Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Jag F Pace towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
al cope

England 
Jag F Pace towing

Anyone any experience or freinds/colleagues towing with a F Pace 240bhp AWD.

From the Jag webpage it gives weights "from" 1760kg and up to 2380kg (which is likely to be the 3Ltr V6 diesel)

Its the F Pace R Sport 240 AWD I am interested in, and its kerbweight.

Thanks
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #199096811th Oct 2018 3:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I’ve seen plenty of F Paces on caravan sites, obviously having towed a caravan there. I should think it would be a good tow car, but probably not great like a D3/4.

Post #199098611th Oct 2018 3:58 pm
al cope

England 

Me too Gareth, but all with quite "gentile" (shall we say) couples with smaller 'vans than mine (at 1800kg, 2.5Mtr wide, 8Mtr long), so trying to see if one would be up to towing a bigger unit.

Its going to be hard moving away from D3/D4 after 13 years of towing with these (if thats what I end up doing)

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #199098911th Oct 2018 4:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Washwipe

England 

Have you tried what tow car, I’ve had a quick look but they don’t show the R but the ones I did look both a 2.0 and a 3.0 and the towing weights were very similar.

Post #199099411th Oct 2018 4:25 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think the towing weights are not so much determined by engine power, more likely the kerb weight and probably some other factors, by the manufacturer.

This explains it better than I can. Thumbs Up

https://ntta.co.uk/safe-legal-towing/calcu...-capacity/

Post #199099511th Oct 2018 4:32 pm
al cope

England 

Thats why it was the kerbweight I was after, BHP and Torque are good to have but not the important bit.

I hadnt tried that site, but just have - seems to say 86% ratio, so a decent enough match, but nowhere close to the D4 as a perfect match at 61% ratio with my current 'van.

It even came up with this warning:

Attention: This car can easily drive much faster with the caravan than is safe. So always keep an eye on your speed!

Bow down Bow down

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #199099911th Oct 2018 4:37 pm
Pelyma

England 

Yep I think many have been there Laughing Up hill is always the measure in my book if you can keep going well up hill you've a great tow car. The number of times I've had Mondeos or Vectras overtake me and then you get to a hill.....
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #199101611th Oct 2018 5:23 pm
biztechrx

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Towing Vehicles should have REAL frames, no unibody IMO.
Getting harder to find this side of the pond.
Love my LR3 for Towing and Jaguar XF for fast fun!

1360 Kg / 3500 kg = 39% in my case.

2008 Land Rover LR3 SE 4.4L
2010 Jaguar XF 4.2L
2019 No Boundaries 16.5 Off Road Trailer (Caravan) 

Post #199102311th Oct 2018 6:13 pm
Leesbay

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Just changed van to a twin axle superstorm from a large heavy single axle lunar lexon. Looking at upgrading towcar to a newer model but have found very few vehicles that can handle the weight ratio for towing safely. Contenders seem to be all 4x4 big boys including Disco3/4 merc Gl/Ml, xc90, shogun, land cruiser and my current vehicle a touareg.
The touareg is rated same as D3/4 at 3.5t and i can say it tows better than any green oval ive had to date surprisingly. Saying that if a nice D4 comes up at the right price, i would still favour that for everyday use and towing
 ....................................................................................................

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what she thinks I paid for them, you lot are gonna get some bargains! 

Post #199102911th Oct 2018 6:34 pm
Pelyma

England 

Might I add Cayenne 4.2 diesel to your list. Whistle
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #199104411th Oct 2018 7:03 pm
al cope

England 

Hmm, ideally I wouldnt mind something a touch smaller than the D4 now that the kids have all flown the nest, dont really like D Sport or D5, which is why my question about the F-Pace - or it could be the dark side and go Volvo.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #199114812th Oct 2018 8:48 am
dunton10

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Al
If you recall I went through a similar thought process 12m ago.
I downsized from a twin axle Elddis crusader to a single axle coachman vip, the intention being when I came to change my D3 I could consider a smaller tow car. Having looked at and tried a few however I ended up with my current D4, even though I have had 4 LR tow cars and fancied a change.
I’ve since gone back to a twin swift elegance similar weights to you. I’m also still thinking with kids gone I don’t need such a big towcar but I do need the kerb weight to keep everything stable.
I take it you don’t fancy a D5 then? Neither do I. Can’t justify the price and I think the component quality is going down in an effort to drive down costs. I suppose my requirements are heavy enough, powerful enough, reasonable cost and reliable.

Another thing to take into account is what’s going to happen to diesel cars but that’s another discussion. You have to be mindful though that the government could start sanctions against diesel vehicles eg by making road tax prohibitive. We could end up losing a large chunk of money if the bottom drops out of part ex values.

So, I’ll be watching your search with interest. Personally, I’m thinking Touareg, the new model is very nice, but haven’t test driven yet, Volvo XC90 (60 not heavy enough), Hyundai Santa Fe. Or a bit left field a pick up, Nissan or VW Amarok. (Heavy but reasonable price).
What stopped me having a XC90 last time was there were no discounts it had just come out and was expensive. I’m also concerned about the four cylinder 2.0 litre and reports about road and engine noise. Looks fantastic though.

I’ll watch this thread carefully.
Steve
 Currently 2015 D4 SE Tech, Corris Grey
RLD Protector, led interior lights, timed climate, towing equipment
Previously
2006 D3 S
2001 TD5
1996 Shogun LWB
1989 Range Rover TDVM 

Post #199120212th Oct 2018 12:53 pm
al cope

England 

think we can get a deal on 2 F-Paces Steve ? Whistle

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #199120512th Oct 2018 1:01 pm
Billy B

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Towing with an F pace

Hi,

I purchased a F pace 2lt 250 AWD earlier this year after being offered a deal on my Disco 4 lux that I could not refuse.
I tow a Buccaneer Fluyt tin tent 1800 kg. Three trips done so far this year and found it as good on the tarmac as the Disco. The suspension on the f/p is a lot firmer being conventional springs. In fact I would go as far to say it towed better than the Disco. It’s a very quick and responsive suv, comfy and quiet. At first I was very reluctant to change vehicles as my Disco was fantastic. I was finding it hard to match it, but took the plunge and bought the f pace, I must say it has grown on me and now very impressed with its performance towing and solo. I went for quite a basic one, not to many toys as I found with the Disco I hardly used them, waste of money and more to go wrong.

Nothing is foolproof as the ingenuity of fools is endless.

2012 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury 

Post #199130012th Oct 2018 6:45 pm
al cope

England 

OK thanks - Think I will sort a test drive

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #199187115th Oct 2018 7:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >