Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Jack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

NoDo$h - OK I'll talk to Slimer at the next SE meet
Can't understand that they rate the Draper @3000kg so why it doesn't lift a car that weighs less *puzzled*

Post #21508514th Oct 2007 9:12 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

If you get him to bring it along we can try it out in the car park of the fairmile as I'm planning on coming along this month. I'll use my Takla on mine and you can use the Draper on yours. Could be interesting......

It's the size that's the problem. The Takla, when inflated, is about 1.30m, whereas the Draper is 0.545m. I haven't used the Draper, but remember you have to have your engine running when using it so your suspension will go into extended mode and the cross-axle valve will drop the wheel you're lifting even further as the opposite wheel is compressed, so I don't think you'll get the wheel off the ground. Be interesting to find out though Smile
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #21513314th Oct 2007 10:56 pm
stevo68

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hmm Subject familiar to this boy, here is a thread from another forum I am with:

Quote:
G'day All,

Here's an excerpt from a trip to Coffs on the weekend

Quote:
I have to give a huge shoutout to Bolts for saving mine and the families bacon on the way home. I had a flat and pulled into a rest stop and told Mick and Bolts to keeping going. Well what should have been a reasonably simple situation went pear shaped. The D3 went to extended height and I couldnt bring it back down, the jack wouldnt turn any further and I couldnt get the wheel on. So I got a hold of Mick and Bolts and thankfully albeit and hour away, Bolts came back to save the day. Hearing that SA accent on the UHF for once was music to the ears . However in between Bolts getting there the jack crapped itself and D3 plummeted to the ground, door handle wacking me in the head nailing the sunnies, luckily I had a spare under the rear bar that prevented worse carnage, even if the brake drum had ploughed into the gravel. Thankfully a cuppla grey nomads camping near by, one with a D1, lent me their bottle jack to take off the pressure. Once Bolts was there, we got the tyre on and even though the plate behind the disc was...well bent and making a scratchy sound off we went. Whooo hooo on the way home now..................NOT

Went to the dealers today as car was making an awful racket ( turns out to be a stone caught between disc and protection plate). Spoke in length with dealer in the jack and how bloody dangerous it was and that it was the same jack in our XR6, ie a huge difference in weight and length it has to be pumped up too. THey are going to lodge a fault with LRA and sort out the damage to vehicle, at this stage not to bad. Thought I would suggest that perhaps ( like myself) investing in a more suitable jack.

Regards

Stevo
 2005 D3 HSE V8, General Tire AT2 255/55/R18, Kaymar Rear Bar and Wheel Carrier
Off Road: http://server1.pictiger.com/albums/563/ormeau-hills/ 

Post #21515615th Oct 2007 7:12 am
paul hotham

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
scissor jack

i had the same problem with scissor jack threads went and car dropped good job i had the spare wheel on got it changed under warranty stil dont trust it Sad

Post #22879428th Nov 2007 5:25 am
garryc

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Jack

We had a club members jack twist and collapse and in a magazine road test the wheel brace broke. I now carry a telescopic socket handle and a 22mm(I think) socket. I also have a 20ton hydraulic jack to use instead of the scissor jack. It is the only one I could find to give the required lift. We also found on a desert trip that a small bottle jack, additionally, under the wishbone could also help when refitting the wheel. I would have thought that Ford had enough Class Actions against them without issuing a jack that might injure or kill people Shocked
 2013 D4, E-diff, Vision pack

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #22882328th Nov 2007 10:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >