DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Inspecting a used D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Danr

United Kingdom 
Inspecting a used D4

Hello all - newbie post no2.

After toying with idea of buying a 2005 D3 V8 and converting to LPG (not cost effective) and no joy finding a good HSE spec 2005 D3 oilburner under £14K, I have gone and put a deposit down on a 59 plate D4 HSE with a lr dealer subject to inspection.

Never having owned a Landy before I am now i am slightly worried about what I'm letting myself in for after reading this (amongst other things):

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic50713.html

This seems to be a common problem. LR seem to have been replacing turbos on individual vehicles but there doesn't seem to be a general recall for this. Bulletin LTB00358v4 is totally useless but it does sort of amount to an admission of a problem.

As i have never driven a D4 is there anything I should specifically look for on a test drive that might be indicative of a smoking problem in the pipeline or the intermittent gearbox/power issue.

Apart form the two specific things above any tips on things to look for generally would be most helpful and very much appreciated.

I cant find any recall information on the D4 - can anyone shed any light on whether there have been any recalls that i should check have been dealt with. The car has full lr service history.

Post #98247127th Sep 2012 5:32 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Might be worth contacting TLO (the large one) on here with a chassis number, he may be able to tell if there is any recall work outstanding. Alternativley post the reg on here as it mat well have belonged to some one off here and they may be able to tell you more, not sure where my old 59 D4 went to but that had a brand new engine.
Drive the car and check all electrics work, it drives silky smoooth and picks up when you accelerate, you will have a good or bad feeling about it and that will be the buy or leave. Bet you buy Whistle
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #98247927th Sep 2012 5:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Danr

United Kingdom 

Russell

Cheers for that piece of info. I am going up to see it on Saturday so I'll have the chassis number by the weekend.

Not too keen on posting a reg number online; too many horror stories of cloners racking up parking tickets and other offences which can be a nightmare to deal with.

If it is a good'un, sadly, I will only get to use it at weekends as its for the wife!

Dan

Post #98250227th Sep 2012 6:14 pm
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #98254327th Sep 2012 7:26 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Would agree with Dave on that.
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #98268227th Sep 2012 9:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Danr

United Kingdom 

You're probably right, that's me just being paranoid or ultra-cautious. Being on the receiving end of it can have that effect!

Post #98268827th Sep 2012 10:07 pm
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #98273927th Sep 2012 11:31 pm
Danr

United Kingdom 

Russell you were right. I bought it. Very Happy Once again cheers for the advice.

Some small niggles like the the plastic protective moulding in both of the rear wheel arches was coming away at the top of the wheel arches (not noticeable unless you get down to wheel level) and key battery is low but dealer is fixing that before collection in about 10 days time.

Drove very smoothly but not as quite smoothly as my merc but perhaps that isnt a fair comparison since this vehicle is three years old in December and my merc only has 6k on the clock.

Came with a few bonuses I wasn't told about like side steps and privacy glass, the dealer at this branch didnt know about these either as the vehicle came in as a px from a different branch and was only handed by the owner this morning. Its somewhat reassuring to know the owner has bought a new one - if it was a lemon they would hardly be coming back for more hassle! I can now delete the bookmarks I'd saved for the sidesteps and the tinters!

Now headlight protectors or not?

Post #98353829th Sep 2012 8:49 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

It should be nice and smooth with regards to gear change, might be worth just getting a test drive at a dealers on another one to confirm it is the same and not an issue with the one you are buying, better safe than sorry. Thumbs Up
D4 camera club 

Post #98361730th Sep 2012 9:56 am
Danr

United Kingdom 

Oh it was very smooth - Smooth enough to conclude a purchase! Very Happy I tend to trust my initial reaction which was very positive.

Post #98386130th Sep 2012 7:39 pm
outofyorkshire

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

59 plate D4 here ...no smoke Thumbs Up

If you are buying it under the LR 'approved' scheme it will come with a min of 12 months full LR warranty as well as MOT warranty & breakdown assistance, so should give you peace of mind Thumbs Up

I assume the dealer you mention is a official LR one in which case they should include the above....make sure they do Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
Massey Ferguson 400 FIS AGTV - Arctic Cat by any other name...
Citroen C3 Picasso for SWMBO so we can remember what fuel economy is!!
Member of the Narpy torch club 

Post #98397530th Sep 2012 10:32 pm
Danr

United Kingdom 

It's from a main dealer. It does come with a years warranty mot and breakdown assistance.

Kept an eye in land rovers approved used site for a number of weeks- it couldn't have been on land rovers site for more than 20 mins before I put a holding deposit down.

So far they have been pretty good customer service wise, I'll post my opinion of them after the pick up.

Post #9840071st Oct 2012 12:36 am
Danr

United Kingdom 

Picked it up yesterday. Absolutely love it - looking for any excuse to drive it at the moment. Re-evaluating what I said about the comparison with the merc after spending a good few hours behind the wheel. It's just as silky smooth.

Post #9866027th Oct 2012 5:59 pm
Garym2000

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Enjoy it ! Thumbs Up

Post #9866197th Oct 2012 6:57 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Danr glad you like it now WHERE are the pictures Thumbs Up and what mods are on the cards.
D4 camera club 

Post #9866297th Oct 2012 7:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >