Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Intermittent suspension fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
v8bobtail

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

G_Cam wrote:
If you look at my suggestions they are fault find and fix... not just guessing.. (apart from the relay which is simply prudent)

ie if the tank has no hole and no leak.. you do not need to fix it! but you can eliminate it and move on.

While an iid or such like is totally indispensable it will only ever guide you to an area for investigation.. So yes you can look at venting gallery pressures, height sensor voltage etc... but if you don't have any facility to read codes you need to go down the old fashioned fault finding route in terms the most to the least probable cause... which is what the OP asked for.. Thumbs Up

Or connect to the MMP psychic transmission broadcast channel..

I will give your suggestions a try when I’ve got a spare minute as I have no code reader to check with. I couldn’t hear any air escaping from anywhere when I was under there but I know it’s not always easy to hear it. 🤗

Post #193759017th Apr 2018 9:22 pm
Grandadrob

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 3

I have had my fault light come on today and say normal height only.
After reading all the posts, I read the one by BrettKaz, which said that it only happened after cresting a hill and backing off............
Left home this morning, engine cold, climbed the small hill outside my house....ping....normal height only. Pulled over, turned the engine off for a minute, restarted and all ok.
Drove 100 miles, parked up in a car park. Started motor from cold, car park in a dip, reasonably steep ascent onto the roadway.....ping, normal height only. Stopped motor, restarted, drove 100 miles home no problems.
So does his solution of the alternator seem ok. I am still under warranty, and the alternator is included, so am very anxious to sort this soon.
 1955 SWB Series 1 86 inch
1960 SWB Series 2 88 inch
2009 Discovery 3 HSE Bournville Pearl 

Post #193824919th Apr 2018 7:34 pm
v8bobtail

I’ve just fitted a new alternator and still have the problem so I wouldn’t jump to that straight away, if it’s on it’s way out you should hear a faint metallic noise as revs build, it’s a bit hard to describe and pin point. Another way to check is stick your nose over the engine and sniff, there will be an electrical smell if it’s on it’s way out. 👍🏻

Post #193825119th Apr 2018 7:42 pm
Grandadrob

So can you tell me what part the alternator "could" play in this problem please.
Had the charge rate tested last week...14.4 volts.

Post #193825919th Apr 2018 7:55 pm
v8bobtail

The bearings start to go which is where the noise comes from and is it gets worse it allows the rotor to come into contact with the magnets so it shorts out and that’s where the smell comes from.

Post #193829519th Apr 2018 9:26 pm
BrettKaz

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

‘Normal height only’ doesn’t necessarily mean a suspension fault. It simply means that ecu is not comfortable that it can safely control the car at normal height at road speeds similar to the way the suspension will lower to normal height from extended height above 15mph (or whatever the speed is).

The typical inputs that I am aware which throw up are:
Brake light switch - which activates abs and turns off cruise control
Wheel speed sensors - input to abs
Steering angle sensor - which I assume feeds to suspension load adjustment ... not really sure
Height sensors - unable to determine level
Brake light bulb - failed bulbs arc and may?interfere with the brake switch? - in any case the ecu does not like it

This is why Narpy rightly suggests to get the codes read. A bunch of comms errors from different looms suggest a battery/altenator fault ( this type of fault would also normally flash also ‘transmision’ fault’ on the dash). Coms errors on one loom might be a connection or short. A specific sensor fault would be likely be that particular sensor or wiring.

Hardware (leaking) suspension faults are normally evident if the car is left over nite in the form of a corner lower than others.

Last edited by BrettKaz on 20th Apr 2018 2:42 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #193830019th Apr 2018 9:40 pm
BrettKaz

v8bobtail wrote:
I’ve just fitted a new alternator and still have the problem so I wouldn’t jump to that straight away, if it’s on it’s way out you should hear a faint metallic noise as revs build, it’s a bit hard to describe and pin point. Another way to check is stick your nose over the engine and sniff, there will be an electrical smell if it’s on it’s way out. 👍🏻

Maybe altenator took battery with it.

Post #193831119th Apr 2018 10:39 pm
BrettKaz

Grandadrob wrote:
So can you tell me what part the alternator "could" play in this problem please.
Had the charge rate tested last week...14.4 volts.

Battery?

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/flat-batter...p;start=15

Post #193831319th Apr 2018 11:13 pm
v8bobtail

BrettKaz wrote:
v8bobtail wrote:

Maybe altenator took battery with it.

I hope not, it’s less than a year old!!! Big Cry

Post #193832120th Apr 2018 5:08 am
Grandadrob

So getting more info on this suspension fault light.....normal height only... message.

I think it is linked to battery condition..............because.

If I start the car from cold, drive off immediately, up slight hill etc. Then ping etc. Stop motor for a minute start, no light.

If I start the car from cold, let it tick over for two or three minutes, then drive off......no ping.

Ping also happens if I have moved the car around the yard from cold, stopping the motor and starting it again a few times..........

Once the light is sorted, I can drive forever without seeing it.

So my theory is this.

Starting the car from cold, is a drag on the battery, starting it several times, is a bigger drag.
Let it tickover for a few minutes, allows the battery to take in some of that depleted charge.
So methinks, maybe my battery is not tip-top, although it behaves itself in every other respect.
I got it checked few weeks ago, they said alternator charging at 14.4 volts, and that the battery needed charging.

That Guys is my uneducated, simple logic, proposal. Does it make sense ???? Question

Post #193916023rd Apr 2018 6:52 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

No it doesn't. Rolling Eyes
I think you need to get the codes read Grandadrob. Rolling Eyes

These cars have a built in self diagnostic system that records fault codes when something isn't working correctly. It's not 100% accurate but should point you in the right direction to resolving your issue. It really should be the first point of call when something pings up but far too many people ignore it completely, preferring to stumble around, randomly guessing and hypothesising wildly to hopefully fall onto a possible solution and when it comes to these cars, there's literally dozens of possible causes for each error.
If you want to throw money away by randomly replacing parts, hoping to hit the right one, go ahead.
Or if you'd prefer to be given a big head start to what may be causing your specific problem.............get the codes read then come back and ask for help. Wink

If you don't have a code reader yourself, start a post asking for anyone in/near your location to help you, most members have suitable diagnostic kit and will give their time for the price of a brew or even a chat about Discovery's whilst your codes are read. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #193921523rd Apr 2018 9:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >