Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Intermitent loss of power / it puts itself into low ratio
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
martynb

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Intermitent loss of power / it puts itself into low ratio

I have an ongoing issue with a 08 (17.k) D3 that regularly looses all power, normally when pulling away after a few seconds stationary, at a junction for example.

It behaves like it in Low Ratio but the on board comp has failed so no idea what the car thinks its doing at the time, the only way out of this situation is to reboot i.e. off/on the ignition.

The dealer has had it back three times to look at it and spouts a number of excuses ranging from faulty propshaft sensors to dirt in the reversing sensors !!!!

Has anyone seen this behaviour and if so which bit of either the car or the dealer did they hit with somthing big and heavy (which is what i regularly do to my 23 year old 90 which works like new despite the abuse;)

Martyn

Post #3994629th Jan 2009 4:04 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

If the on-board computer has failed as you say then this needs to be the primary focus as it is a sign of electronic malfunction, it could be going into GGS mode on the Terrain Response or any multitude of other problems. The D3 relys heavily on electronic sensors inputs etc.

There have been turbo issues reported by some which result in loss of power, as can sticky EGR valves but I doubt either would be cured by an ignition reset. Sounds definitely like an electronics fault.

If the dealer can't sort it, find one who can. It's unacceptable on a vehicle that new.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #3994669th Jan 2009 4:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chillisauce

Switzerland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mine has dropped power in the same way (althought the computer keeps going). It's done it only 2/3 times in 15 months but each time, a few seconds after coming out of TR and back into normal and pulling away.

I think TR is the place to start.

Mines not been hit with the dealer as it hasn't bugged me enough for me to risk them breaking something else or making it worse.

To clarify, you don't have to be stopped and in N to switch off TR do you?? I think not!
 D3 Zermatt Silver TDV6 HSE (have)
Triumph Tiger 800XC (just have)
Defender 110 (did have)
SIII Ex-MoD 109 (did have)
Orange P7 + Specalized Roubaix (still have) 

Post #3994909th Jan 2009 4:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >