DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

JLR SDD Diagnostics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
arthurdent

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
JLR SDD Diagnostics

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the JLR SSD Mongoose kit?

[url]https://www.jlridssddmongoose.com/land-rover-diagnostics-programmings-vcm-vci/land-rover-discovery-3-l319/discovery-3-l319-2006-2009-land-rover-diagnostics-ids-sdd-jlr-kit/ [/url]

I know many folk use the GAP IID with good results, but it's out of my price range. So after a lot of digging around, I came accross the link above.

Seems too good to be true! Is it?

I've just purchased a 2006 disco 3 S, ...with one key..., and this seems like a good option to be able to see what's going on AND program a second key. It seems I could do this for ~£200.

Am I missing something?

Your thoughts would be welcomed.

Cheers.

Post #209895111th Nov 2019 10:31 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Use it at your own risk...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #209896311th Nov 2019 12:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
arthurdent

Shocked is it that bad? Comes accross as genuine, uk based. JLR approved.

Do you know of others with experience of it?

Post #209896511th Nov 2019 12:27 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

A genuine VCI costs best part of £1k
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #209897111th Nov 2019 12:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Plus it has quite a big learning curve as well, its not worth it unless you know what your doing with it and the car, DM is spot on with his view.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #209897211th Nov 2019 12:54 pm
arthurdent

Ok, thanks for your replies guys. Thought it seemed too good to be true! Crying or Very sad

Any advice on best method to obtain a spare key? I have had a quote for ~£200, and they say they can come to me and do it. But a bit pricey.

Post #209897311th Nov 2019 1:02 pm
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

so you say the GAP IID is too pricy and yet you're talking about paying £200 for a key coding? Take that money, put it towards the IID, get yourself a cheap key off Ebay and then code it with your IID. There, you've saved half the IID cost. Now find one more thing to fix/update/calibrate and you've paid for the other half. From then on you're quids in. Remember you can also sell it if you move the car on recouping some of the outlay. It's a no brainier really.

Post #209899711th Nov 2019 2:11 pm
arthurdent

Yeh, it's too pricey, and so is the key at £200!!! Which is why I was hoping the kit I saw would tick all boxes...diagnostics AND blank key for £200! But, yes I agree with your point. If it's a rip off of the real deal, then not worth the risk. Guess I'll have to get saving, I have only seen good words about the GAP IID. Not seen anything about the kit I mentioned above.

Cheers,

Post #209901111th Nov 2019 3:58 pm
jenseneverest

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

i nearly bought the dodgy software myself, cant justify 400 quid on a code reader, it is stupid money.
Yes i know the gap device is more than just a code reader, but im not interested in most of what it dose.
The fact it is locked to a VIN and you have to spend yet more to use other vehicles really grinds on me too.

Im waiting on a 50 quid blue-tooth device that is meant to be able to reprogram keys. I only really want to read codes, reset codes, check live data and reset EPB / ABS if required.
For that money im not holding my breath, but will post full details if it dose in fact work when in hand.

Post #209902011th Nov 2019 4:41 pm
arthurdent

I'm intrigued, I am of similar thinking on the GAP IID. I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with it. Please do keep us posted, and if you would send any links to check it out that would be appreciated.

Post #209902911th Nov 2019 4:59 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

It's not genuine.
Programming subs for SDD, after buying the hardware is £1293.60 per year.
Then you have to become accredited for security for key programming & security access which involves more money & public liability insurance etc.

Topix is £2408.40 on top per year

regards
Steve

Post #209905211th Nov 2019 6:38 pm
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

arthurdent wrote:
Yeh, it's too pricey, and so is the key at £200!!! Which is why I was hoping the kit I saw would tick all boxes...diagnostics AND blank key for £200! But, yes I agree with your point. If it's a rip off of the real deal, then not worth the risk. Guess I'll have to get saving, I have only seen good words about the GAP IID. Not seen anything about the kit I mentioned above.

Cheers,

Coding the key is half the battle.

If the key itself if uncut, you might struggle to find anywhere to cut it for you.

when I bought my D3, previous owner had an uncoded/uncut ebay key he passed along. I got it coded easily enough with a IID tool - best £400 ever spent imho - but then could not get the key cut anywhere. Eventually, my local Timpson manager did agree if I supplied a waiver saying I'd not hold them liable if the key broke in the lock (!) but this was after several requests.

I read up on the exact same system you have found, and was reasonably tempted, even after getting the IID tool. On the Jaguar forums, they seem a lot more open to trying this stuff, and the general theme seems that they are 'ok', but there are a couple of horror stories there of people doing firmware upgrades and 'bricking' various components.

The site you found is, I think, pretty 'grey' and if you look at the software versions they are using, they are cracked versions from the internet; big thing here is they can't be used with an internet connection as it breaks the cracked license, as far as I understand.

I've gotten an 'official' copy of SDD from the LR site a while back, was free to download, just can't register it or use it without a subscription, but the version I have at least lets you get into the pinpoint files for tracking down DCC codes, so it is partly useful.

So, passive diagnostics etc, maybe, but CCF editing and software upgrades, be very very careful.

Post #209905311th Nov 2019 6:43 pm
arthurdent

SteveNorman wrote:
It's not genuine.
Programming subs for SDD, after buying the hardware is £1293.60 per year.
Then you have to become accredited for security for key programming & security access which involves more money & public liability insurance etc.

Topix is £2408.40 on top per year

regards
Steve

Ah, ok. That makes sense. Thats a bit more than 400 I suppose!!! Cheers.

Post #209914712th Nov 2019 8:25 am
arthurdent

XDAndy wrote:
arthurdent wrote:

Cheers,

Coding the key is half the battle.

If the key itself if uncut, you might struggle to find anywhere to cut it for you.

when I bought my D3, previous owner had an uncoded/uncut ebay key he passed along. I got it coded easily enough with a IID tool - best £400 ever spent imho - but then could not get the key cut anywhere. Eventually, my local Timpson manager did agree if I supplied a waiver saying I'd not hold them liable if the key broke in the lock (!) but this was after several requests.

I read up on the exact same system you have found, and was reasonably tempted, even after getting the IID tool. On the Jaguar forums, they seem a lot more open to trying this stuff, and the general theme seems that they are 'ok', but there are a couple of horror stories there of people doing firmware upgrades and 'bricking' various components.

The site you found is, I think, pretty 'grey' and if you look at the software versions they are using, they are cracked versions from the internet; big thing here is they can't be used with an internet connection as it breaks the cracked license, as far as I understand.

I've gotten an 'official' copy of SDD from the LR site a while back, was free to download, just can't register it or use it without a subscription, but the version I have at least lets you get into the pinpoint files for tracking down DCC codes, so it is partly useful.

So, passive diagnostics etc, maybe, but CCF editing and software upgrades, be very very careful.

Thanks XD Andy, I appreciate your thoughts on that. I'll have to save for a GAP IID then. Interesting about Timpsons hesitation with the integrity of the key. The key is my main concern at the moment, I'm far too paranoid about losing the only one I have! The cheapest I've found so far is a company in Wakefield that will sort one for £120, but I'd have to go there to do it. It's not too far from me though,but still a good wad to pay out.

Post #209914912th Nov 2019 8:32 am
jenseneverest

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

i got that BT scanner i mentioned the other day, looks like it could programme a key fob to me....
I have no need to do so myself but i may get a fob to try at some point, i posted a thread on it here:

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2099463.html#2099463

Post #209946413th Nov 2019 11:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >