DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Insuring your Mantec plate.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NoDo$h

Ukraine 
Insuring your Mantec plate.....

Sad

Realised I ought to declare the Mantec and ASFIR plates to my insurers, and they want to charge me an extra £120 for the year for these "modifications". I'm in the process of arguing the toss with the underwriters as the kit is hardly visible, makes no difference to performance and reduces the potential for damage. It looks like the call centre have just lumped it in with "external modifications" which covers everything from spoilers and splitters to custom paint jobs and hit me with a one-size-fits-all premium loading.

Hopefully I'll get a positive answer, but if I don't, has anyone else declared their underbody protection to their insurers and if so, what was the reaction?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #16592411th Jun 2007 10:49 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The plate will cause additional damage to whatever it hits... its harder than the plastic is replaces Wink - its what it does. Thus repair bills to the other vehicle could be greater or perceived to be greater die the plate being there.

Also it would lead some to drive less carefully off road than those without the plate too... not all, but some.

I guess this is why they have loaded the premium for you.

Post #16592811th Jun 2007 10:57 am
SN

Pessimism has always been one of your great assets Simon Thumbs Up Wink
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #16593211th Jun 2007 11:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

That had better not be their answer. 7 years NCD (5 years claim free in company cars before that) and a clean licence ought to tell them I'm not a risk taker. As long as they don't see some of the pics and vids on here Whistle

As for damage, I've pointed them at the G4 spec vehicles and asked them to consider the difference in premium between a G4 and a V8HSE as a starting point, then work backwards from there, reducing the loading for not having a rack, chimney or winch.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #16593411th Jun 2007 11:11 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

SN wrote:
Pessimism has always been one of your great assets Simon Thumbs Up Wink

I know Wink

I like to be surprised when things go right when I expect them to go wrong... oh that's a bit pessimistic too isn't it Wink

Post #16593511th Jun 2007 11:13 am
JMC

Scotland 

My understanding from insurers is that you need to decalre accessories which are not OEM accessories. In other words, if you purchase a rear ladder and some seat covers then this is OK.

Now, I know the Mantec plate is not the same as the OEM winch version, but I'm damn sure I have better things to do than tell an insurance company aboout something they don't understand so thay can decide to load a premium anyway. Evil or Very Mad

Next thing somebody will be suggesting is that a can of coke in my cubby fridge is a 'modification' as it wasn't suipplied with the car Rolling Eyes

Sometimes, I have found that it is possible to be 'too honest' in life. Whistle
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #16594411th Jun 2007 11:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JMC

Scotland 

Anybody here with an A-Bar or Spot Lamps that has declared them to their insurers?

Or bling chrome exhaust tips Embarassed
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #16594511th Jun 2007 11:53 am
White Disco

Australia 

Yep sure did. Just in case they got upset over them, if I was in a front on collision. Also had them on My previous Pootrol & told the ensuringtheymakeaprofit company.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #16594711th Jun 2007 11:58 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

JMC wrote:
Anybody here with an A-Bar or Spot Lamps that has declared them to their insurers?

Yep ...LR Insurance are happy with non-performace enhancing accessories.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #16595011th Jun 2007 12:02 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Actually, this is exactly what I was meaning - has anybody been loaded for a non performance enhancing accessory?
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #16595111th Jun 2007 12:05 pm
SN

As OEM approved accessories they shouldn't be an issue, should they.....

BTW - has anyone got contact details / website for LR Insurance - can't find any direct info on the LR web site Confused
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #16595711th Jun 2007 12:16 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

0800 072 4450

http://www.landrover.co.uk/gb/en/Vehicles/...urance.htm
 The End  
Post #16596011th Jun 2007 12:24 pm
Alex E
Holy Bratwurst! 

when i first insured "the gimp" i told them about the winch all the underbody protection (which i haven't bought yet) and the snorkel, they tried to charge me £50 for the snorkel and had no opinion about the winch.i argued the point with NFU, two weeks later they sent me the docs with no extra charge,
 I'm Powered by........Diesel Thud  
Post #16598711th Jun 2007 1:25 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Hallelujah, they have seen the light. Underwriters have agreed that as these and similar parts are fitted on factory models (G4), that they offer protection and make no difference to performance, no charge.

8)
Post #17041925th Jun 2007 11:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >