Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

What is the best, flush fitting Sat nav etc for the dash?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
jik22

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

BlackPerth wrote:
Jeff, would be grateful if I could meet you and check it out. Can you let me know when is convenient (PM)...cheers

Chris

You have a PM. In the meantime, now I'm back home, here's a (very poor!) pic of the install.

Click image to enlarge
 - Jeff K -  
Post #37363814th Nov 2008 10:08 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I gave up on the cubby. Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And the Base Head unit. Rolling Eyes
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #37370514th Nov 2008 12:29 pm
APG

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Excellent install...

It looks to fit perfectly...

I NEED one Very Happy

Click image to enlarge
 Allan  
Post #37371214th Nov 2008 12:51 pm
jik22

APG wrote:
Excellent install...

It looks to fit perfectly...

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the idea - http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic10514.html?highlight=kenwood
 - Jeff K -  
Post #37383214th Nov 2008 6:12 pm
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Kenwood - screen, Sat nav, Integration unit etc

Well, after much thought and discussion with various parties I have settled on "splurging" and going down the Kenwood path. Strathfield Car Audo at Cannington in Perth WA (Steve) has fitted this system below to 10 Land Rovers (he is next door to Southern Land Rover) and that for me was the decision maker as he knew all the issues so well. If you own the non Hi Ice system like I do this is the "ducks guts" and priced accordingly (!) I have purchsed:

Kenwood KOSL702 - 7 inch wide Touch screen, mounts in dash as detailed by Jeff etc above
Kenwood KOSV500 - Integration System (supports Sat Nav Bluetooth, extra amp, digital TV, DVD, rear camera, with USB and SD card access for all Garmin updates etc); sits under seat
Kenwood KNAG431A - Sat Nav (Garmin)
Kenwood KCAIP300 - iPOd adaptor (sits in glove box, charges and displays everything on the screen)
Bluetooth link - the system has a memory of 15000 (!!!) contacts
HITVTRU - Digital car tv tuner
GC05 Reverse camera

I'll post pictures once its all fitted and let you all know whether I'm happy but it certainly impressed me "in store".

Cheers

Chris
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #3839826th Dec 2008 5:51 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Sounds Great Thumbs Up

Cant wait to see the pictures Smile
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #3839946th Dec 2008 9:08 am
StornowaySA

Well, all fitted and Brilliant!! I know its sacriligious to comment without photos - but my camera is out of action at the moment!! Whilst this is a big budget fit, it is still vastly better than the standard LR Sat Nav / ipod unit; I now have the excellent Kenwood screen - not yet flush fitted - I have it standing vertical for the moment because I wanted to see it all working perfectly for a few months and then make it flush fitting after the Warranty period on the screen has expired. Thought knowing my luck the damn thing might stop working and with a "modified" casing (!!!) to make it fit I wouldnt be able to claim under warranty! I'll copy Jeff's fitting in a few months time. Anyway, highly recommend the whole kit to anyone BEFORE they look at ordering a new car with the factory sat nav/ipod/bluetooth/dvd/tv etc etc kit. Promise photos will follow - but really its identical to Jeff's above anyway, except my dvd / ipod etc link to the overhead screen (which was fitted at the factory) so you can watch ipod videos and live TV on both the 7 inch screen and the overhead scree.

And to think when I was my sons age we had an old Ford with nothing more than an AM radio.....sigh......
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #38916917th Dec 2008 5:00 am
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

BlackPerth wrote:
And to think when I was my sons age we had an old Ford with nothing more than an AM radio.....sigh......

Makes you appreciate the patience and tolerance of our parents don't it Laughing I'm really pleased I went with the Kenwood unit and sure you will be too, it's been wonderful Thumbs Up
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #38917417th Dec 2008 6:15 am
jik22

BlackPerth wrote:
I have it standing vertical for the moment because I wanted to see it all working perfectly for a few months and then make it flush fitting after the Warranty period on the screen has expired. Thought knowing my luck the damn thing might stop working and with a "modified" casing (!!!) to make it fit I wouldnt be able to claim under warranty!

Actually, unless you screen is a different, you don't have to cut the case to get the flush fit. We just hacked the dash about some more and the screen fitted in complete. The original poster did his case mods first to see if he could get away without cutting the dash but ended up needing to anyway. Having the benefit of talking to him and seeing his install photos first, I got away without it.
 - Jeff K - 

Last edited by jik22 on 19th Dec 2008 7:06 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #39000218th Dec 2008 11:33 pm
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I like the look of that Sony, has anyone done the same in a D3. Keen to have the integrated look but without too much spaghetti.

BCP

Post #39001218th Dec 2008 11:41 pm
StornowaySA

Oh, thanks Jeff!! I will arrange to come and see you in the New year Wink
Post #39006819th Dec 2008 6:45 am
gbl120755

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Blackperth

I am very interested in doing something similar.

I know you listed some of the parts in an earlier post but I cannot find some of them on the internet and some of the others are only listed by Kenwood in the UK. Can you therefore please re-list all the parts (manufacturer, model number etc), the name of the supplier, the cost etc.
Also a description of the install would be most helpful. Bow down
If you purchased the satnav from the UK, how did you obtain the Aust maps.

Thanks Grahame
 2005 SE TDV6, white; remapped to 185Kw; Black widow drawers & cargo barrier; underbody radiator guard; Mitchell bros tow hitch; rhino roof racks; Traxide duel battery system; GME 3440 UHF; Alpine W502 entertainment unit with front & rear camera, HiTv GPS & Hema off-road maps.  
Post #3958943rd Jan 2009 5:40 am
StornowaySA

Grahame,

Details below. I havent got the prices here with me but all up you are looking at around $4K including fitting. alot - yep - but whats the factory unit? $7K? All of this is Australian Kenwood stuff - I bought nothing from o/s.

Kenwood KOSL702 - 7 inch wide Touch Monitor for the Advanced Integration AV Controller Kenwood KOSV500
KOSV500 - Advanced Integration AV Controller (supports Sat Nav Bluetooth, extra amp, digital TV, DVD, rear camera, with USB and SD card access for all Garmin updates etc); sits under seat
Kenwood KNA-G431 - Sat Nav (Garmin)
Kenwood KCAIP300 - iPOd adaptor (sits in glove box, charges and displays everything on the screen)
Kenwood KCA - BT200 - Bluetooth link

I will get more details on the following shortly:
HITVTRU - Digital car tv tuner
GC05 Reverse camera

All this was purchased from Steve at Strathfield Car Audio in Cannington WA and I would encourage you to call him as he has done this exact fit now 12 times I think to Discos and RR Sports; his shop is next door to one of two LR dealers in WA (!).
Post #3958993rd Jan 2009 7:09 am
powella

Australia 2007 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

Did he mount your AV500 and KNAG431 under the center rear seat or under the front passenger seat?

Mine are under the center rear seat and will be moved shortly to allow the rear to go flat.

AP.
 2007 Discovery 3 HSE TDV6, Java Black. Towing a Kimberley Karavan... somewhere...  
Post #3959173rd Jan 2009 10:40 am
StornowaySA

passenger seat!!
Post #3959283rd Jan 2009 11:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >