Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Its a sad question I know
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
hughesajc

Its a sad question I know

Hiya everyone

I know this is a bit of a sad question anyway but here goes....Will hopefully be ordering new HSE on Thurs and just want a bit more advice on the spec.It seems that most people agree side strips are important to protect the car,but I dont think they do much to help visually.We are going to have side steps so the kids can get in easily.One suggestion mooted was to increase the ride height once the car is parked so doors and trolleys etc would bash into the side steps and not the paintwork.In the real world though is it just the flick of a switch to alter the height ? If my wife turns up back at the car with bags of shopping and 2 screaming kids (which is normal) it will be awkward (bearing in mind she isn't tall anyway) to lean in to a raised car and keep her hands on the switch for 15 secs etc while the ride height is lowered so they all clamber in.Is it just a case of her leaning in and flicking the switch once and do the keys have to be in the ignition?Its a sad question I know but any comments would be welcome and also on the sidestrips and and sidesteps,

Thanks in anticipation guys and cheers for all the earlier tips.Its a great website !!

Tony

Post #10537128th Nov 2006 3:13 pm
catweasel

to raise you leave the motor running, fick the switch twice (assuming you're in access hieght) open the door,exit then shut the door and watch it raise then turn off the motor and remove the key. I'm not sure about lowering though I have lowered mine with the engine off but not after being off for a long period of time and not from offroad height.

Post #10537228th Nov 2006 3:18 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yes the keys have to be in the ignition and the doors have to be closed before it will lower - so in reality its too awkward to do when returning to your car in a car park. Just leave it at off-road height, load up and pile in and then drive off. The side steps make it easy at any height. The car lowers my itself once your speed increases.

I think the side steps are great. They're very useful when parking in tight spaces as you can walk down the side of the car on the steps which aid getting in and out when you can't open the door very far.

However, they are a pain when off-roading as the limit the depth of rut you can drive in.
 Matt  
Post #10537328th Nov 2006 3:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hughesajc

Thanks !! Do you think the car raised with side steps on would protect against doors and shopping trolleys etc ?

Post #10537428th Nov 2006 3:22 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

hughesajc wrote:
Thanks !! Do you think the car raised with side steps on would protect against doors and shopping trolleys etc ?

Definitely does.
 Matt  
Post #10537528th Nov 2006 3:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hughesajc

Thanks Mate

Post #10537628th Nov 2006 3:24 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

In the real world you'll stop worrying about the 'ding' potential within a few weeks. If its going to happen it will happen Very Happy

I had a D2 with side strips and steps and someone ran a trolley into the side of it after 2 days of ownership causing £300 worth of damage. My recommendation is to enjoy the motor and use it to it's full potential by coming off road on one of our jaunts...after a few 6ft long scratches you'll be fine Shocked Laughing

Ask yourself whats the worst that can happen...if you have to spend a few hundred pounds covering scratches and dings at trade in time ..then so be it. Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 28th Nov 2006 3:39 pm. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #10537728th Nov 2006 3:30 pm
catweasel

I personally object to some ignoramus putting dings or scratches in it and would be ticked off but getting it scratched when it's doing what it was bought for is easier to bear IMO and it's usually the tossers who reverse into you and then drive off that do the most and costly damage anyway ( in my experience Crying or Very sad )

Post #10537828th Nov 2006 3:35 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yep, i'd agree with that, traded mine in with a couple of 300mm long scratches down to the basecoat and quite a few scuffmarks in the laquer - no dents though 8)
Pre - trade in the LR approved bodyshop quoted me £1500 to return it to it's previous glory (note this is one side of the car only - the two deep scratches were on one door only), the dealer didn't seem concerned at all and told me not to worry about it as they wouldn't deduct anything off it's value Shocked They also said that if I did want it doing pre-trade in - this was 3 months before the expected delivery date-, they would only charge £2-300 tops. They were however, going to deduct £1k for the scratched alloys until I pointed out I still had the 'for best' set at home with the original tyres on... 8)

Post #10537928th Nov 2006 3:40 pm
nobbyclark

Apart from the fact that sometimes the car will drop its height when the doors are locked, all of its own accord.

I would go for the side-strips - and indeed will be fitting mine this weekend if it stops blinkin' Censored ing down.
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #10565229th Nov 2006 2:31 pm
catweasel

feel free to post some of that rain please.

Post #10565429th Nov 2006 2:34 pm
hughesajc

Yeah may well do thanks.Any other tips for speccing the car up ?

Post #10565529th Nov 2006 2:34 pm
LandRoverStormer

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

What about setting the 'Land Rover' button on the key to raise and lower. Still a pain in the ar$e, but at least all you need to do to lower it when loading shopping etc is to open the door, lean in, press the hazzard switch, shut the door and hold the two buttons.

Anyway, I'd not bother with either and try to park as far away from anything as possible! Wink
 D4 3.0 GS Auto due in July
Santorini Black, Ebony Leather, Xenons, Grand Black Wood, 20" Alloys, Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, Bright Pack, Carpet Mats, Black Tubes, Rossen Rear Entertainment, TomTom XL 

Post #10569429th Nov 2006 5:15 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

catweasel wrote:
feel free to post some of that rain please.

Sorry, we need it for our mud. Your dust will just have to stay dry! Laughing Laughing Wink

Post #10570529th Nov 2006 5:35 pm
Ian 2206

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Speccing

I ordered my HSE on Saturday.....I opted for Stornoway grey, privacy glass-factory fitted-side steps, body side mouldings without the bright inserts and a set of premium carpet mats. The essential is that it will be a '07 model year car. the dealer has located the vehicle and tells me I should be able to accept it next week...so less than 2 weeks from order to delivery. Not bd? Too good to be true? I'll let you know.
I've this afternoon printed from the web all the vehicle Satnav/ICE and operations manuals. What a weighty tome to read tonight.
Excited..me, rather.

Post #10571029th Nov 2006 6:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >