Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Lake District Green Lanes?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
CFB

United Kingdom 
Lake District Green Lanes?

I'm off to Kendal tomorrow for a business trip and fancy exploring around the region while I'm there. Anyone know any easy/moderate lanes in the area for me to play? Will pick up an OS landranger en-route but recommendations are always best (especially when going alone!)

Any help appreciated.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #365988th Jan 2006 6:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: Lake District Green Lanes?

cotefarmboy wrote:
I'm off to Kendal tomorrow for a business trip and fancy exploring around the region while I'm there. Anyone know any easy/moderate lanes in the area for me to play? Will pick up an OS landranger en-route but recommendations are always best (especially when going alone!)

Any help appreciated.

You need to check with the local authority (a quick phone call will do), but the "Old Coach Road" which runs west from NY37957 21952 , or if you prefer 54'35"17N 2'57"39W is an easy/moderate run, in fact its very easy. Its a long drive from Kendal, but worth it.

Post #365998th Jan 2006 8:05 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Further to that, if you want it really easy, head to Grizedale visitor centre, there a few trails you can drive there, and they are all indicated at the visitor center.

Post #366008th Jan 2006 8:10 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Gareth wrote:
Further to that, if you want it really easy, head to Grizedale visitor centre, there a few trails you can drive there, and they are all indicated at the visitor center.

Thanks for the tip, I had planned to try Grizedale, it was featured in LRO recently as was the drive around Coniston water.
Post #366018th Jan 2006 8:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Careful on the Old Coach Road as last time I was there (admitedly a couple of years ago) there was a short stretch in the middle which was really stickey. Even the tracks in Grisedale have taken a lot of damage recently from forestry vehicles and very heavy rain creating "washouts". If you are on your own the last thing you want is to get stuck !

My favourite "solid" lane in The Lakes is from Knipe Fold (GR 342 995) near Hawkshead which travels North West to Oxen Fell High Cross (GR 328 018) which is on the A593 (Skelwith Bridge to Coniston Road). From there you can go straight accross the main road through High Oxen Fell to Hodge Close quarry then right down to Stang End and either left to Little Langdale (deep ford) or right back to A593. The route is all stone, with some tricky rock steps and narrow gates, but I have done it in a D3 several times without any damage or drama.

Alternatively for something a bit harder, from Kendal you can go North up A6 and up into Longsleddale. That valley turns from Tarmac into a stoney green lane, which eventually goes up to Gatesgarth Pass (which I believe is now shut / TRO'd) and certainy eventually gets way too difficult (but you will see that is pretty obvious once you are up there). Alternatively half way up Longsleddale you can turn left at Sadgill and drive over to Kentmere. From there you may be able to go over the Garburn Pass (but again I suspect that may also have a TRO on it - and is pretty hard - so need to check with National Parks Authority ROW officer - who happens to be based in Kendal). {TRO = Traffic Regulation Order = shut !}.

Enjoy (and don't worry about me stuck in the office Confused )
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #366459th Jan 2006 12:16 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The Garburn and Gatescarth passes have an experimental TRO with a permit system in operation. You have to apply in advance to drive these routes.

You will find the following link valuable. There is also a TRO in operation on the route you describe to Little Langdale, you must turn right only, and head back to the road.

http://www.lake-district.gov.uk/gtga_dr_li...earch=true

Post #366489th Jan 2006 1:10 am
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Newbei ...

TRO'd ?????
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #366509th Jan 2006 1:15 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

lee01277 wrote:
Newbei ...

TRO'd ?????

Traffic Regulation Order = CLOSED Crying or Very sad

Post #366519th Jan 2006 1:19 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think I will use this oportunity to ask all Discovery 3 owners who want to go off tarmac and do some green laning to join an organisation such as GLASS (Green Lane Association).

Not only will it give you chance to read about/meet other like-minded people, you will get access to the latest information.

Remember that green laning is severely under threat, and organisations like GLASS are fighting our cause, but need our help. We have a lot of enemies out there who like to see anything not tarmaced, closed to all vehicles for ever.

You must research your planned routes, ignorance is no defence, and it will be ammunition to the anti 4x4 brigade if you make an innocent mistake and drive a closed road. They are not always clearly marked.

http://www.glass-uk.org/

Post #366539th Jan 2006 1:27 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Gareth, I don't disagree, although it is interesting to consider the situation in Edinburgh recently. There TRO's were used to restrict vehicle access to large parts of Princess Street and George Street as part of a traffic management exercise. The driving public hated the changes, so they ignored them and continued to drive where the new signs said they couldn't. The police were powerless to stop so many people ignoring the signs so the council releneted and reopened the roads.

Green Lanes are obviously different beasts, but I have seen situations where user groups have co-operated with local authorities wishes to restrict access to Lanes, only to see them actually use the lower useage as an excuse for permanently shutting the lanes thereafter.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #367009th Jan 2006 4:48 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
My tale of driving a UCR alone!

Thanks for all the tips, didn't have a lot of time in the end but found a UCR leading from Satterthwaite to Grizedale, checked the sign and it was open so though I'd give it a go.

Started nice and gentle, it was quite narrow and there were quite a few branches overhanging but there was nowhere to turn back so I carried on, nothing to test the car really (only the driver as I was perilously close to the dry stone wall and some trees on more than one occasion).

Then I came across a fairly steep narrow rocky stepped section, engaged 'rock crawl' etc and eased up no problem, the car is so capable on this type of terrain. A bit more easy stuff then a really tricky rocky bit that I didn't fancy in my shiny new motor but again no way of turning so I tackled it nice and slow using all the right TR settings and after 10-15 mins I made it through.

I had begin to run out of time by now, the lane was getting narrower and I was worried about the amount of branches and brambles that were scraping down the side of the car so I spotted a gate into a farmers field and decided to turn around. At this point I realised why laning alone is not a good idea!

I eased the car slowly through the gate with less than an inch to spare either side due to the narrow angle and once in the field I turned around and headed back. As I eased the nose through the gate (uphill and quite muddy), the rear wheels lost traction and slipped on a huge tree route, the car lurched to the left leaving the wing mirror tight against the stone post, oh sh*t I thought I am going to do some damage here. I got out and folded the mirror in then gently rolled her back and managed to not damage anything. I tried again but again the car lost traction and slipped sideways, I tried 3 or 4 angles and all to no avail, I was stuck in the bloody field. Embarassed

As the light started to fade I was faced with one of those awful decisions. Do I ring for help and look a real idiot or try again? I reckoned that with enough speed the momentum would take me over the tree route but with the real danger that if the car had slipped sideways at speed I could have ended up with the nearside bodywork jammed against a stone post and some serious damage would have ensued. After some deliberation I went for it, just enough speed to keep the momentum going and I made it through!!

It was good fun but not really suitable for a shiny car, I don't think I will go alone next time and will stick to more open routes. I must try and find a supplier of the 'cling film' that has been mentioned (although I cleaned the car today and there are no scratches at all, I think the paint protection has done it's job).

A few pics are in my gallery!
Post #3697211th Jan 2006 1:36 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Andy,
i've got a spare roll of film, needs to be applied to a clean-ish and dry car though, PM me if you're interested, cost me £35.00

Glad you survived with pride intact Thumbs Up

Post #3697811th Jan 2006 2:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >