Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

both key fobs not working - help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
buda

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
keyfob

bear in mind you can buy a brand new fob with uncut key on ebay, landypartshop I think, at £70 buy it now price or bid, ---and I got one for £51. I would still need to pay dealer for syncing it to the car, 30mins work I am told, probably another £50......

Dealer quoted me £130 for the fob and £50 for matching to car......cant believe it £180 for a friggin key for the car......

Another thought is you might have insurance (house caravan or car policy) to cover lost keys, in the event of loosing them.......at this price it might be worth claiming..

Post #6461037th May 2010 5:21 pm
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Where do you get the key cut?
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #6461507th May 2010 7:04 pm
met

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

http://www.keysinthepost.com/

ive used this guy a few times and is very helpful and reliable indeed, scan a high res pic emali it to him with make and model and he sends you a cut blade, £10 all in

i also bought mine at 65 buy it now from landypartshop on ebay, if you send him a scan of your v5 with address as long as it matches your paypal he will also cut the blade in that price, i then got it coded at stealers for £50!

Post #6461687th May 2010 8:02 pm
buda

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
keyfob

I never got my key cut yet as I have it as a spare in case one fails. However I thought the local cobbler/keycutter could do it...hes done similar keys for me in the past.

I could also use the original key from the original keyfob as apparantly there is a minute pin that can be knocked out which holds it onto the keyfob mechanism and can easily be swapped over.........

Post #6462047th May 2010 10:07 pm
Renton

Looking at an uncut keyfob on ebay. Description is;
PART NUMBER: YWX500160 VISTEON
433.92MHz

The part number I have from an earlier order is CWE500041SW.

Are they identical or not?
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #64811512th May 2010 12:15 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Following a PM about this transponder thing i mentioned in my prior post on this thread, i thought it better to post up a bit of a better explaination here so anyoneone who is interested can read it and might benefit.

I dunno how i happen to know so much about them as i have never had any real big reason or cause to play with them although before writing diagnostic software for any system i do tend to figure out how it all works first.

Typically (dispensing with the phsicallities of the blade part and concentrating on just the electronic part(s)) modern key fobs do 2 absolutely and totally seperate jobs.

The first is to provide a remote (typically to 10 or 20 feet) radio link to the vehicles alarm / Body control with a couple of buttons to Lock and arm the vehicles alarm. This capability typically requires battery power of some form or other, a microcontroller to handle everything, buttons, a memory chip to provide individul per key data that stops other keys from unlocking the car, an RF circuit and usually an antennea track or chip. Basically a small PCB. Other buttons can be piggy backed on this to provide other remote controlled functionality. Typically there will be an antennea to an alarm or Body control ECU or a remote reciever module located in the vehicle for this and in the cae of the D3 this remote receiver module is located in the roof on the mid cross beam strenthener, about mid point in the car.

Digressing for a moment i should tell you that I once fixed a week old car for a dealer where, the car started and drove fine but would not remotely lock and unlock. Turned out one of the small bolt for the receiver module which also provided it with earth was not fully screwed in from factory. soon tightened and fixed. When later explaining the find / fix to the SM, i was stunned by the story of a mechanic who swapped the receiver out on a new Sport but somehow got the bolts mixed up and refitted a slightly longer one resulting in a nice bulging dink in the roof skin that required some serious panel beating filling and re spraying to fix. Rolling Eyes

The second job a key fob does is to mobilise the engine management. Typically there will be an Immobilizer ECU such as the EWS3D used by Freelanders and L322's (FFRR's to you) located in a very hard to reach place in the vehicle, This is connected with a data link to the engine management over which it sends rolling code info that causes the EMS to start. It is also coupled to a circular coil that is located around the face of the Ign Key barrel.
When a key is inserted and the IGN turned on, The Immobilizer ECU feeds Power to this coil which creates a field of electromagnetic energy.
This energy is picked up by a small chip in the key fob which is typically fitted as close to the key blade part of the fob as possible, has no legs and really just looks like a broken bit of plastic.
http://www.askthemechanic.co.uk/images/Slideshow2.jpg
These chips (generally referred to as transponders) are industry standard and some even contain programmable memory.

The electromagnatic energy is enough to power them and they then transmit data at a frequency that is picked up by the coil and relayed to the Immobilizer ECU which can then transmit back to the transponderif required but ultimately its job is to validate the transponders presence and allow the engine to start.

Most often the transponder and radio bits are fitted in the same key fob as it is in my 2003 L322 Key / fob. but the fact that they are seperate elements is shown by the fact that for a new key i would have to learn the fob to the Body control so it locks and unlocks the doors and then diagnostically tell the EWS3D ecu to accept a new key so the engine will start. however a 2001 on freelander has the transponder in the Key but the door / Alarm bit is a seperate fob.

In the case of the Disco 3, things are a bit different and it is only due to my having such detailed and prior understanding of what i have just explained that i am so interested and intrigued to note that there is a space specifically designed in the casing specifically for an industry standard transponder chip that is not used. Perhaps a back up plan Wink

As such i can only conclude that the 2 elements have been sucessfully combined and in the process the electromagnetic power picked up from the coil is now used to chage the fobs battery.

As such all memory for both functions must reside in the single on board micro controller located between the two primary buttons.

In addition, although a new fob can be learned to any vehicle, once learned it cannot then be re learned to another, so something is stored in the key fob.

Post #65393927th May 2010 6:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Renton

Colin,
Can we move this "final" discussion to another thread I started about this? http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic51258.html?highlight=
I already copied your last post into that.
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #65395127th May 2010 7:23 pm
DJH68

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

take a look at the link below - might be of some use.

www.keyrepair.co.uk

if repairable then certainly a lot cheaper than £180 from stealer!!!!!!!!!

Post #65396827th May 2010 7:56 pm
D3wannabe

hi, if they both just stopped working , then it problly a wiring fault, i think its a green and white wire , goes up to the reciver in the roof, you should have direct feed of 12 volts to it, if you dont , then it wont work the fobs and you cant remotely work the locks.hope this helps.

Post #65403327th May 2010 10:01 pm
simonw007

Hi,

This post inspired me to dig into my own key and find a supplier of a new key case Bow down . I have posted details and instructions on the RRS site here -> http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/post286311.html#286311

I hope they are interesting to some of you.

Simon

Post #74897418th Jan 2011 9:02 pm
M.V.Gregory

England 
fault locking

I have just fixed the problem with the doors not locking with the fobs.After dealer said it would be Mega bucks I was sent an alarm wiring diagram from a great guy on this forum ,it was easy to fix, if you dont have 12 volts going into the receiver in the Gren and White wire take a wire from fuse 43 in glove compartment to the receiver and it should work, mine did.
All the best.
Mal
 malcolm  
Post #7688981st Mar 2011 3:59 pm
scottiedogz

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Re: fault locking

M.V.Gregory wrote:
I have just fixed the problem with the doors not locking with the fobs.After dealer said it would be Mega bucks I was sent an alarm wiring diagram from a great guy on this forum ,it was easy to fix, if you dont have 12 volts going into the receiver in the Gren and White wire take a wire from fuse 43 in glove compartment to the receiver and it should work, mine did.
All the best.
Mal

Could you send me a copy of this wiring diagram - we are having an on going problem not being able to lock the car, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt - no pattern to it - both keys are temperamental but used to work just fine - we have been for long drives to charge them and it makes no difference. Strangely though this has all been going on since we had to have a new alternator fitted????
I am going mad - leaving my precious Disco in the car park unlocked!
Many thanks

Post #77269010th Mar 2011 12:32 pm
joakes

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Key fob battery replacement

One of my keys stopped working, its 6yrs old. As we know its really tricky to open the key fob case without damage. The empty cases however are available on Ebay from http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TOPFOBS?_trksid=p4340.l2563. The case i got seemed identical to the OEM with part no's etc, and all the parts from the old case fitted easily including the entire key section. The battery is also available on Ebay. The hardest part was desoldering the old battery and soldering in a new one, Maplins are currently doing a set including soldering iron and solder removing syringe for less than a tenner. The refurbished key looks like new and works great.
 joakes  
Post #8334739th Sep 2011 7:00 pm
Kristian

Norway 

Hi. I bought a disco3 10 days ago, and today i got this problem. My handbreak also stopped wtorking corectly. Can someone send me the wire diagram? Thank you

Post #83891223rd Sep 2011 4:04 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Re the taping keys together idea why not just use the key that is discharged in the ignition for a while as it will work and keep the good key in pocket or similar?

Post #8551494th Nov 2011 7:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >