seater
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DaveN

Info required on 5 seater

Wonder if you guys can help me.

I'm thinking of buying a basic 5 seater auto, but my recent visit to the dealer left me none the wiser, as all they could come up with were helpful comments like: Never seen one, hardly any extras on that model, can't offer a test drive etc.

So....what do they drive like with conventional suspension? Do you get front arm rests on the seats? What is on place of the third row of seats? Are the middle row seats removable? Do dealers normally offer a deal to upgrade the tyres to something more suitable like MT's?

Thanks.

Post #3512529th Dec 2005 10:47 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hi Dave and welcome. Not sure about the base 5, especially with coil springs. I suppose it will still be good. The rear seats should still fold flat, and you will still get a huge load area. I don't think you will get arm rests. In place of the third row, you may well get additional storage.

I don't think the dealer will put MT on, but they are readily available aftermarket.

One thing is for sure, whether its a base 5 or HSE 7, you will get a fabulous looking vehicle, with a peach of an engine.

Post #3514129th Dec 2005 11:06 pm
Roddy

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I have Base 5 seater but with Terrain Response. The seats are the same as the 'S' so no armrests no way to upgrade. The rear seats are different from the 7 seater, they fold down the old TD5 way, but the one advantage is that you can lower the middle headrest, giving you a better rear view. Where the 3rd row seats were is a volvo V70 style lid under which are the tools / jack etc.

The heater will be basic with A/C. I have the Climate control as optional extra.

It's just as refined to drive as higher specs, just lacks a few toys.

Wonderful vehicle!!!
 Discovery 3 'S' Bonatti Grey.  
Post #3515529th Dec 2005 11:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ArcFro

Finland 

Hi all,

I had to join this site since this spesific question puzzled me also before I ordered my D3 base in october (called here in Finland S-version).

I have been able to testdrive both versions TD V6 HSE (air susp.) and Base with coil springs. I was highly surprised on stability and driveability of base. There was some obvious loss of cornering grip due to narrow tyres (235/70/17) but on my opinion it gave a bit better consentration of steering on straight road.

After this experience it was easy decision to order mine D3 with coil springs. In case of you are thinking of serious off-roading, air suspension would preferrable option. For me it is not so important since my main motivation is to tow my boat to where ever I want to!

Cargo space in 5-seater is HUGE but on my knowledge pretty much the same as in 7-seater.

Can't wait mine to arrive in january...

Post #3519230th Dec 2005 9:58 am
Monkeyhanger

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Dave,

Give Ripon LandRover a ring on 01765 646464 and ask to speak to Graham Clarke or any of the sales team. They put a black Base Discovery 3 on the road and equiped it as a commercial with the back seats laid down and decking in the back. Looked quite good. If they've still got it you may be able to have a test drive.

Post #3519830th Dec 2005 10:24 am
DaveN

Thanks for the advice guys.

It's interesting that you mention a commercial version, as that would suit me down to the ground. Nene Overland are offering one, and that's what got me interested, as I only want to use it as a van anyway. I wonder if Ripon LR registered it as a commercial, I'll give them a call on Monday and ask. The Nene one only has heavy tinted rear glass, whereas all other official commercials like Mitsubishi, Jeep and now Kia, all have solid windows, which are a bit of a pain. I know Mitsubishi also weld over the seat and seat belt holes so there's no way it can easily be converted back. I tried to get some decent info from DVLA about what exactly constitutes a van, and whether windows were allowed, but finding someone there that actually understands what I'm on about is proving difficult.

The unhelpful guy at my local dealer did say that LR were going to offer a commercial version later this year, but if it has solid windows then I'm not so keen.

I'm quite keen on the Disco as it has a 6 cylinder engine, and most everything else only has 4, and it certainly shows.

I currently use a Land Cruiser Amazon for work when I need to go offroad, and a large estate for the rest of the time. But as the Toyota really doesn't drive very nicely on the road, I'm looking for something to replace the pair. The only problem is my previous experience of Range Rovers has left a bit of a sour taste, especially air suspension and electronics, hence my desire to stick to a base model without all the electricity that may go wrong/break/or get broken off. I was planning to order one with climate, cruise and locking rear diff, then give it a small suspension lift and some MT's to get me to where I need off road.

Post #3525330th Dec 2005 5:30 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I could be wrong but I doubt the locking rear diff is available on a base model without TR
 The End  
Post #3526030th Dec 2005 5:41 pm
HarrisonB

England 

I had the same response when i asked about the 5 seat base - never seen one or sold one. In the end I got a 7 Seat for the same price Laughing

I never got to see a 5 seat with coil springs
 D3 gone for now  
Post #3538730th Dec 2005 10:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >