Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

It had a wobbly again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
BN

England 
It had a wobbly again

OK, so my luck may be running out folks. I was driving along in quite serenity, thinking where the hell is that little jingling noise coming from, when I had to take the exit off the motorway. In doing so I cancelled Cruise Control to decellerate nicely up the slip road.

It did not cancell and I shot up the slip road with foot on the clutch and foot on the brake with engine about to leap out of the bonnet.

Switch off, calm down, curse switch on again and away we go as if nothing had happened.

I met Ant and as I shook hands LR called me to see if the previous defect had been sorted. They were informed in no uncertain terms of the updates. I am awaiting a reply as to why the problem.

Incidently, the jingling was my watch strap Rolling Eyes

Post #1263117th Aug 2005 3:27 pm
BN

England 

I think with an auto it would have been very interesting, posibly police and ambulance attendance.

Post #1263717th Aug 2005 4:38 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Did you not have the desire to test out an emergency stop with the handbrake Question

Glad your okay and it didn't all end in Big Cry

Si
 The End  
Post #1263917th Aug 2005 4:44 pm
BN

England 

Slimer, it is wierd, one second working fine, next 'b****y hell. There was no real emergency with my car, but it did make me think about an auto. Even the emergency brake would not help there.

I have got deeper into LR now and have put the suggestion to the technical bods about the reboot and switching on too quickly senario. They had a meeting today and it appears they hadn't thought about that problem. I was with Ant when they called me back so could not discuss too much. I will be informed of the meeting results possibly tomorrow.

Post #1264117th Aug 2005 4:52 pm
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

BN wrote:
I think with an auto it would have been very interesting, posibly police and ambulance attendance.

Do you think braking & putting it in to neutral would have stopped me then?
It may have revved the nuts off the engine, but I presume it has a rev limiter? If not I will be able to stop which is the important thing!
 Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #1264317th Aug 2005 4:58 pm
BN

England 

Nickhearne wrote:
BN wrote:

Do you think braking & putting it in to neutral would have stopped me then?
It may have revved the nuts off the engine, but I presume it has a rev limiter? If not I will be able to stop which is the important thing!

It is having the presence of mind at the time. Obviously putting the car in neautral will help, but if it is pulling it may be hard to do in an auto. I was going up the slip road and in my case it was pulling.

Obviously trying to stall the engine is an option, but it has so much torque cannot be guaranteed.

Switching off the egine via the key knocks out the power brakes, so that is dodgy. I chose to let the engine rev, then deal with it. The limiter obviously worked, but at the time, I didn't notice.

Didn't do the old ticker a lot of godd at the time.

Post #1264517th Aug 2005 5:12 pm
Nickhearne

Well glad you are OK Thumbs Up , not much chance of staling a auto ether!
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #1264817th Aug 2005 5:18 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
Switching off the egine via the key knocks out the power brakes, so that is dodgy

BN, switching off the engine will not lose the vaccum assist on the brakes, every car has to have enough of a vaccum reservoir for three presses (however hard) on the brake pedal, you will lose the ABS though. If you do switch an engine off whilst moving, make sure you don't bring the steering lock on Shocked
Glad your OK though - I bet your first words were "I doooint beleeeeve it !"
Do LR pay you for being a crash test dummy Wink
{edited to add: Is Anna after her inheritance?}

Post #1264917th Aug 2005 5:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MVS

Hope your nerves are more intact than the software.

Just a thought, could have been a :censored: if towing a 2.5 ton trailer on an A-road @ 50-60mph in traffic with no handy slip road.

Post #1265217th Aug 2005 5:25 pm
Nickhearne

MVS wrote:
Hope your nerves are more intact than the software.

Just a thought, could have been a Censored if towing a 2.5 ton trailer on an A-road @ 50-60mph in traffic with no handy slip road.

It would but I think it A roads at 50mph are not the right place for CC not with a trailer!
Censored all the same!
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #1265517th Aug 2005 5:29 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Crikey thats is worse than the occurence I had a while ago with the suspension dropped at 70 mph.

For info, you can knock the auto into neutral when moving, you have to do this to change from low to high.

A Diesel engine will not over rev. It has a governor. It sounds brutal, but it will not be damaged.

Post #1265617th Aug 2005 5:31 pm
MVS

From a safety point of view re the cruise control.

Is it computer monitored, if so surely it should default to OFF in a big way on any error/fault.

Sorry I agree CC not good for towing & would never use it personally.
Didn't see that bit me eyes are going Shocked 8)

It's old age & poverty

Post #1265817th Aug 2005 5:34 pm
BN

England 

Gareth wrote:
Crikey thats is worse than the occurence I had a while ago with the suspension dropped at 70 mph.

For info, you can knock the auto into neutral when moving, you have to do this to change from low to high.

A Diesel engine will not over rev. It has a governor. It sounds brutal, but it will not be damaged.

The biggest thing is actually getting your head around things because the engine is doing its nut. Basically I am convinced it is software again, because it is working fine now.

Changing gear under pressure, will make it very difficult to get an auto out of gear, try it. A woman of tiny stature would certainly have problems getting the thing into neautral.

Tell you what, I thought I was doing all right with only silly things, but it is like all the others, over the 5 to 6000 mile mark again.

I can see the funny side though. Sorry occifer, the cruise control stuck and thats why I passed you at 110mph.

Post #1266117th Aug 2005 5:40 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

BN wrote:
I have got deeper into LR now and have put the suggestion to the technical bods about the reboot and switching on too quickly senario.

I stalled mine yesterday (bored and being lazy in traffic, didn't notice I was in 3rd when I tried to pull away), started it again straight away with out waiting for the beep, as I pulled off I noticed the alarm/imobiliser indicator light was flashing. It continued to flash until I was able to pull over half a mile down the road and switch off and do a proper 'controlled' restart.

Has anyone else noticed this light flashing?
Was the car trying to tell me something or did I confuse it with the rapid restart?
I've always waited for the 'boing' so maybe this always happens on a quick start?

Perhaps it should prevent you from starting the engine until it's finsihed the startup sequence, but this could be potentially dangerous unless the sequence was much quicker

Si
 The End  
Post #1267717th Aug 2005 6:01 pm
BN

England 

Slimer wrote:
BN wrote:
I have got deeper into LR now and have put the suggestion to the technical bods about the reboot and switching on too quickly senario.

I stalled mine yesterday (bored and being lazy in traffic, didn't notice I was in 3rd when I tried to pull away), started it again straight away with out waiting for the beep, as I pulled off I noticed the alarm/imobiliser indicator light was flashing. It continued to flash until I was able to pull over half a mile down the road and switch off and do a proper 'controlled' restart.

Has anyone else noticed this light flashing?
Was the car trying to tell me something or did I confuse it with the rapid restart?
I've always waited for the 'boing' so maybe this always happens on a quick start?

Perhaps it should prevent you from starting the engine until it's finsihed the startup sequence, but this could be potentially dangerous unless the sequence was much quicker

Si

I spoke with LR today and the inner sanctum are having an emergency meeting about this from reports I have fed to them. I have forgotten the code, something ILLE or similar. They are worried about the slowness of the software. I think they may act a bit quick on this.

Post #1267917th Aug 2005 6:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >