DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Just heard the Isle of Skye is 'FULL'
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Just heard the Isle of Skye is 'FULL'

Heard on the news that officials are pleading for holidaymakers to avoid Skye unless they have a reservation.

Is this a case of the NC500 atracting too many tourists seeking solitude and wilderness?

Post #18454959th Aug 2017 10:30 am
James W

United Kingdom 

Some of the scenes on the BCC news piece this morning were very sad Sad

Snaking lines of vehicles clogging up the roads and reports from locals of people just driving to the spot where they know a particular film was shot, taking a photo and driving off. It also showed some Chinese tourists getting a hire car stuck in the verge of the single-track lane.

It's been over five years since I was last there but I certainly don't remember it being anything like what I saw this morning.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #18454969th Aug 2017 10:34 am
Iguana

Ukraine 

Very sad, we've been there 3 times over the last 10 years or so, gorgeous place and never had any 'Traffic' issues
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #18455019th Aug 2017 10:39 am
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 

James W wrote:

It also showed some Chinese tourists getting a hire car stuck in the verge of the single-track lane.

The picture I saw of the Chinese tourist, showed a diplomatic registered car getting stuck, you would hope they would know better but given how many diplomatic cars don't pay traffic penalties.

Post #18455079th Aug 2017 10:56 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

On a side note to this, spare a thought for the islanders of the Hebrides, Orkneys, Shetlands etc.
These humongous vessels are docking and dumping tourists by the thousands on these once quite little islands.
Whilst it might be good for some businesses, I'm sure it's not good for all, nor the residents and 'normal' tourists.
When I get up to tour the North of Scotland [in my soon to be ready camper van conversion], I'm certainly going to plan ahead and miss these 'plagues of locusts'.
I'm quite sure there'll be many 'normal' tourists doing the same thing - and that's not good for the local busineses!

Click image to enlarge
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #18455179th Aug 2017 11:19 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

I had been saying this for a while.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic161016-15.html

Thing is the locals are suffering. Not only are the roads congested - convoys of same make cars, yesterday it was Lotus, hoards of motorcyclists, cyclists, but there isn't much money spent tbh, so there's no positives.

The cruise ships have always been there, just increasing in frequency. Its a frenzy when they disembark, walking, taxis, multiple busses and coaches.

There's also the point that they can't get medics and other professionals into the area to serve the resident population.

Put simply, they don't want to move into the area in its present state. SWMBO got offered a position to cover the West Coast and wouldn't take it because of the NC500 road congestion. A 40 min journey now takes over 2 hours. So one home visit would take basically 5 hours out of your working day by the time your finished.

I certainly avoid travelling in the summer and many locals are now getting increasing vocal in their opposition to all this. It ain't a happy place.

Post #18455319th Aug 2017 12:11 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Much of Skye is fine...well, okay.
I've been to Broadford twice this week with no problems.

The NC500 doesn't cover Skye. It was thought up to try to bring more tourism to less frequented places (although the Bealach na Ba was hardly quiet in summer for many years.
It IS problematic at the Fairy Pools, where some of the filming was done, and the Quirang and some other single track stretches (e.g. Fairy Glen).

The biggest issue that lead to the 'FULL' warning is accommodation.
We only book 3 months in advance but friends who leave their calendars open for a year or more are fully booked for July and August next year already.
They opened up at least one community hall last year for families who had booked no accommodation when the weather got a bit lairy.

We had a cancellation last week and although it was 4.30pm we thought we'd open up the booking.
By 4.33pm it was booked.
Many/most visitors don't seem to realise that May and September are better months to come (weather and midge wise).

On the subject of the Fairy Pools, there are better pools elsewhere and no-one, even locally, really called them the fairy pools or bothered with them until recent years. It seems some good tripadvisor reviews started a bit of a snowball effect a few years back.

Anyway, there are issues, but I wouldn't generalise it as not being 'a happy place'.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #18456069th Aug 2017 2:54 pm
Sea Raider

Try and get a ferry - bl00dy nightmare
I was trying to get to family on Mull a few weeks ago and all the sailings from Oban were booked days in advance.
Had to then detour to the Coran Ferry at Ardgour, single track roads to Lochaline and ferry from there to Fishnish on Mull

112 miles instead of 57.

Roads on Mull are mostly single track and are snarled up this time of year with Camper vans who bring everything with them and really spend very little on the islands.

All caused by the Road Equivalent Tariff and the weak pound Sad

Post #18456209th Aug 2017 3:26 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Lots of interesting points there. I think I'll leave my trip until the Autumn. Thumbs Up

Post #18456439th Aug 2017 5:31 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

A lot of locals are pretty negative about things probably because the congestion effects their everyday lives in one way or another. It's not like there plenty of alternatives routes, one road in and one road out normally. It maybe a generalisation, but a valid one.

Post #18456849th Aug 2017 7:20 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 

I don't blame anyone from Englandshire wanting to see what an attractive and beautiful country we have. Whistle
 Man with no D3 anymore, but cant leave the forum....how sad.  
Post #184584210th Aug 2017 8:42 am
Alex08

Scotland 

highlands wrote:
Much of Skye is fine...well, okay.
I've been to Broadford twice this week with no problems.

Broadford is easy - proper road.

It took me the best part of an hour to get from Uig around the north end to Staffin the other week on a Friday morning. Single track, campervans at 20mph, no overtaking, queues to get past 'beauty spots' etc

Tourism is to be encouraged but it does need investment to make it a good experience for everyone. Highland Council has dropped the ball here. Maybe we should lease the island to Disney as they can manage queues, allocate time slots for attractions and keep smiling the whole time.

It is REALLY busy just now - much more so than before. We live opposite the Quairang where most of the 'scenic' shots for the BBC piece were filmed - I should probably put camping in the barn on airb&b for some exorbitant price!

Post #184595910th Aug 2017 2:31 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Don't you live atop the Erskine Bridge anymore? Wink

You have a barn opposite the Quirang and it's not on Airbnb!!
You could have a new D5 by the end of the season! Very Happy
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #184599910th Aug 2017 4:37 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Confused
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #184607810th Aug 2017 9:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Whilst Skye is an extreme case, all of the UK that is anywhere scenic tends to be full at this time of year. Sheep

We were at a large camping/caravanning site in the Lake District last week and saw several families who hadn't booked but just rolled up, being turned away. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth Rolling Eyes

Why anyone would go to places such as Skye at this time of the year and not pre-book beats me Shocked

Post #184624711th Aug 2017 11:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >