Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Italy and Lake Garda next year
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

As I understood it the fine for not having a vignette was also applied if you had one but you hadn't peeled it off and stuck it onto the screen.

Once stuck they ain't coming off and certainly not able to get it off in one piece to "pass it on to someone else"

Post #197449416th Aug 2018 9:56 am
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Dunno about Switzerland, but the Austrian one are like that. Once on you can't remove them in one piece.

Post #197450216th Aug 2018 10:25 am
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

M3DPO wrote:
What you need to be aware of with Switzerland is they don’t particularly like caravans, some of their A roads with tunnels probably only 4 Meters high by 4 meters wide are equal to our B roads, some roads do not allow caravans, some of their “caravan sites are in front gardens and only take 4/5 caravans, the price of food particularly meat is scandalous (we went veggie for 10 days), you have to “tax” your car and caravan for a year just to pass through, this can be done at the border and is a sticker you put in the window, very heavy fine and /or confiscation if you don’t.
Apart from that it is a fabulous place, we stayed on a large site set in parkland on the edge of Lake Geneva at Lausanne, can’t recommend it enough. We travelled down through Germany.
We have been to lake Garda many times but not with the ‘van.

We go to Switzerland nearly every year and the above is not a good recommendation. We have had 8m Motor-home and no issues staying and driving in the Mountainous areas and the Lake areas. No problems whatsoever including the long tunnels and the food is great IMHO. We have found the people to be very nice too. We also use it as a route to the Italian Lakes & Beaches. Always pay for the Vignette sticker and simply enjoy a very beautiful country. Thumbs Up

Post #197451216th Aug 2018 11:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackdog1

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

astonbuilder wrote:
As I understood it the fine for not having a vignette was also applied if you had one but you hadn't peeled it off and stuck it onto the screen.

Once stuck they ain't coming off and certainly not able to get it off in one piece to "pass it on to someone else"
It comes off if you know how , Thumbs Up  
Post #197459116th Aug 2018 4:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Started to read the post and then thought that after doing lake Garda for the last ten years and the research that went into to it we found a campsite called camping fornella and their pitches range in size and price, so the super pitches are best for twin axle caravans, best way to book is directly with the site, there’s plenty to go and see we drove down to Venice, but you can go by coach or train, we also take a inflatable boat and outboard with us as you can go and visit different parts of the lake , we go through Switzerland but don’t pay any other toll charges until Italy hope this helps

Post #197817027th Aug 2018 6:46 pm
dunton10

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Al
Ive sent you a PM with a word document. May be useful for research

Cheers
Steve
 Currently 2015 D4 SE Tech, Corris Grey
RLD Protector, led interior lights, timed climate, towing equipment
Previously
2006 D3 S
2001 TD5
1996 Shogun LWB
1989 Range Rover TDVM 

Post #197862928th Aug 2018 11:23 pm
al cope

England 

Hi Steve - yes, just read it. Some very usefull info, many thanks.

Mrs C threw a possible small spanner in the works - wonder what the dover calais crosing might be like in the first summer post Brexit?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #197867229th Aug 2018 7:31 am
stephenw46

Well we are taking Tim hut to Croatia and Italy next year they need the British holiday maker or they looseto much money

Post #197889829th Aug 2018 6:52 pm
dunton10

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Agree s46
We went to France before the common market and I’m sure not much will change post Brexit. Will be interesting though.

We were in Provence on the day of the out vote and a Dutchman politely told me to get out of the washing up facility as we had voted out. Well not to politely really.
I told him we were lucky to get a vote and perhaps if his government did the same perhaps Holland would reach a similar decision.
The majority of French and dutch campers weren’t That bothered. They understood that at the end of the day we had caravanning/ camping in common and would continue to tour in a friendly manner.
There were only 6 English units on site. 5 voted leave and one ( from London area) remain.
I thought that was strange given that the couples there were all European travellors, perhaps has something to do with age. We could all remember what it was like pre EU and almost exclusively said we voted for common market.
 Currently 2015 D4 SE Tech, Corris Grey
RLD Protector, led interior lights, timed climate, towing equipment
Previously
2006 D3 S
2001 TD5
1996 Shogun LWB
1989 Range Rover TDVM 

Post #197896929th Aug 2018 10:06 pm
al cope

England 

its not the EU after brexit that Mrs C commented about, more wondering if the M20 & Dover might be a carpark. Dont want to start hols with massive delays.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #197904230th Aug 2018 7:55 am
stephenw46

Well you don’t need Brexit for delays the bone idol French always cause ques , but with Brexit they will be in France not the uk and they won’t cause themselves any issues or their country, we are in the process of booking our Croatia holiday May into June and Italy September can’t wait

Post #198766829th Sep 2018 9:18 pm
nrich

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Buy a Swiss vignette they are only £35 very cheap considering to travel down through France with Telepeage cost £85 one way 44 euro to travel form France to Italy through an 8 mile tunnel and Italian tolls are very expensive too, Worth it though as the roads are ten times better than ours.

Post #198772330th Sep 2018 8:18 am
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Just got back from a month Belgium-Germany-Austria-Italy-France.

At the Germany-Austria, Austria-Italy and Italy-France borders there were long queues going northbound. All HGVs and a high proportion of other vehicles were being stopped. I reckon the Italy-Austria and Italy-France borders had 3-4 mile queues of HGVs ! We were stopped coming North through the Mont Blanc tunnel and quizzed. It was customs (douane) doing it all. Interestingly, we also saw quite a few customs vehicles in France, not near any border, who seemd to be randomly pulling over HGVs.

Coming North up to Calais we noticed at Aire du Rely (60km South) there was now no HGV parking allowed and outside the fence we spotted several groups of 2-3 African-looking men just wandering around, we think trying to find a way in. The 2 aires North of this one were totally closed ...

It looks as if France, at least, is finally getting a grip on the illegal immigrant issue ...

(Funnily enough the trip through the Chunnel (in both directions) was very quick and efficient, no holdups for us though we noticed that some HGVs were being intensively searched).

Post #198772530th Sep 2018 8:21 am
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Al I have some Books on Campsites in Europe and one on France specifically, if you pm me your address I will send them too you if you like Thumbs Up
 The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the best of everything they have. 

Post #198777830th Sep 2018 2:01 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I’ve done lake Garda several times with the tin tent or the Rib stayed http://www.campingsanfrancesco.com
Drove down through Germany
This year we did lake Maggiore which we liked better than Garda https://www.campingsolcio.it/en/index.php did the Gothard tunnel this time and bought shares in the Swiss roads Rolling Eyes

Post #19881521st Oct 2018 9:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >