Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Lake District green lanes (was 3 days to go)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Guy

United Kingdom 

Oh, and I forgot to mention: there are some nice little roads up through Grizedale and, of course, it's obligatory to take a new D3 for a jaunt over Hardknott and Wrynose... Bow down

Post #462698th Mar 2006 12:03 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

And you could go and drive Walna Scar, if you are feeling adventurous, it will close on the 11th March for repairs, and could remain closed for the summer Crying or Very sad

Post #462718th Mar 2006 12:07 am
JMC

Scotland 

I've heard a lot about the Garburn Pass. What's the story? The first time I bought a 'brand new' car (300 TDi XS) I had it over the Corrieyerrack Pass within a week. In fact, I'm one of the few who have take a road going 4x4 through that pass and out the other side without having to turn back!!!

Post #462778th Mar 2006 12:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Garburn is great, but you need a permit from the LDNPA to drive it. Permits are free, but limited. If you are getting permits, get one for the Gatesgarth Pass also.

Post #462788th Mar 2006 12:14 am
JMC

Scotland 

Don't like the idea of a permit. sounds too much like Tony B-Liar has a hand in it!!!

Looks like it will be Corrieyairack again. Ho Hum!! 8)

For those that don't know, the Corrieyairack is Scotlands only real 'Green Lane'. Built in 1732 by General Wade on his way to crush the Jacobites it remains on the statue books as the 'kings Highway'. Twenty Five miles long and once known as the highest road in the UK, the sign reads " High Altitude Pass. Vehicular Traffic Not Advised. Road Normally Impassible in Winter." It should read that it is normally impassible without a Soluhull product. I love it up there. A 4x4 isn't run-in unless it's been to Corrieyairack. Mind you, I've seen Cossacks and Terranos up there Shocked

Post #462818th Mar 2006 12:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

In my opinion the permit system works extremely well for certain 'honey pot' green lanes. These are lanes that are absolutely classic routes, and cannot take the volume of traffic that would normally be encountered. In normal circumstances lanes like this would end up with permanent TRO's. and would be lost to us forever.

The LDNPA have implemented this scheme as a trial. As far as I am aware it is working well, and only serious green laners have the knowledge and the foresight to apply, everyone who drives the lane is logged, (I have no problem with that - I have nothing to hide) and the lane can be managed properly.

There are other managed lanes throughout the country, the Gap Road in South Wales is another, which is only opened to motorised transport in March and September of each year (I think?) again, it is a classic route that would be lost forever without proper management.

I think the permit system on certain green lanes is the right way forward.

Post #462878th Mar 2006 12:34 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

looks like an ideal meet-up for Disco3'ers then Very Happy

Post #462888th Mar 2006 12:35 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Could be, but these lanes would be serious Censored ! I am going on these lanes in June in my 2a, I will report as to D3 suitability!

Post #462898th Mar 2006 12:37 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

BTW, one of the lanes on the Salisbury bash has recently been reclassified from a bridleway to a byway - now that's progress Very Happy

Post #462908th Mar 2006 12:37 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Certainly is! all is not lost.

Post #462918th Mar 2006 12:39 am
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
the lakes

Just been on the top road between Windermere and Ullswater. At 1450 feet it was - 3 and still 2 or 3 inches of snow.

Having a brill time , until one of the local 44 seater buses was wanting to get past me .. Embarassed

Put me back in my place in terms of the locals coping with the soft stuff as normal, and there was me thinking I was at the top of the food chain!
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #462958th Mar 2006 1:26 am
SN

Guy wrote:
... obligatory to take a new D3 for a jaunt over Hardknott and Wrynose... Bow down
Did these two in the 1980's in a 1600cc Ford Cortina - looking forwards to doing it properly in a D3 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #463038th Mar 2006 1:51 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

My first trip on the day I collected my brand new D3 from Carlisle was over Wrynose and Hardnott. It was November 2004 and there was a lot of ice where water had spilled accross the road. We actully got quite worried on Hardknott as on the way up the ice got worse and worse and I really did not want to have to turn around. Just over the top towards Esk Dale we found a Range Rover totally stuck. He had slipped on an ice sheet, rotated sidways and become jammed accross the road literally between a Rock and a Hard Place (ie another Rock). He was totally freaking out as it was getting late and he had no idea how to get unstuck. It took a very strong tow rope and a very firm pull on his front cross member to pull him free (leaving the front valance hangng off). He was overjoyed. The D3 was a dream to drive and terrain response and HDC did a great job. If I hadn't been 100% convinced I had made a wise move buying the D3 before that, I was 110% sure after that day.

If you are determined to get off highway in a brand new Disco 3 I would stick to the less severe tarmac free lanes around Tarn Hows and Hodge Close and Little Langdale (especially if you are in a single car team). At this time of year the vegetation is well back and there are low numbers of walkers mid week. The lanes around that area are very firm, stoney routes. Care will be needed on a few rock steps and narrow gates, but my D3 has done these routes a few times without any drama or damage. Always worth taking a bow saw and hedge clippers though as there are still some low wind blown tree branches and protruding vegatation in a couple of places. As for good hosteleries, you could try The Drunken Duck, The Three Shires and The Brittania Inn, all of which are near the routes. All do reasonably priced B&B (although Drunken Duck has gone right up market and isn't quite the cosy / informal place it used to be). A couple of pints of Coniston Bluebird or Hartleys XB will make the world an even better place......
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #463308th Mar 2006 9:05 am
JMC

Scotland 

Thanks for all the pointers guys! I did get sleep last night but I had to 'endure' a whole bottle of my favourite red in order to become tired Wink

Two days to go....... Laughing

Post #463338th Mar 2006 9:22 am
SN

JMC wrote:
Thanks for all the pointers guys! I did get sleep last night but I had to 'endure' a whole bottle of my favourite red in order to become tired Wink

Two days to go....... Laughing
Remember that feeling well (was only 4 weeks ago Very Happy )

Smarticus: it sounds liek you know the lakes well - have you got a marked up picture of a map (or multimap references) where some of these lanes are? (as previous post don't need hardknott/wrynose pointing out)
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #463398th Mar 2006 10:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >