Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Why is remapping needed?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Pos cause so many parts fail on a D3/4, whether remapped or not. These are not the most reliable cars in the world (from my experience of running 3 D3s, other experiences may vary), how are we to know what the cause of component failure is. Take turbos, how many members of CFT (Club Fooked Turbo) have had remap and how many haven't. With so many not having had a remap failing the remap probably isn't the cause. Look at the turbo problems on D4s and there isn't a remap out yet for that.

Pays yar money and takes yar chances!

Post #62892129th Mar 2010 10:15 am
al cope

England 

I cant comment on the TDV6 tuned longevity, but on a TD5 with JE remap and larger intercooler, saw 165k miles, so tuning doesnt always mean less life, if done properly.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #62892329th Mar 2010 10:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Remapping has been done to death on this forum ....if you search back there are many many threads with detailed explanations on the pro's and con's.

Having been exceptionally sceptical at first, I finally gave it a go and had one on my last D3 .....I can say quite catagorically that yes there was impoved power and enconomy and the overall experience was excellent.

To answer a few other points,

* Yes it does affect your insurance ...though some are prepared to risk it....it's not really advisable.
* There are several site sponsors who offer remaps - all have their avid supporters, but in round about terms ...the end result will be similar.
* There is no evidence that a remap has any long lasting affect on components.....certainly in comparison to a plug in chip

Just go for it ...you won't be disappointed. Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #62892729th Mar 2010 10:24 am
jaunty6

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just found a very interesting website that answers a lot of questions in a believeable way (see http://www.ecu-remapping-service.com/faq/), and offers a remap for economy that gives some extra power and torque, and another remap to give max power & torque.

Have a look at http://www.ecu-remapping-service.com/ecotune/

Anyone used them, or know anything about them?

Your opinions, please.

Last edited by jaunty6 on 29th Mar 2010 6:48 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #62914029th Mar 2010 6:33 pm
al cope

England 

try talking to one or two of the site sponsors, there is one that's close to you Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #62914329th Mar 2010 6:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jaunty6

Has anyone else noticed how similar the hardware of Evolve and of BAS are? Pictures are in my gallery, and there is nowt else there so you will go straight to them.

There must be a reason - I think we should be told.

Anyone any experience of either (or both) of them?

Post #62927229th Mar 2010 9:31 pm
dsd1036

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'm no expert but i believe these are a generic diagnostic tool from italy that can be purchased and then you can get your own individual company logo put on it!,and obviously BAS etc offer there expertise of a remap via this unit.

nb:-to others please correct me if am wrong.

rgds

DSD

Post #6328307th Apr 2010 6:50 am
jamesbond007

Portugal 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Another element that has to be taken into account in the factory mapping I suppose is to provide the best results for the various standard tests like fuel consumption, CO2 emission and noise. These tests are done in specific conditions and manufacturers tune their vehicle to pass those tests as well as possible.
E.g. if the test is taken at 2.500 rpm, the tuning will be done to give best results at 2.500 rpm even if the engine will perform less well at 2.450 rpm or 2.550 rpm, etc....
 The older I get, the better I was.

Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto (BAS remap) after Defender TD4 110 Crew Cab and 1964 SIIA 88. 

Post #6328907th Apr 2010 9:50 am
Ken

jaunty6 wrote:
Has anyone else noticed how similar the hardware of Evolve and of BAS are? Pictures are in my gallery, and there is nowt else there so you will go straight to them.

There must be a reason - I think we should be told.

Anyone any experience of either (or both) of them?

I'm sure the software tells a different story ever noticed that a VW Crafter & Merc Sprinter look the same Thumbs Up

Post #6329117th Apr 2010 10:48 am
oddboy

United Kingdom 

Ken wrote:
[

ever noticed that a VW Crafter & Merc Sprinter look the same Thumbs Up

but both run completly different engines
 Richard
club none owner 

Post #6329157th Apr 2010 10:56 am
andycouchman

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

A map is also designed so that all engines of that type will run OK on it, regardless of the cumulative effects of tolerances on any engine's individual components.

A remap, if done well, optimises that particular engine and, as has been said elsewhere, need not take account of extremes that your car will never meet anyway.

Think of it as a personal trainer for your engine.
 Andy C  
Post #63536013th Apr 2010 3:22 pm
jaunty6

Well, I bit the bullet, went to see Peter at BAS and he did a re-map for me yesterday. To early to be sure, but it does seem to go better and on the short (20mile dual carriage way) run back home I saw an mpg of 28 indicated - never seen that before! Much lower today, of course, as around town only.

I will report back when I have used it properly and done a brim-to-brim mpg test.

Thanks to one and all for the comments and advice, although I am still not clear why it did not leave Solihul like this in the first place. Surely, if the engine map is loaded individually into each vehicle, it should be targetted for the first customer's market. Everything else is, driver side, radio, sat nav, etc.

What an informative and friendly chap Peter is, too. I learnt a lot.

Post #63545313th Apr 2010 6:59 pm
jum649

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Just got back from a busy week and a lot of motorway miles. The Bas re-map has performed superbly with loads of extra grunt when needed, but most impressively I have averaged only just under 30 mpg when I never had more than 26 before.

Wasn't going silly most of the time, just 75ish, but impressed me loads.

Post #63701216th Apr 2010 8:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >