Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Insurance: Tesco vs Direct Line
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Russell

United Kingdom 

Be very careful with Tescos, I nearly went with them beofre we went to France. However rang to check through policy and found that they do not provide fully comp insurance when abroad, only minimum required in that country. That would have meant that I did not even have fire or theft when in France!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rang back three times and spoke to three diffrent people, all said the same so be aware and carefull if you go abroad.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #82569314th Aug 2011 4:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Russell wrote:
Be very careful with Tescos, I nearly went with them beofre we went to France. However rang to check through policy and found that they do not provide fully comp insurance when abroad, only minimum required in that country. That would have meant that I did not even have fire or theft when in France!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rang back three times and spoke to three diffrent people, all said the same so be aware and carefull if you go abroad.

I'd be pretty surprised - not to mentioned Censored ed off - if that were the case. I'm pretty sure it isn't. Here's the wording:

We will cover your legal liability to others while you or any driver covered by this policy are
using the car within the European Union and any other countrywhich has agreed to
follow Article 7(2) of the EU Directive on Insurance of Civil Liabilities arising from the use
of motor vehicles (number 72/166/EEC). You do not need an International Motor
Insurance Card (Green Card) for visits to these countries.
We will also provide the cover shown on your Schedule for up to a total of 90 days in any
period of insurance while you are using the car within the countries referred to above.
We will provide the cover shown on your Schedule in Eire as long as the car does not
remain there formore than 90 consecutive days at any one time.

However, insurance companies being what they are, I will be checking!
 PAGODA  
Post #82573214th Aug 2011 7:52 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Yes as you say I was very suprised to say the least. I rang back over 3 days at the end of July and spoke to 3 diffrent people. They all stated clearly that I would only be covered for the minimum requirment for France and that would mean no fire or theft cover and certainly no fully comp cover. I asked if it was possible to up grade and was told no so I chose to steer clear and my current company matched there price so I still got a good deal.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #82573414th Aug 2011 7:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

Use to be able to buy a green card when I worked there a fair few years back , which would upgrade your cover to fully comp iirc

Bear in mind too, tesco policies at this time were underwritten by the same company that does direct line, same building and everything, basically direct line, tesco, privilege, churchills were all owned one way or another by RBS Insurance who own Uki Psrtnership

Post #82575014th Aug 2011 9:03 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

OK, just called and spoke to the underwriting dept at Tesco. They confimed that one has 90 days cover for EU states at the save level of cover in the policy. So, as I have fully comp UK cover, my Euro cover is exactly the same. A relief and as I thought, but always worth checking so am grateful, Russell, for the prompt.

Thanks.
 PAGODA  
Post #82588415th Aug 2011 12:45 pm
Dave T

England 

Just tried the club card discount, a whole £4, should I spend a bit and save a bit! Rolling with laughter

Have been on the phone for hours now and really do not understand insurance companies.

Admiral multicar, who we are with started off at £957 for D3, Defender and a Clio, then they offered me "special discounts" as I qualified for them and it came down to £899. However if I go through Go Compare I can get all three for £675 with Admiral........ someone please explain the logic. Question Question

Direct line came in at £754 for the three, not too bad but less than Tesco even with their mega clubcard discount!
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #82597815th Aug 2011 6:40 pm
Dave T

England 

Was just finalising my insurance and got quite a shock from Admiral,

Having just spoken to them, they were making the price even cheaper and we were down to £150 for the Clio and £280 for the D3. However, when I said yes I had a claim, I was parked in a car park and someone reversed into me, they took full responsibility and everything went through their company, but it suddenly makes me a bigger risk Question Question Price now goes up to £190 and £380. Sorry, how does that make me a bigger risk Question Question

Now trying Nor County as suggested in another thread
1994 Defender 90

2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #82822323rd Aug 2011 5:22 pm
TC

United Kingdom 

I am with LV on the BMW and NFU on the Disco.

LV were £80 cheaper at renewal than anyone else, don't think they do price comparison sites (could be wrong), good cover as well......worth a stab

Post #82823023rd Aug 2011 6:09 pm
Dave T

England 

Have ended up with Privilige for D3 and Clio, actually get a healthy discount for haveing home insurance and a second car with them, even with my poor driving record of someone driving into me whilst stationary!

Came in at £294 for D3 fully comp protected, justr the defender to go now Thumbs Up
1994 Defender 90

2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #82824523rd Aug 2011 7:45 pm
Dave T

England 

Just seen an interesting headline on the BBC website

Rising car premiums boost Admiral

Find that hard to believe! Whistle
1994 Defender 90

2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #82835924th Aug 2011 8:34 am
al cope

England 

well same boat once again, premiums have gone up - so hit the tinterweb and the phones.........

with Tesco right now, last year 550, this year 691 (and last year I had to pay another 35quid for comp in Europe)

Phoned, and all in (inc euro cover, and my 20" alloys, which were in last year too), £636

Direct line - £491, not bad.... add my LR 20" alloys = £703 - sod that
Avia £711
NFU - wouldnt cover my postcode
LV over a grand
Admimal over a grand.

looks like I could be sticking with Tesco.

As quite a few of you are running with mods (allys/remaps/etc) - who are you using for insureance, as most of the big boys cant handle anything non-standard - "computer says no" sort of thing.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #82844924th Aug 2011 2:07 pm
Dave T

England 

Did you try privilige, same company as direct line (& Tesco) but have always been cheaper for me
1994 Defender 90

2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #82845724th Aug 2011 3:17 pm
al cope

England 

yep = 575 without my alloys.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #82846324th Aug 2011 3:43 pm
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

Dave T wrote:
Was just finalising my insurance and got quite a shock from Admiral,

Having just spoken to them, they were making the price even cheaper and we were down to £150 for the Clio and £280 for the D3. However, when I said yes I had a claim, I was parked in a car park and someone reversed into me, they took full responsibility and everything went through their company, but it suddenly makes me a bigger risk Question Question Price now goes up to £190 and £380. Sorry, how does that make me a bigger risk Question Question

Now trying Nor County as suggested in another thread

I had a big argument with Admiral about them classifying a no-fault accident as my-fault. In the end the bloke just said "Look I am doing you a favour, no-fault claims count as worse than fault claims on your record". I think there is some logic to it: i.e. if you have a fault accident, you might be a bit more careful in future, but if you live in area where people drive into you all the time, there isn't much you can do about that....

Anyway, off to court in September so a judge can decide who was at fault, the bloke who was moving or the bloke who was parked in a parking bay - and people wonder why insurance premiums are so high!
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #82849124th Aug 2011 5:12 pm
doleawg

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I was with NFU and my renewal this year was £2,500 without AA cover. Big Cry Big Cry

In the end got my cover from Admiral @ £900 including European AA cover.

Note to self...Must stop crashing car Embarassed Embarassed

Post #82849524th Aug 2011 5:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >