Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Jacking height
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

But you're not. You're jacking one wishbone by just enough to get that wheel a couple of inches off the ground. The car doesn't move or lift at all.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #27821827th Mar 2008 3:16 pm
SN

iconix wrote:
Just bought this SIP 3 ton one on eBay for £45 & £15 P&P. Very heavy, but has a solid rubber mounting pad - anyone know how good these are?

Hmmm - it would appear that's what I bought at CostCo in December.... Confused

Click image to enlarge

Not ACTUALLY tried it yet Embarassed
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #27821927th Mar 2008 3:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

NoDo$h wrote:
But you're not. You're jacking one wishbone by just enough to get that wheel a couple of inches off the ground. The car doesn't move or lift at all.

But the weight of that corner of the D3 is being held... so still pretty heavy for that amount of metal ?

Or am I being a silly Censored ?

Post #27824427th Mar 2008 4:01 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

If we were to presume each wheel carries an equal amount of weight then we're looking at about .7t per corner. All well within the capacity of the jacks, but is it within the ability of the wishbones? I would think yes, as the cars bottom out from time to time and I've yet to see a crushed wishbone while offroading.

I take on board the concerns about locating the jack carefully, but that applies no matter what you jack with or where. I also understand people not being keen on doing this, but personally I'm happy to jack at the wishbones where I'm only raising the wheel by an inch or so. To minimise movement I do this with the vehicle in access height with the tailgate or a door open and the key out of the ignition. Wouldn't be keen on doing it with the car at normal or offroad heights as there is more scope for the wishbone to move, and would only do it on sound, level ground.

Horses for courses. Silver or Black? Tinted or plain? 17s or 19s? Auto or Manual?

There are safety implications if you get it wrong and I wouldn't be too keen on someone who's never lifted a D3 with the normal jack rushing out with a handful of coins and trying this with the first trolley jack they've ever used. But if you've jacked cars of all shapes and sizes by various means in the past and are familiar and comforable with trolley jacks then why not? I only use this approach when changing wheels and certainly wouldn't use it when looking to work under the car for any reason. That's when the takla and axle stands come out.

Confession time. Having rolled my car off an airjack last year because I didn't adequately chock the wheels Embarassed I know I'm no paragon of Health and Safety best practice, so my decision to use this method of lifting shouldn't be taken as any kind of recommendation for others to do it.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #27827027th Mar 2008 4:55 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The concave spot on the wishbone if strong enough could be a good trolley jack location .
Click image to enlarge

A domed ( semi spherical ) piece of steel welded to the trolley jack pad could use this as a location, the shape will allow rotation of the wishbone as it is lifted - good or bad idea ?

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #27844027th Mar 2008 10:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Popelka

Czech Republic 

Quote:
If we were to presume each wheel carries an equal amount of weight then we're looking at about .7t per corner. All well within the capacity of the jacks, but is it within the ability of the wishbones? I would think yes, as the cars bottom out from time to time and I've yet to see a crushed wishbone while offroading.

following on from this surely if using the wishbone as the lift point you would only be replacing the support the wheel gives; with the jack (which ever used).
The car sit on 4xwheels so the weight and stress of 2.7T is still shared across 4xpoints. and if it's just for wheel changes couldnt do harm, any other type of work would of coarse need consideration how individuals approach what ever they are trying to do.

Embarassed sorry I'll go fix my skoda Embarassed
Off Topic I have 4x4 diesel car and last winter managed to ram it up onto a small snowdift, when I tried to reverse one of the back wheels just span the power away. would it have been possible to use handbrake to lock the rear wheels and use the power thru the front wheels?? Rolling Eyes
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #32680129th Jul 2008 4:36 pm
Mr.Hamster

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Post #3279582nd Aug 2008 9:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >