Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

It’s going to be a bad winter …..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

JordsDisco wrote:

And there are moves afoot to limit the use of inappropriate wood burning fires. From 1st May this year the following applies:
Quote:
The restrictions that start from today mean that:

Sales of bagged traditional house coal and wet wood in units under 2m3 are now unlawful.

Wet wood in larger volumes must be sold with advice on how to dry it before burning.

All manufactured solid fuels must now have a low sulphur content and only emit a small amount of smoke.

In addition, a new certification scheme will see products certified and labelled by suppliers to ensure that they can be easily identified, and retail outlets will only able to sell fuel that is accompanied by the correct label.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/restric...ning-begin

Thing is, only an idiot (or someone desperate for some warmth) tried to burn wood that isn't nice and dry. You get much less heat from it and it ends up gumming up your flue. I suppose if someone that just has such a fire to show off when friends come round for a G&T, then maybe they won't know the difference. But anyone that uses a wood burner seriously knows full well that you want good dry wood.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #225685513th Oct 2021 3:48 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

That wood is so dry a blindfolded James Bond would thinks it’s a Martini. Thumbs Up

Post #225686013th Oct 2021 4:39 pm
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Hey, I am not knocking anyone, but I do think we all have to look at the way we live presently as it’s not sustainable.

Major changes have to be made by everyone.

I was in the group that thought what difference am I going to make? singularly absolutely none, but if everyone thinks that then we are well and truly screwed.

I do think we are storing up problems for our kids and their kids and we all have to take responsibility for our actions. It’s the best we can do despite my forecast it’s too late for the planet and the people.

Post #225686113th Oct 2021 4:41 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

It’s a choice of burning wood, coal or oil to keep warm for us, usually a combo of all 3. Gas is probably more greenie friendly but that’s not an option unless someone puts a gas mains through our town and connect us up. Whistle Whistle

Post #225686213th Oct 2021 4:53 pm
JordsDisco

Just wear another jumper. Thumbs Up

On a serious note, the kids moan about the house being cold wandering around in a T shirt and shorts, no socks. What they heck do they expect? They leave their over blankets on, computers on, lights on. Yet they come home from school with a myriad of ideas on what others should do to reduce their carbon foot print.

I keep reminding them, its their responsibility too and it’s their future rather than mine.

Even in my lifetime or take the last 10 years, the climates changed and not for the better.

2020, I recall digging snow to get the car out. It wasn’t unusual. Now I can’t remember anytime in the last few years where we’ve had much snow at all. It’s all down to global warming. I bet most on here have seen a change too.

Post #225686313th Oct 2021 5:18 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Same for me, where I live there isn't an option to have gas, not enough space for solar panels (they wouldn't allow them anyway as the house is too old) and unless someone wants to cover the cost of drilling a geothermal well it's not going to change.

The air quality here is far far better than anywhere down south, and I certainly don't know when my neighbours have their fire lit and they can't see or smell mine, mainly due to using kiln dried wood and proper coal.

I think the article is highly biased as it fails to say that by burning wood these folks are not burning gas or other fossil fuels... (if they are using it for heat), if a coal or wood fire burns properly (hot) then there is very little smoke and very little ash... anything else is just for show !

Anyway I'm off to light the Aga so the kitchen will be warm next month ! Laughing
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #225686513th Oct 2021 5:24 pm
JordsDisco

I liked our Aga too, it had a soothing sound when it kicked in, but a more inefficient means of heating you’d be hard pushed to find. I took the plunge and got rid and replaced it with something more efficient. Far more room in the kitchen too.

Post #225686613th Oct 2021 5:30 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Likewise a 250 year old house with no mains gas to the village. It's oil for hot water and radiators running on a modest 17°C topped up by a log burner for 3 hours in the evening from October to early March.

The Rural Disneyfication Brigade at the local planning department won't allow solar, despite a whopping south facing roof, and with a mix of stone, concrete and suspended timber over earth flooring on the ground floor, replacing it with the current generation of GSHP is going to be a bit of a challenge, but we keep eyeing it up as the market develops/matures.

The air quality criticism holds validity in towns, but with not a soul living within 1.5 miles downwind of my chimney, that's not a criticism I'm going to take on the chin. When you do arrive at the next centre of population in that direction, it's an army garrison, home of the Royal Tank Corps and, well, let's just say that a Challenger 2 puts out a bit more guff than my log burner Laughing
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #225686813th Oct 2021 5:41 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
It’s going to be a bad winter …..

DSL wrote:
……. I can feel it in my bones!

This sounds like the prediction of the bad winter from 09/10.

https://www.disco4.com/forum/topic42668.html

But you’re alright Del …….. everyone thought I was daft too. Wink

Laughing
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #225688313th Oct 2021 7:49 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Ah, the winter from hell. Deffo don’t want that again, only just getting over that one. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

Though ISTR this pic was the year before. Whistle

Post #225688413th Oct 2021 7:54 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Turns out the Rowans are wrong.

Government says so. When would the ever lie to us ?

The Telegraph wrote:

Mild winter could protect households from soaring energy bills, says Kwasi Kwarteng
Christopher Hope 11 hrs ago

Kwasi Kwarteng has told energy bosses that Britain's mild winter could protect households from rising energy bills.

Post #225707815th Oct 2021 6:37 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

He's not lying. He said "could", not "will"
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #225711415th Oct 2021 9:06 am
SN

DSL wrote:
Ah, the winter from hell. Deffo don’t want that again, only just getting over that one. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

Though ISTR this pic was the year before. Whistle

That's the baby!!!!!
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #225711615th Oct 2021 9:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It’s that time of the year again Whistle Plenty of snow during a few nights.

Click image to enlarge

Post #22772335th Feb 2022 2:18 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Not quite up to Helsinki amounts of snow but a bit of a light dusting up in The Heelands overnight & through the day. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #22774716th Feb 2022 12:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >