Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

insurance Problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sps

insurance Problems

I rejected my first Discovery 3 about 6 weeks ago after having 6 months of problems mainly with the air suspension. The dealer eventually accepted my rejection and we agreed a deal on a new 2006 model out of Landrovers stock. To get a good deal on the new Discovery and upgrade to a higher specification the dealer told me that they would register the Discovery for the first 90 days. This did not seem like a problem at the time as they said that I would have an invoice for the discovery which would be proof of ownership, unfortunately when I came to insure it with my current insurers they told me this was not possible as I was not the registered keeper. I then tried another 4 insurance companies only to be told the same and that the Landrover dealer was the only one that could insure it, as they were the registered keeper. When I called the dealer to tell them that I could not insure the Discovery and that they would have to do it, they told me that this was not possible as their insurance did not cover for this situation.
I do not know what to do next as I was supposed to take delivery of the car at 2pm today, unfortunately this did not happen as I could not get any insurance policy. I am now waiting to hear from the dealer. Any thoughts on the problems would be appreciated.
Thanks
SPS

Post #2987225th Nov 2005 8:44 pm
jkp

Scotland 

Assuming you also have finance on the car, does that not also throw up the grey area of ownership. The finance company would be the custodian in a contract with yourself until it was paid off, but if the car is on paper still owned by LR, then there may be issues around this.

I have heard of this done elsewhere, especially via VW dealers who get the benefits from the manufacturer if they claim ownership for 3 months under the garage name.

Not a clever idea on something that ain't cheap in the first place.

Post #2987325th Nov 2005 9:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sps

No I did not get finance, I bought my first car and I am putting the difference to this one. So the deal is between me and Landrover.

Post #2987525th Nov 2005 9:25 pm
jkp

Scotland 

Makes it simpler.

Let us know how you get around the issue of insurance. Its one of those things that is done all the time with dealers, so a simple solution must be out there.

Good Luck.

Post #2987625th Nov 2005 9:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You can get insurance if you are not the registered keeper. Go to http://www.confused.com/ and fill in all your details. They then search loads of companies. Some will not give prices as you are not the registered keeper, but many will.
I've had the same problem. The RRS is regsistered to me, but the insurance is in my wifes name. Should be no difference with you, as all the insurance companies asked for was "is the vehicle registered to you - Yes or No?". There was no further questions about who was the registered owner.
 Matt  
Post #2988525th Nov 2005 11:39 pm
bookert

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

mmm, interesting.

My wife is the registered keeper of our D3 but it's insured under my name plus spouse - cheaper that way. Insurance company, NFU, didn't ask who the keeper was and I did not volunteer the information. I now wonder if they've made the assumption that I'm the keeper and what the implications are in the event of a claim.

Must call them and find out...

Post #2988926th Nov 2005 1:56 am
MVS

Your insurer is just being a pain. Look at someone else like NFU or Norwich union Direct, or let the dealer do it on a LR policy, or better still get them to add your details & any other drivers to their traders policy.

As I understand the law possession is 9/10th of ownership, the V5 proves very little, at the end of the day their are 1000's of lease or hire cars out there owned by garages or other private companies, insured in their drivers names on their own policy.

Post #2989126th Nov 2005 9:14 am
Non Stick Nick

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
drivers

In my case the vehicle was registered to and insured by me. The problem I had was with the business of "main" driver & "named" driver. Thepolicy is with the NFU. I am the main driver & my spouse & son anre named drivers. When my son had a small shunt the NFU wanted to see all the documents to prove that the "main" driver is the same name as the registered keeper. Why I don;t know, but I soon put then right.
Nick
 I am a hob nobber.  
Post #2989226th Nov 2005 9:31 am
sps

Many thanks to every one who answered. Managed to get my insurance sorted out with one of the big insurance companies who have dealt with this situation before. The web site www.confused.com helped a lot. So now I have picked up my new Discovery, so fingers crossed this one doesn't go wrong!!!!!

Post #3008028th Nov 2005 8:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >