DISCO4.COM > General

it's a small, small world (paging JZK)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mark D

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
it's a small, small world (paging JZK)

Dear JZK and Gang,

I've got an "it's a small world" story for ya'll. First, please indulge me for a little bit of background on me and my family as it may make the story I'm about to tell a little less wierd.

We love Land Rovers and use them to hunt, fish, camp, and run from hurricanes. My kids are particularly fond of LRs. However, they don't call them "Land Rovers", they call them "hornets" which I realize is wierd, but it dates back to me having called my first LR "the Brown Hornet" (an ode to the African-American superhero from the Fat Albert TV Show of the 1970's and to the fact that the vehicle was brown). I have always named each of our Rovers and every subsequent LR has had the suffix "hornet" attached to it - my current LR (a 2000 model RR) is affectionately called the "Green Hornet" by my two kids (ages 6 and 4). My wife also likes the "hornet" designation as it sounds much less pretentious having a 4 year old say "look at that hornet" rather than "look at that Land Rover".

Anyway, I've been frequenting this board and others as I have decided to replace my current LR with an LR3 in the near future. We're currently on vacation, and I've been discussing this new acquisition with my wife as we've had a lot of time together in the car. Yesterday, while driving back from Orlando (and not in our RR), my wife was using my laptop and noticed a Windows media file called "Lion's Back crash". I was driving, but I told her to watch the video (which many of you have probably seen) of an old Chevy Blazer going down the Lion's Back in Moab, Utah. The Blazer loses it's brakes and plummets down the hill in a very dramatic and frightening crash. My wife was sufficiently impressed and, of course, thought it nuts that someone would drive down something that scary and dangerous (she doesn't exactly share my zeel for off-road stuff). I informed her that one of the guys in an LR3 forum had driven his LR3 down Lion's Back without event (a reference to JZK).

Well, about 30 minutes later, we're waiting in line for a toll booth on the Florida Turnpike when my little girl blurts out "look at that red hornet". In the lane next to us was a motorhome with a red LR3 trailored behind it. A conversation with my wife insued about how "hornets" have to be trailored rather than towed (something we're both well aware of as we've trailored our "hornets" at various times).

Then, after several minutes of waiting in line and pondering just what it was about the LR transmission that made it un-towable, it dawned on me....... that motorhome in the adjacent lane with the red, trailored LR3 looked familiar, and I thought I'd seen JZK with a motorhome in some of his photos. I backed-up and looked at the license plates and they were Illinois plates.

In other words, 30 minutes after I'd referenced JZK, I think I saw him on the highway!

JZK was that you? If so, what a small world.

Happy New Year to all,
Mark D
Mobile, Alabama

Post #3542231st Dec 2005 4:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >