Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Lack of power at low revs.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I believe all opinions are welcome and to be encouraged, it is this which makes this place the success it is.
I made no reference as to your right to have an opinion, but you choose to publish your opinion on a public forum with a very large international membership.

And so you should reasonably expect it will be subject to scrutiny, if not rebuttal.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #219671028th Dec 2020 2:14 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Bow down Bow down Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Bow down Bow down

Post #219671428th Dec 2020 8:54 am
Kviasen

Norway 

I actually ment that it was Profsr that had right to an opinion but lets say that by trying to clean it it can go both ways 😎

Post #219672828th Dec 2020 10:43 am
GDM

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I took the Discovery for a run today and there was no improvement from checking the actuator linkage, or cleaning the MAP sensor. I checked the codes again this evening and I still had the PO23D code and also this one: -

I cleared both, went for a 10 mile run and neither returned. However, performance is still the same.

Post #219729730th Dec 2020 2:21 am
PROFSR G

Just check the plug on the MAF sensor and then clear the fault, check also you're air filter is not filthy.
If it persists you may need to replace it but it's performance can be assessed in "live values"

Remember too that the power starts to kick in at around 1500 rpm! Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #219730030th Dec 2020 2:55 am
Kviasen

Norway 

You have to check all the turbo/ intercooler hoses for splits or deformation and even the intercooler itself.
The last fault code P0101 points to that there is a mismatch of air sendt to engine and what actually ends up in the engine.

Post #219733330th Dec 2020 9:56 am
GDM

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

PROFSR G wrote:
Just check the plug on the MAF sensor and then clear the fault, check also you're air filter is not filthy.
If it persists you may need to replace it but it's performance can be assessed in "live values"

Remember too that the power starts to kick in at around 1500 rpm! Thumbs Up

Will check the plug. The P. O. was quite meticulous about servicing, so I would think that the filter would be alright but I will check.

The power on this doesn't come in until about 2000 RPM. I am beginning to think that it could be a worn out turbo.

Post #219763031st Dec 2020 12:12 am
GDM

Kviasen wrote:
You have to check all the turbo/ intercooler hoses for splits or deformation and even the intercooler itself.
The last fault code P0101 points to that there is a mismatch of air sendt to engine and what actually ends up in the engine.

I did think about the turbo hoses but I have had split ones before on a D5 and a Td6 RR and they were not quite like this, more noise when accelerating and less power across the whole rev range. Worth a check though, I suppose.

Post #219763131st Dec 2020 12:15 am
GDM

Oddly the car does now seem to pull a bit better at lower revs. I am still getting a MAP sensor fault code though, so I guess it would be worth fitting a new one.

Post #21982712nd Jan 2021 1:11 am
PROFSR G

MAP sensor only, or MAP and MAF? And, after how long a drive / ign cycles?
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #21982782nd Jan 2021 2:04 am
GDM

MAP sensor only at the moment but I haven't taken it for a long drive yet. A new sensor is only £60, so I have ordered one just to eliminate it.

Post #21985623rd Jan 2021 9:44 am
GDM

I have now fitted a new MAP sensor and cleared the codes and it seems to be pulling a lot better at lower revs. In 6th on the motorway it will now pull reasonably strongly from about 1500 RPM. Hopefully problem solved but I will try and remember to lubricate the turbo wastegate actuator regularly.

Thanks for all the help.

Post #22003479th Jan 2021 2:12 am
GDM

Back again!

The car did seem a bit better after I changed the MAP sensor but it still wasn't as it should be and towing again a couple of times recently has highlighted this. I still have no EML on the dash.

I have been searching some more on the forum and found some other possible causes of this problem.

EGR faults - The EGRs have been blanked by a previous owner. This has been done by removing the link pipes between the EGR valves and the inlet manifold, and blanking the ports. Is this correct, or should the valves themselves be removed.

Turbo intake pipe-work - I have checked that there is a seal present where the two pipes join beside the radiator and have re-attached the pipe securely to the MAF. The flexi parts of the pipe seem to be ok too. I just need to check the pipework connection to the turbo. Can this be seen through the wheel-arch, or is it best done underneath?

Exhaust link pipe - I can't see this from the top of the engine, is it easily visible from underneath the car?

Turbo impellor stripped - I have see a video on Youtube of a guy changing the turbo from under the car and when he gets it out the exhaust impellor is virtually completely stripped of vanes. Is this very common? I guess it could cause this problem.

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

Glen.

Post #221187018th Feb 2021 10:36 pm
PROFSR G

What fault codes are present now, and what MY is your D3?
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #221189119th Feb 2021 3:19 am
KevinD3

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

GDM wrote:
Back again!

EGR faults - The EGRs have been blanked by a previous owner. This has been done by removing the link pipes between the EGR valves and the inlet manifold, and blanking the ports. Is this correct, or should the valves themselves be removed.

Glen.

Check that they’ve also removed the butterfly valve when they blanked the egrs, easily forgotten.

On a side note, most of us leave the link pipes intact. Blanking is an mot failure, and while the tester isn’t allowed to remove covers and poke around, and therefore normally can’t tell that it’s been done, missing 2ft long shiny pipes are a big give away
 2008 HSE Stornoway Grey

My Wife thinks the D3 is a hobby, The D3 thinks the wife is 💕 

Post #221191219th Feb 2021 8:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >