Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Inspecting a used D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Danr

United Kingdom 

Russell wrote:
Danr glad you like it now WHERE are the pictures Thumbs Up and what mods are on the cards.

Bad weather been raining and miserable all day so no scenic locations but two quickly taken pics in the gallery for now, (yes - Mr Paranoid has photoshopped the no. plate!).

As for mods - ideally something like this :

http://blog.tomlinsonbomberger.com/wp-cont...-Truck.jpg

or may be this (also will be very handy if we get snowed in!) :- Snigger

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/...g?x=809889

for dealing with the likes of the two idiots who managed to block the street up the road by parking on both sides of a narrow road while they went swanning off to pick their kids up from school. Left just enough space for a micra to get through but nothing bigger. Obviously their kids are far too precious to walk 20 yards like everyone elses. There was a third numpty doing the same thing but she soon she changed her mind when I stopped directly in front of her; she then decided to block the pavement instead (yeah **** anyone with wheelchair/ pushchair who might just want to use the pavement!!!!) - what is it with these people? are they really that stooopid?

I'm thinking the missis might not take well to the second one -What do you think - have fitted anyway but invest in a crash helmet or play it safe and have the first fitted ? lol.

Seriously - I haven't got a clue at the moment other than a tow bar (got some keen cyclists in the house), maybe some front light protectors (i do like the look), the kids are after a dvd player (they're missing the roof mounted dvd player from the old people carrier). May be a set of the door protectors with the steel finish in the centre (saved the old people carrier from many a door ding)

Post #9870798th Oct 2012 7:58 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

DVD players, go for the FL ones in the headrests, take them out and fit them into the D4 ones, I did it and they work great, used an IPOD to play films and they can have two diffrent films at the same time or both with the same film on. TLO was selling kits and there was some on E bay as well.

These are not the ones I was thinking of but may do the job, might be worth asking a few questions.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Range...416c299bb0
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #9871018th Oct 2012 8:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

What colour is the interior
Have two new light coloured D4 genuine headrests sat doing nothing
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #9871208th Oct 2012 8:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

Here you go this is the ones I used in my D4, fairly easy to fit, hardest part is the first cut into the head rest material

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FREELANDER-2-REA...5763baa4ai
D4 camera club 

Post #9871428th Oct 2012 8:57 pm
Danr

United Kingdom 

The interior is black.

Is that a Rosen system? They seem to have the market cornered when it comes to factory fitted optional extra systems, the people carrier had a Rosen system.

I've seen this one :
[url]
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANDROVER-FREELA...ffe5[/url] up at £780. Seems like a lot of money to risk cocking up when other systems are available ready to go for not very much more in the overall scheme of things. I'm not bad at DIY but I've never done car electrics nor car upholstery.

How did you finish the upholstery to stop it working loose from the screen edges? How did you deal with the cabling in the headrest and did you have to open up the back of the seat for the rest of the cabling? I havent had a good look at the back of the seats yet (too interested in the drivers seat at the moment).

At that price rather than risk a cock-up wouldnt it be better to go for something like this for an extra £220 including fitting?

http://www.car-vision.co.uk/land-rover-dvd...v7500.html

Post #9871958th Oct 2012 11:05 pm
outofyorkshire

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I have fitted the same system as Russell twice. Once in D3 & now in D4.

Both times I have fitted them into original headrests rather than ones suppled as FL2 headrests are a different shape to both D3 & D4.

To do this isn't too hard. You first need to strip the screens & frames out of FL2 headrests & use them to replace replace Frames in D4 headrests ( well that's how I did it ) Thumbs Up

You then need to cut out foam where screen goes & then cut headrest cover to fit.
It is glued to screen holder to stop it coming loose (as per FL2 rests).

To get wires out of seats you need to unclip set covers at bottom and reach up & pull them trough.
All gubbins goes in centre console.
Read this thread here.. lots more detail... its D3.. but D4 very similar ... D4 is easier as no handles on side of headrests http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic37462.html

TLO has none left as i got his last set Thumbs Up but still available on ebay.
Pics in my gallery of my finished D3 screens... Thumbs Up

It all depends if you want to stick with original look as many headrests that take 7 inch screens are a different shape to original.. the FL2 ones are the largest you can get in between the edge stitching as can be seen from photos. Not sure who makes them but they are all badged LR (even the bags for the headphones!)

Guess it also depends on how confident you are at having a go Whistle
 Cheers Ian
Massey Ferguson 400 FIS AGTV - Arctic Cat by any other name...
Citroen C3 Picasso for SWMBO so we can remember what fuel economy is!!
Member of the Narpy torch club 

Post #9872449th Oct 2012 8:54 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

For info, I have the factory fitted set up in my current D4, I would not go for it again I would revert back to the FL system and fit it myslef as I did with the last D4. Just need a stiff drink to make the first cut into the leater.
D4 camera club 

Post #9873899th Oct 2012 3:21 pm
Danr

United Kingdom 

What sort of price should I be looking to pay for a set of screens? Can these be used with a DVD player installed in the glovebox?

Post #98756810th Oct 2012 12:51 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

The FL kit uses a set of sockets where the aux plug is at the back of the consol. You can plug DVD, Video or Ipod/players into them and the image plays on the screen. You can put two diffrent images through so ach screen watches diffrent films etc or it comes with two leads so you can paly the same thing on both screens. The link above to a set on e bay starts at 99p from memory, As long as you do not go over £150 I would have said anything under that would be a good buy.
They are relativley easy to fit, hardest part is the first cut into the headrest fabric.

The ones below start at 99p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FREELANDER-2-REA...6732083676
D4 camera club 

Post #98758510th Oct 2012 7:59 am
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #98758610th Oct 2012 8:09 am
outofyorkshire

Think I paid in the region of £100 for the last set i got from Nick Thumbs Up
Retail price for this kit was over £1000 when LR were still selling them
 Cheers Ian

Post #98759710th Oct 2012 8:53 am
Danr

United Kingdom 

I have had top quality advice from members of this forum so on that basis I am picking a pair of FL2 screens up on Saturday - did a deal at £150- there aren't any out there other than the auction site so its a sellers market.

Now I just have to make sure I don't cock up the fitting or lose my fingers whilst trying. Anyone know where I can get some replacement D4 headrests in black leather (just in case i need them)?

Ian - Cheers for the fitting link - Nice job on the D3 fitting, it looks like a factory fit. What glue did you use?

Russell - what are the deficiencies with the new factory fit version?

Post #98777410th Oct 2012 4:02 pm
outofyorkshire

Evostik contact.. the proper solvent based stuff applied to material and frame & allowed to dry (ish) before sticking together. It soaks into material (it aint leather!!) so plenty on that side...Thumbs Up

Will pop out ant take a pic of them in the D4... here ya go, not quite square on to screen, but gives you an idea of how they look..

[/img]
 Cheers Ian

Post #98777610th Oct 2012 4:16 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

There is no deficiencies as such however they are a huge amount of money in comparison and I think the FL ones serve the same purpose. I also used the smelly Evostick glue with no issues.
I was lucky I managed to get hold of a spare set of headrests so if I made a mess I still had the originals to put in it. Still have the spare set but wrong colour for you, sorry.
If you are down my way would be happy to help fit them if you want.
D4 camera club 

Post #98779610th Oct 2012 5:03 pm
Danr

United Kingdom 

Russell, you are an absolute gent, if I get really stuck, I might have to pm you for some guidance on the electrics if that's ok? The electrics are my real worry.

I've used the contact adhesive many times myself; it certainly does stick things well and is flexible, hard to get off if you get it wrong, though.

I know exactly wthat you mean about huge amounts of money, that's just typical of manufacturers/dealers, charge an arm and a leg for stuff that you can buy and fit yourself. In my search for the screens, I came across a main dealer (funnily enough, exactly where I bought the Disco from), who has the FL screen kit up for sale at an eye watering £1390. Look here:-

http://www.landroverpartshop.co.uk/product...m_LR004175

There are bells & whistles systems out there for less.

Post #98798010th Oct 2012 9:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >