DISCO4.COM > IIDTool Help

Inspecting a flood-damaged Disco 4 with IID tool- advice pse
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4
Inspecting a flood-damaged Disco 4 with IID tool- advice pse

Hi all,

I'm going to look at a LR4 HSE LUX near-ish me. The vehicle is a 2016 with very low mileage. It was at a dealer but "got a little bit of water in it" during a storm.

I pointed out to the dealer (it wasn't flooded there; they bought it as a salvage title) that it's hard to imagine how the water go it, but in fairness to the guy I spoke to he has no clue what happened.

I'm going to take a look because it is a very good price. I'll take my IID tool but the tool is licensed to my LR3.

Question 1: Can I used it to interrogate faults in a LR4 that it's not licensed to and if so, how do I do that?

Question 2: Does anyone have any observations on things to look out for in a vehicle that may have got water in it?

Grateful for any advice. If it's OK at the price they're asking, it would be a good deal - note quite a steal by any means, but very good.
 PAGODA  
Post #215313911th Jun 2020 4:59 pm
Admirable

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You need to find out if it was salt water? As in left on a beach when the tide came in.

Post #215314011th Jun 2020 5:01 pm
Duc750

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

IID will read all the fault codes without a licensce you just can't change settings etc.

In terms of what to check - I'd check every single ecu plug and major multiplug on the electrics Its not so much what and where water got but how long its been left with water in it.

If the water got high enough the alternator will be scrap too as will most of the fuel system and if its been started without the fuel system being purged (if water got in there) the engine will be a bit of a time bomb

Any sign of salt water and walk away unless they are going to pay you to take it.

I may not have as much experience as some on D3/4 but I've drowned enough vehicles in my time Laughing
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #215314711th Jun 2020 5:24 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Water ingress or flood damage? If flood damage, don’t bother, you will be chasing faults and corroded wiring forever more.

Regards
Steve

Post #215317511th Jun 2020 7:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The IID will work to do the interrogations and also check and clear faults, you just have to click on the vehicle once it does the initial search on the phone - it will say its not licensed and you just carry on. (did this a few years ago for my mate in the US when I was out there working with him for a few days)

Having seen Copart pricing in the US the stealer might be trying to turn a quick but massive profit, so might be worth checking the title and local auction to see what they paid.

You may be lucky and the water didn't breach the car internally but just stayed outside the interior, we missed one in the US a few years ago - was marked as flood but was exterior damage from floating stuff - underside full of flotsum but the interior hadnt breached.

My mate in Il. bought a water damaged D4 where the owner had reversed his boat into water on a trailer but hadn't done a decent job and dropped a rear wheel off the causeway whilst manouvering putting the rear side under water enough to fill through the rear tail light housing. Car had done 14,000 miles and was salvage and bought for 11k

A full set of rear seats carpet and and rear door interior panels new rear arms wheel and tyre and full EPB assembly later, you would never know. Hes since driven it to CA then over the border to Mexico and his father runs it as his daily driver - think it took a year or so of putting ozone into it overnight to get rid of the mouldy smell though!
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #215319211th Jun 2020 9:13 pm
pagoda

I suspect you're probably right that it was picked up for a song. I just don't know how I'd verify that info. Plus if they won't accept a lower offer, then that's that.

Thanks for all the advice - particularly the point about sea water. I hadn't considered that. I don't think it was sea water, but I need to know what the current title shows, which state, etc. The car has sub 30K miles and they want $28k. It's cheap, but it's no bargain noting that the car will forever carry a salvage title and so selling it on would be a challenge.

I need to do a bit more research, but in the first instance I need to take a look to see if it's worth pursuing (full of mushrooms, octopus, sea otter carcass, etc)
 PAGODA  
Post #215320511th Jun 2020 9:58 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

We once found a car with odd stains in the carpets that seller said was water damage ... took previous owner details from v5 , traced him and spoke ... he thought car had been written off as he'd parked it on a beach and been caught out by speed of incoming tide Embarassed

My cousin, who was in car repair trade, said don't touch.

Yet a few years later, he sorted a deal for me on a 300tdi D1 that had been used repeatedly for boat launches/recoveries in salt water. Had it 16 years.

Need to know the reason for water damage.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #215320611th Jun 2020 10:07 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I worked at Land Rover when there was a lot of flooding in early 2000's and we found if car had been sitting in water even only a couple of feet deep, say over night, you might as well write it off. Water would migrate through the wiring loom to then ecu's. It might appear OK initially , but after a while even 6 months later electronic issues would appear as the water reached the ecu's . Some work was done to see if it were possible to survive in a metre of water for 24 hrs. I understand that the only way to achieve this was to fit military grade connectors on all wiring joints which I believe was prohibitively expensive , so it was dropped . Normally its OK for wading and such but not immersion for lengthy periods . Its possible connection technology has improved but we all know of problems with just water leaks.

Post #215321111th Jun 2020 10:32 pm
pagoda

Thanks for the comments.

The more I read the less inclined I am to even take a look Shocked
 PAGODA  
Post #215321912th Jun 2020 2:03 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Run away fast!

Post #215322812th Jun 2020 6:04 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

^^^ or swim away fast. Far too many variables and short/long term risks
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #215323412th Jun 2020 6:41 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

We have had a couple of Discovery's here from other garages. The first one, after lots of issues, When taking the driver's airbag off, the tide mark was just over the centre of the steering wheel! Shocked
They had so many problems, they had to buy it back off the customer they sold it to.

The second one, was a LHD V8, imported from the states, bought from Copart. The gearbox had water in, so did the diffs & transfer box. The Body was from a different vehicle entirely. Someone had tried, but it was apparently in the New Orleans floods.
I got it running, & it was heading to Portugal for the holiday home.... perhaps it stayed dry there. 8)

Post #215339912th Jun 2020 2:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >