Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

is multimeter reliable to test a thermocouple? Fridge issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
sputnixb51

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

gstuart, I have never yet seen one on a UK built touring Caravan or motor home,that's why it is so important to seal the fridge to protect the occupants from CO especially as the fridge is open flue and doubly especially since they are no longer terminated outside the caravan as they used to be, only being terminated behind the upper vent, that's also why you should not operate the fridge on gas with the vent transit covers in place like some people do.

Post #183613112th Jul 2017 3:42 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

that's why i was also curious regarding a carbon monoxide alarm , inc a gas alarm

imagine like others seen so many hazards over the years , inc those mobile gas bottle heaters being used in mobile offices , no ventilation

seen fridge vents fitted on the awning side of caravans , a scary situation

to also think at one time ascot water heaters were classified as safe, nothing like having a flueless appliance in the bathroom Shocked Shocked

Post #183614512th Jul 2017 4:18 pm
sputnixb51

gstuart, have a look at my website for sooting pictures even with the correct flues all statics, I have seen the bottom of touring Caravans burnt out by fridges when the flue has soothed up and the flame as little as it is comes out sideways, I have also seen static Widney fire burners with holes burnt through them from outside when people have force lit them even with oxy Pilots they also burn out sideways through the monitoring ports, the TC has been positioned to take heat from the burner flame instead of having them serviced.
ospreycaravanparkandlpgaservices.com

Post #183616512th Jul 2017 5:14 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,
it was the leisure spares on line supplier that had been suggested,
have got a price from them (near £50 Shocked ) although they Do have stock, trying to source locally as £30 seems nearer the mark?

Did ask about the Magnetic insert / solenoid (part number 500) but it is not available on its own complete gas vale only..

I don't remember hearing the "click" from setting or releasing, already took the TC off so will see when I have a new one fitted.

Gstuart, to be honest No we don't have a CO monitor in the caravan, we do have it serviced (was done this March) and they check for safe combustion, although now I have seen how the fridge is sealed combustion side to living side its a strip of foam wedged on top of the fridge and could be done better
A CO monitor is now on the shopping list.
And yes the vent is into the awning area at side of the door, although I think it would pass the ventilation = good.

I am happy dealing with gas side of things (have a background in all types of gasses) and 12V not so keen on 240v

I will update when I have a new TC to fit/try

Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #183622112th Jul 2017 7:43 pm
sputnixb51

£30 for a fridge TC is roughly in the correct area I have solenoids on their own, would need a photo and measurements if it comes to that, hopefully it will only be the TC.

Post #183624112th Jul 2017 8:42 pm
gstuart

sputnixb51 wrote:
gstuart, have a look at my website for sooting pictures even with the correct flues all statics, I have seen the bottom of touring Caravans burnt out by fridges when the flue has soothed up and the flame as little as it is comes out sideways, I have also seen static Widney fire burners with holes burnt through them from outside when people have force lit them even with oxy Pilots they also burn out sideways through the monitoring ports, the TC has been positioned to take heat from the burner flame instead of having them serviced.
ospreycaravanparkandlpgaservices.com

blimey

just looked at the pics, that water heater looks horrific

reminds me when back boiler soot up, mainly due to lack of service of no free air vent

useto hate having to clean up a boiler that's full of soot, takes forever , especially if the baffles and heat exchanger were also full of soot

imagine like ur good self seen so many horror stories, bad installations , wiring issues causing a fire

i mainly worked on natural gas and oil

Last edited by gstuart on 13th Jul 2017 1:24 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #183627613th Jul 2017 1:07 am
gstuart

riverblanche wrote:
Hi,
it was the leisure spares on line supplier that had been suggested,
have got a price from them (near £50 Shocked ) although they Do have stock, trying to source locally as £30 seems nearer the mark?

Did ask about the Magnetic insert / solenoid (part number 500) but it is not available on its own complete gas vale only..

I don't remember hearing the "click" from setting or releasing, already took the TC off so will see when I have a new one fitted.

Gstuart, to be honest No we don't have a CO monitor in the caravan, we do have it serviced (was done this March) and they check for safe combustion, although now I have seen how the fridge is sealed combustion side to living side its a strip of foam wedged on top of the fridge and could be done better
A CO monitor is now on the shopping list.
And yes the vent is into the awning area at side of the door, although I think it would pass the ventilation = good.

I am happy dealing with gas side of things (have a background in all types of gasses) and 12V not so keen on 240v

I will update when I have a new TC to fit/try

Thumbs Up

hi

was a heating engineer for around 30 x years and just seen so many horror stories over the years , would always fit a carbon monoxide alarm near gas appliances , when i've been away borrowing my parents caravan , when the kids slept in the awning i also put one out there , better safe than sorry

even though appliances are serviced things can still go wrong and at least having the alarm gave that early warning , especially with LPG being so dangerous

really hope i didn't come across as rude in any way , good to hear ur also qualified with gas

too many diyers out there who mess around with gas appliances and nearly kill themselves or others

hope the tc fixes it Thumbs Up

i better go back in my corner now Laughing

Post #183627713th Jul 2017 1:23 am
riverblanche

Sadly its Not the Thermocouple

Hi,
had a call today the TC had landed, so had a drive over to collect it.

Sadly its Not the TC Crying or Very sad fitted the new one and nothing has changed, still does not stay lit

Sputnixb51 as you said about the solenoid setting and clicking when it releases paid more attention and No nothing.

checked the new TC with the multimeter and the probe in the flame on the hob, same value as the old one, so took the solenoid (Magnetic insert p/n 500 in the leisurespares site) out of the gas valve, held it on the end of the TC first with the insulator in between, then direct onto the TC with the probe end in the flame of the hob, the solenoid would not hold in either way.
Does that sound like it is the solenoid that's failed Question

It looks like this, 34mm long, 12.5mm widest diameter, markings are 5728/27 and orkl 1.7 Question
have had a search on tinternet and only one found up to now thats in France at 68 euros, leisurespares said not available on it own when I asked about the TC..

Your comments welcomed, back out of the corner Gstuart Thumbs Up

Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #183693914th Jul 2017 8:30 pm
sputnixb51

Should have one of those, will look In daylight tomorrow, will reply on here later in the day then PM for address etc.

Post #183697114th Jul 2017 9:44 pm
sputnixb51

Here's a 1.2 and a 1.6 the nearest I can get of the same size and make I don't know if the numbers refer to field strength or spring return strength both have been recovered from valves that were working ffd/ fsd wise but were replaced for ignition reasons worn piezo strickers or such.

Post #183708915th Jul 2017 10:31 am
riverblanche

Hi,
will drop you a PM

Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #183719015th Jul 2017 6:59 pm
sputnixb51

Hi I tested them both using the complete gas valve oxy pilot TC as seen in the vice.
Looking down the inlet in close up in your case the arrow IN port you should be able to see the spring end of the solenoid to see if your plunger is actually pushing the solenoid back in the first place.
The third photo is of a complete but basic fridge burner and gas valve, obviously without the interruption terminals and thermostat etc, you can only test the solenoid in situ by having a complete circuit i.e. The TC has to be screwed into the cap touching the solenoid top with solenoid on its seat otherwise no circuit. In your case short the two spade terminals to complete that circuit if the solenoid then doesn't set there must be a problem with the interruption circuit. If it does set with the terminals shorted but not through the fridge interruption circuit then one or other or both of these wires must have a fault or the switch itself. Hope that makes sense.

Post #183815318th Jul 2017 4:31 pm
riverblanche

Hi,
update is, the fridge is now back in place and running on gas Thumbs Up

Sputnixb51 has put up with a number of PMs from me and it turned out not to be a straightforward fix

thanks for your help Bow down
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #183912420th Jul 2017 10:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >