Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Kenwood 421 (was in "are there any new deals...")
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
carnoch

Scotland 

Hi, no problem, I did the first part of it today, the fitting of the LZ702W touch screen. Bit of a prospect on a new vehicle, not even a week old. Anyway, took my time and with the aid of a digital dremel to ensure that the thing rebated into the apature correctly, all went very well, including the locating and routing of the appropriate lead.

Next step is to decide of where to place the Control Unit and Hard Drive of the 421. They are only 4"x3"x1' roughly. In the FL2, I put them under the drivers seat, but I am wondering if I can manage to fit them somewhere in the dash or the drivers side fuse box area. I suppose I could sacrifice the small of the glove boxes, but that seems a waste.

Then will have to decide where to wire into. Normally the Aux sockets would be a good idea. I hear they can be a bit difficult to access properly. I need a switched positive. I also need a battery always on positive. In the FL2 this was easy because the centre isle contained two Aux sockets of both varieties, but the Disco doesn't. I don't feel inclined to go all the way to the back, so the fuse box drivers side might be the answer, failing that just tap into a purple wire Laughing or off the back of the radio, hazards etc. Whistle

Anyway, suggestions on a postcard please.

Once done, I'll do a comprehensive guide and photos to help people.

Anyway, to people worried about mucking about with their pride and joy, believe me, car manufacturers are like builders. You find loose bolts etc. under the carpets, broken bits of plastic etc in the dash. so the chances of you making a muck up worse than they are pretty slim unless you have had a bottle of Vodka the night before or put it this way, if all you are doing is sanding or making a hole in a bit of plastic trim that will never be seen by anyone once you have replaced the trim, then so what! I remember asking a stealer, having had trouble finding a LR dealer who'd actually do the job, how much he'd charge for the job and they quoted £600 plus VAT you supplying the materials, like the 421 and 702 and I've seen firms on Ebay asking £1400 to supply and fit the Kenwood. They are not worth it. The job can be done by anyone with a little help or a guide. It's not rocket science or atomic fusion we are talking here - by the way if you are interested in that, give me a shout, I can probably have a bash at that too.

Post #40191514th Jan 2009 12:33 am
Hijack

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

DiscoDad wrote:
I'm still having a huge conversation with myself whether to go down the Kenwood route or to install this Pioneer AVIC unit which is designed specifically to 'piggy-back' on the factory fitted audio system.

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25/11...index.html

Hmmm, there is quite a few similar add-ons available in Poland - for some reason cannot find them on UK market. They are comparable with Pioneer, but are standard Windows Mobile products so any mapping software can be added, eg. one for navigation Tom Tom etc and one for offroading like Ozi Explorer, Memory Map

Here are links to English language sites ....

http://www.navroad.pl/english/NR750F.php
and only translated version of another (actually not that bad)
http://translate.google.com/translate?prev...ry_state0=
 D3 XS Manual - gone  
Post #40214614th Jan 2009 3:19 pm
carnoch

Scotland 

Cheers, the kit looks nice - and simple. I've fitted the Kenwwod system into the D3. Looks exceptionally nice.

Post #40566520th Jan 2009 12:57 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >