Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

both key fobs not working - help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
barnstormer

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
More Key Cases in case you need to fix one

A few weeks ago I had one of the key fobs working less and less. I found this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DISCO...27c3ebc3a7

They are made by a place in China, look just like the real thing. You have to transfer the old blade (and just keep the new uncut one as spare).

With the instructions on here it took about 30mins to break the old one open, put the electronics and the blade into the new one and have it all glued water tight. I did end up putting thin slithers of cardboard into the new key fob case, because the rubber glove for the electronics was slightly smaller than the original.

Thanks again for a great write-up. I will try to return the favour one day.

Barmstormer

Post #9494031st Jul 2012 10:57 pm
m00ser

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Oops

Well, I got the new key case from ebay and the blade was cut for me too.
It's not exactly OEM spec, but the old case was knackered. Sad

Just to say I am quite a techie and do a lot of electronics stuff, so I thought thid would be easy.

If you are trying do, take note of the advise to be careful.

I inserted a small electronics flat blade screwdriver into the case at the key end, was careful and the case started to come apart. Very Happy

Then the dreaded crunching noise!!! Big Cry

I had caught the transponder for the immobiliser, got it all apart and then realised this was bad.

Tested and the key wouldn't switch off the immobiliser, oh s Censored t

After panicing for a few minutes I realised that the wire was still there going into the transponder and although incredibly small I thought, what about silver paint. There is no way to solder something so fine.

Popped down to Maplin and £9.99 later rushed home assuming it wouldnt work, painted it on, left it a while.

To my amazement the car started! Thumbs Up

Big sigh of relief, thought I was going to have to pay up for a new key plus programming. Embarassed

You can see my gaff below -

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #100384615th Nov 2012 5:37 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hiya m00ser

Nice recovery Thumbs Up

However, i hope you don't mind me clarifying something that may possibly still be of significance for you.

I note you call this item a transponder, which is actually incorrect.

If you read my previous posts on this thread, you will see that i am familiar with key fob transponders and was surprised that while the molded recess in the case below the part you repaired is specifically shaped for a transponder, one is not actually fitted, meaning this was merely an alternate option when the fob case was designed. I have actually seen this before. I even linked to a picture of what they look like, as they look like just a rectangle / block with a shaved corner and as they are entirely self contained, they have no metal contacts at all and as such cannot be soldered to a PCB.

I mention this not because it matters that you mis identified this part as a transponder, but because what the real role of this part actually is and that in repairing it you may possibly have degraded its performance.

The part is actually the Antennae, probably used not only to transmit data to the roof mounted receiver that is connected to the Body control to operate the Central locking according to the button pressed, but also to communicate with the immobilization system via the coil mounted around the Ignition key barrel that it is in very close proximity to when inserted. It almost undoubtedly plays a major role in picking up sufficient electromagnetic energy from that coil to charge the built in battery.

Clearly it is a vital part that if its functionality were degraded might result in you now having less range, or the battery not being charged as it should be and as such this might be slowly getting worse.

I hope i am wrong, but i thought i should mention this just in case.

Now you know this part is not unique to your vehicle, and if your PCB was not damaged, perhaps you should look to get your hands on some old key fob and swap the Antennae from that to yours.

Post #100388015th Nov 2012 6:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
m00ser

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks for the info, very interesting. Very Happy

The remote operated fine but not the immobiliser, turned the key then nothing.
That's where my assumption came from.
I assumed that the transponder was hidden inside the block.

So, I will keep an eye on the key to see if the "battery low" warning comes up.

Post #100388715th Nov 2012 6:43 pm
niallosullivan1

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Hi
I had a similar problem with dead keys so changed the battery in one of my keys but when I put it back together it still doesn't work. I can start the car ok but not remote lock it etc. I also bought a new key using the chassis number but that doesn't work out of the box and needs to be 'programmed' to the car (as per the key I changed the battery in it starts the car but won't open/close it). I have no dealers near me so is there any other way to match the key to the car?
Thanks
Niall
PS My spare (3rd key) works intermitently but life is failing in that slowly..

Post #100688221st Nov 2012 5:27 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

m00ser,
Well at least now you know and what to look out for Thumbs Up

Niall,
Changing the battery should easily fix the Open/Close problem, did you check the voltage in the replacement battery and are you sure you fitted it the right way round.

You can check this works before you put it back together.

It sounds odd that your new key would allow the vehicle to start, AFAIK you should have to learn this key to the vehicle using appropriate diagnostic equipment.

For your 3rd key, if you use it regularly it should get charged, unless the battery in that one is also duff.

Post #100693921st Nov 2012 6:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
steve223

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Guy's,

also have a intermittently working key, bought a fob housing from ebay but the one I bought from China has a different hole size so my old key does not fit

Click image to enlarge

I also bought the replacement batteries is there a tutorial how to replace the battery as it seems to be stuck
or soldered on?

Thanks a lot

Steve

Post #104581130th Jan 2013 11:31 pm
Tufty

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Did anyone try one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181042596094?ssP...1423.l2649

I mailed the guy and he said they are from China but he hadn't had anyone complain that they didn't work?
His feedback seems to be ok but you can't see what the comments are for as they are set to private.

Post #104582831st Jan 2013 12:01 am
steve223

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Purchased a FOB housing around a year ago and that fitted perfectly but the two I bought 2 weeks ago are both to small.

They look identical on the listing just the whole for the key release is to small

Post #104584531st Jan 2013 12:21 am
JimmyP

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

simonw007 wrote:
Hi,

This post inspired me to dig into my own key and find a supplier of a new key case Bow down . I have posted details and instructions on the RRS site here -> http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/post286311.html#286311

I hope they are interesting to some of you.

Simon

Sorry to resurrect an old post but just wanted to give a shout out to Simonw007 and his excellent guide for swapping the guts of your key fob over to an eBay blank. I followed his instructions today and my wife has now got a fully-functioning fob. The only tricky bit was punching out the roll pin from the new 'barrel' to swap the blades (original came out easily) but once that was done then it was plain sailing.

£15 and an hour of my time has got to be better than handing over ten times that to a dealer! Thumbs Up

Post #116437128th Sep 2013 8:10 pm
Ash3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
key fob replacement

Thumbs Up good on ya...did mine 2 dasys ago...bought a blank from flea bay for 15.. swapped the guts over..but would say there is no need to knock the pin to swap the blade from rotating barrel! You simply just swap the blade unit over into the blank...job done!! Thumbs Up

Post #116443028th Sep 2013 10:02 pm
JimmyP

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Cheers Ash.

Well I thought that myself half way through trying to knock the pin out so I gave it a go. Turns out the original is narrower than the eBay jobby I bought and it rattled when I dry-fitted the case (even with squeezing the top of the case tightly). So it was a matter of having to swap the blade itself to the new barrel and then reassemble.

Post #116444828th Sep 2013 11:19 pm
Ash3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Good point Jimmy

Though I guess it depends on replacement fob.

the one I got there wad not much difference and I used the original barrel, no rattling issues, seems nice n snug...For now!!

Used a cable to hold to pieces nice and tight after sticking the 2 halves together which I left on for a couple of days. . Thumbs Up

Do very satisfied on saving 150 or so plus that it would have cost to get a replacement from the local stealer!! Thumbs Up

Post #11653351st Oct 2013 12:48 am
Marmoset

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Just swapped both of mine over to new Chinese cases. Had to swap the actual blades onto the new pin piece as the hole was too small, as mentioned above.

Currently have them taped together touched they are working okay but what blue have people used - I'm thinking superglue will be too brittle if it's dropped? Other option is contact glue aka evo stik.
 2011 D4 SDV6 HSE
2008 D3 TDV6 HSE
2005 D3 V8 SE - left in Oz.. 

Post #117145713th Oct 2013 12:19 pm
Yogesh Arora

India 
Land Rover Key FOB Battery

Land Rover Key is permanently sealed. Changing its battery is a difficult task. You have to break open the case to take out its circuit, and then solder a new battery / cell at its place. See Video:

Land Rover Key FOB

Battery on Land Rover Circuit
Click image to enlarge

Here is YouTube video which will be helpful in replacing the outer casing and battery of this circuit.

Post #13527145th Oct 2014 7:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >