Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

What is the best, flush fitting Sat nav etc for the dash?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
What is the best, flush fitting Sat nav etc for the dash?

All, with electronics changing so frequently I have tralled through some old threads BUT, what I really want to know is RIGHT NOW (!) what is the best solution for me for a unit / screen that is flush fitting with the empty cubby space (where the LR screen goes)? I want Sat Nav (incl off road); rear camera; Blue Tooth; iPOD;
cheers

Chris
Perth, OZ
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #37188011th Nov 2008 10:05 am
Mr Andrew

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

My suggestion - a Garmin Nuvi 760. I cut a piece of clear perspex which sits flat in the cubby hole, and then the Nuvi (mounted on its std suction mount) sits neat and flush. Plus, when I am street parked and at risk of theft, its very easy to drop down into the footwell, out of sight. I organised to run the power cable through the dash, but later took it out, as it compromised my ability to do this.
Pros:
- excellent offroad maps and topo. contours come from Oztopo (now v2.1)
- Nuvi is a a fantastic navigator. Interface with your laptop is essential for complex route planning
- bulletproof satellite reception in this position, without any external ariel hassles. It still works with my canoes on the roof, whatever.
Cons:
- the bluetooth phone is pretty average, and I don't use it.

I think you'd be pretty happy. personally, the ability to move it, take it inside etc is a winner for me, but perhaps not for you if you want that "built in" effect. Final suggestion - contact gpsoz

Post #37189311th Nov 2008 10:47 am
yawlboy

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

I'm interested as well.
 1993 Defender 110 300tdi - many mods  
Post #37190511th Nov 2008 11:09 am
nickski2005

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Im also interested. Sounds good Black Perth.

Post #37193911th Nov 2008 12:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cdodkin

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

I'll 2nd the NUVI as one of the best Sat Nav units out there

I had the chance to compare the OEM Land Rover Sat Nav with my Nuvi, and hence went Nuvi rather than OEM

Nuvi was much easier to use, allowed you to input to it while in motion (The LR unit does not), and was all around a better experience.

Models like the 760 (widescreen) are awesome - and way cheaper than OEM of course!

Plus you can download custom Points Of Interest (POI) files from the InterWeb and upload to your Nuvi - giving you access to things like store locations, speed camera locations, redlight camera locations etc etc.

My Nuvi now warns me as I approach a speed/red light camera location, and I have time to check my speed Whistle
 08 LR3 SE V8 - 02 D2 SE7 V8
Porsche 911 (03 996) - 2013 MINI Cooper S 

Post #37212811th Nov 2008 6:32 pm
StornowaySA

Does the NUVI have rear view camera application too?
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #37231911th Nov 2008 11:22 pm
cdodkin

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Nuvi 5000 has the rear camera input as an option

nüvi 5000 also includes a composite video input so you can connect it to a rear-view camera for backing up safely.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=13...featureTab

08 LR3 SE V8 - 02 D2 SE7 V8
Porsche 911 (03 996) - 2013 MINI Cooper S 

Post #37232411th Nov 2008 11:30 pm
StornowaySA

a Garmin Nuvi 760 has been mentioned - will investigate further!
Post #37232911th Nov 2008 11:31 pm
pandion2

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Chris,
I went down the Kenwood pathway using the KOS-V500 with the KOS-L702 touch screen (7inch display), the KNA-G430 Sat Nav and the KCA-BT200 bluetooth unit. It is worth considering but not the cheapest solution around. Sat Nav is a Garmin unit and runs City Navigator and OZTopo which cover all my on road and off road navigation. The bluetooth unit's full potential is limited by the KOS-V500 intergration unit but is adequate for my needs. Has provision for rear camera and iPod (with video) as well as a range of other add ons such as TV and DVD Players. There are some issues with the screen installation and I have yet to intergrate the audio into the SE's Audio system to inprove audio output quality. Anyway PM me for the details if you are interested in going this way.

David

Post #37240212th Nov 2008 12:52 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Chris,

I thought of using the hole in the dash to mount the GPS but I couldn't come up with a removable solution, as I need to take my GPS with me when I fly interstate.

My solution has proved very cheap, convenient and easily removable....

I used the standard Ipod dock cupholder and attached the GPS cradle to it (velcro straps!) so my GPS now sits in the cupholder directly in front of the cig lighter..

Works a treat and with the use of "spoken words" I don't need to keep looking at it to see where I'm going...
Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #37240612th Nov 2008 1:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jik22

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I did an almost exact replica of this install by arsi:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic10514.html?highlight=kenwood

Except I had the reversing camera mounted under the tailgate release handle to better shade it from the sun, and I added a video and audio feed from the existing roof DVD player to the screen and stereo aux in too, which rules out an ipod integration which I didn't see as being important at the time.

I also didn't do Bluetooth through it - I stuck a Parrot kit in seperately, mounted where the driving light switch would be if fitted, as I didn't know there was a Kenwood BT add-on and am using a US sourced screen and nav box, so they may not work with it anyway.

It's probably not the best at everything, but like you, I wanted flush fitting and factory look far more than a few more features in something that would have been a far less pretty fit. You're welcome to come and see it if you like to help you decide which way you want to go.
 - Jeff K -  
Post #37301513th Nov 2008 6:24 am
StornowaySA

Jeff, would be grateful if I could meet you and check it out. Can you let me know when is convenient (PM)...cheers

Chris
Post #37302913th Nov 2008 8:23 am
Mr Andrew

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Mobyone, this is how I did it. Cut a piece of perspex, removable etc

Post #37312113th Nov 2008 11:37 am
Barton Freelander

The Sony nv-u83 fits perfect in the freelander 2 not sure if it would be the right size for the disco.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.

Also an Audi TT Roadster.Smile 

Post #37330413th Nov 2008 5:09 pm
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Mr Andrew wrote:
Mobyone, this is how I did it. Cut a piece of perspex, removable etc..

very clever and simple Mr Andrew.... Thumbs Up (although I'd prefer to run power to in internally, rather than have cables draped across the front)

me thinks me just may free up one cupholder and move the GPS closer to eye level!!

Cheers
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #37356913th Nov 2008 11:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >