Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

both key fobs not working - help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
auAlan

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks "BBS Spy" for your informative posting some time ago. I recently purchased an after market Disco 3 complete key, had the blade cut and had the key programmed for AU$95. The key chip is recognized by my vehicle so will start the car BUT the central locking does not work! The "programmer" said that he could not programme it. Now I have a spare key that I can access the car with via the passengers door and start the car but no locking capability! I drove the car home with the new key in the ignition and tried to lock the car when I got out; no luck. The battery is new but another new battery was tried in case it was dodgy. My original key locks/unlocks the car without any issues. I would take it to another dealer but at AU$95 a try it's just not worth the risk. The seller is not interested because the blade has been cut and the key has been "programmed". Any suggestions? Sad

Post #150735927th Jul 2015 5:27 am
Jo4nne

United Kingdom 
My disco 3 keys are not recharging!

Hi all, can anyone help. Both my disco keys are not working, last week I had it in the landrover garage for the actuator/ handbrake to be sorted (that cost £975, and they where cheaper than any of the 4x4 centres), asked in there about a battery for my one fob that wasn't working only to find out that they are rechargeable so must replace whole key £210! (£140 for the key add vat and programming charge), now the second key has gone no way can I be paying £420 for two keys. Does anyone know any tips tricks anything I can do? Landrover suggested that the first key that wasn't working should be used to drive for a bit to see if maybe it could be recharged (he did say it was a long shot), I am really stuck!

Post #160862511th Feb 2016 8:12 pm
auAlan

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

I have one original key for my vehicle and two aftermarket keys. The aftermarket keys will lock and unlock the Disco manually via the passengers door and will start it however they will not remotely lock or unlock it; this is the cheapest alternative that I know of; AU$49.00. The keys need to be programmed and the blade cut; there are no batteries fitted or required inside the key fob. Your key should still work manually as mentioned above. Apparently a new battery can be fitted to the old key fob but the key fobs are very difficult to cut open. Good Luck.

Post #160868711th Feb 2016 10:11 pm
storz10

Slovenia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Re: fault locking

scottiedogz wrote:
M.V.Gregory wrote:
I have just fixed the problem with the doors not locking with the fobs.After dealer said it would be Mega bucks I was sent an alarm wiring diagram from a great guy on this forum ,it was easy to fix, if you dont have 12 volts going into the receiver in the Gren and White wire take a wire from fuse 43 in glove compartment to the receiver and it should work, mine did.
All the best.
Mal

Could you send me a copy of this wiring diagram - we are having an on going problem not being able to lock the car, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt - no pattern to it - both keys are temperamental but used to work just fine - we have been for long drives to charge them and it makes no difference. Strangely though this has all been going on since we had to have a new alternator fitted????
I am going mad - leaving my precious Disco in the car park unlocked!
Many thanks

I have the same problem. If I understand, the green/white wire wich is connected on the reciver under the roof. There must be 12V, on my is only 1,75V. Seems to be broken wire. Near is blue wire and the ground (-) is on the circuit plate...... Rolling Eyes

Post #185197428th Aug 2017 4:04 pm
cestor

Israel 2008 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
inductive charging not working

I know this is an old thread but...
following the advice on this thread, I opened up the case, unsoldered the old battery, and soldered in a new one. tested with multimeter to ensure the connection is good, and the car was able to lock and unlock fine. After a couple of days, it stopped working. Opened the fob again and tested the voltage - it had dropped to 1.2v. Tried putting it on an electric toothbrush holder with no result.

Lost the spare key a while ago so oops.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? does anyone have the wiring diagram mentioned above?

Post #188448928th Nov 2017 5:21 pm
LandyNoob

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi everyone,

I appreciate that this is a very old thread and hasn't had any posts recently, but I'm in despair so thought I'd give it a shot over here.

I've had my Disco 3 for about a month, first time owner so never had the same tech before. The case of the key was knackered so I have re-cased the original PCB. Battery was dead and wouldn't lest longer than a few hours. Ordered a new battery and soldered it in place as I'm an electronics enthusiast so used to doing stuff like this. Lasted about 3 days and same problem.

As a long shot I decided to buy another battery and I charged it for 12 hours before soldering it onto the PCB. Worked for 1 day. If I drive to work I can lock the car, come out of work 8 hours later and it's dead.

Dealer want £284 for a new key plus programming, is there anything else I can check first? How can I tell if the induction coil in the barrel is working? It must provide some charge as the key will work once after a journey. I assume that the PCB in the fob is faulty and draining the battery as a fully charged battery should have lasted longer than a day anyhow.

I can get a copy key for £130 but he can only program from an original Landy key, so if the original dies completely I have no backup for getting it replaced. Do I just pay the extortionate dealer price for a new genuine part?

Thanks in advance,
Bret

Post #234251017th Jul 2023 8:24 pm
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I suspect that your assessment that the induction charging is working and that the fault lies elsewhere is correct.
Spare keys work after being left in a drawer for months.
1 possibly is that 1 of the keys switches is remaining on.
You might experiment by removing the battery and reconnecting it via a meter, to see what the current drain is.

As an aside these batteries should be charged from a constant voltage source and can be damaged if they are not.

If you search this site you will find that the car is programmed to recognise additional keys rather than new keys being programmed to recognise the car.

EDIT Only partially correct. The car will only start if the car has been programmed to recognise the key but the key has to be programmed to recognise the car, and lock / unlock it. Both programming operations can be carried out during the same process.

The process requires a working, that is a programmed, key before the car is programmed to accept 1 or more additional keys.

If additional keys are to be added at different times then all the keys must go through the process, (again for the older ones), each time.
New keys can be purchased for £15 - £30 and require cutting to match the original before the programming process.

So yes there is an alternative to paying for a genuine key but you need your original to work for a couple of minutes during the programming process.

Last edited by ronald.soak on 18th Jul 2023 11:31 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #234254718th Jul 2023 12:56 am
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Just a thought. You say that you can lock the car after a drive to work. Can you then unlock the car immediately after locking it?

Post #234254818th Jul 2023 1:10 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have read that the keys can be recharged on other wireless charging bases. Toothbrush charger perhaps, or wireless phone charger? I rotate my keys when I remember, but they have sat in a drawer for a year and still work fine.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #234255118th Jul 2023 7:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >